Community Forum

TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops

Highlighted
New Poster

TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops

Just bought a TCL 4K TV with new Twisted Vines 4k capable HDMI cables, 15ft, and randomly every other day or so the signal drops out and the TV has full screen white static noise with audio pops.  I tried a different input on the TV and then it happened again.  I then tried a different HDMI cable and it happened again.  I exchanged the TV for the exact same model and we had 4 days of TV usage and then it happened again.  I'm now thinking it might be the signal output from our X1 DVR box.  The DVR box is set to output best available 4K signal.   Anyone else have this issue?  

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops

Everything worked fine before adding a new tv?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops

hi,

we started having same issue after about a year with no issues with 4k TV & cable box.  No reason for it as far as hardware changes.  A couple weeks ago, it worked while on but once tv was turned off, next time you come back we got white noise and crackling you describe; could only pull power out and let it go thru welcome/setup to correct it.  Real PITA. Tried same things you did, switched out  HDMI cable, changed HDMI inputs, etc.  TV is 4k JVC.  Finally swapped out for new BOX at Xfinity store, went thru setup, looked good.  But after a couple power ups, same thing.  Thought maybe downgrading signal to 1080 or lower would work, no luck.  But after I got white noise again, just for kicks I tried hitting the XFINITY button on remote to bring up menu, and guess what, the picture and sound came back fine.  So for now, my workaround is hitting XFINITY then Exit buttons until Comcast figures out what they changed as far as the signal strengths, etc.  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops

That sounds promising since I'm having a similar problem. That was my next test to try to wake up the cable box first via pressing the "Xfinity" button, wait a minute, then turn TV on.

Update - that did not work for my issue.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops

I just bought a LG c9 tv and I get same thing.  its definately coming thru my coax from home.  it resolves itself after 20-30 minutes...which is frustrating.  today its bad on nascar race on fox.  change a channel and its gone.  really hard to troubleshoot.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops

Any updates or resolutions to this??? I just went from a 1080p box with no issues to an X1 4K box for my toshiba 4K tv and as of this morning every time I turn it off then turn it back on I get a black or sometimes white static screen and audio pops. I’ve tried everything from switching 6 different hdmi cables, tried every port, and reset with no luck. Tried different TVs with same outcome. I know my tv is fine as hooking up a 4K computer, Xbox and Roku will all act just fine through the same conditions. Tomorrow I can try to return the box but from what I’ve read this resolves nothing
Highlighted
Expert

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops


@Waldo09 wrote:
Any updates or resolutions to this??? I just went from a 1080p box with no issues to an X1 4K box for my toshiba 4K tv and as of this morning every time I turn it off then turn it back on I get a black or sometimes white static screen and audio pops. I’ve tried everything from switching 6 different hdmi cables, tried every port, and reset with no luck. Tried different TVs with same outcome. I know my tv is fine as hooking up a 4K computer, Xbox and Roku will all act just fine through the same conditions. Tomorrow I can try to return the box but from what I’ve read this resolves nothing

do you have the DVR attached to your TV HDMI1 (one) jack? are you leaving the dvr on 1080p when not watching 4k?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops

Yup tried different resolutions and all 3 hdmi ports on the tv as well happens to all of them
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops

is there a fix for this? just tried getting a new box and the same issue exists.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops

I have a similar issue<br><br>When I turn on 4K tv and cable box with the all power button on the xfinity remote I get a second of static and a white fuzzy screen<br><br>Returned and exchanged TV, changed hdmi cable. Still the same issue. I’m going to request a new cable box.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops

Same problem but we just had a service call with all new fittings and all new cable run outside the house. Fine for two days and now pops and static all over again. So tired of paying through the nose for this terrible product!
Highlighted
Expert

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops


@Sue_N wrote:
Same problem but we just had a service call with all new fittings and all new cable run outside the house. Fine for two days and now pops and static all over again. So tired of paying through the nose for this terrible product!

did you try swapping out the set top box and power supply?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops

Good to know I'm not crazy but sad this is widespread and they haven't figured out how to fix it. Just had a service call today and the tech tried to say it was my TV HDMI port, but we switched my ROKU to HDMI and had no issues so thought it was the box. He swapped the box and its still happening. Luckily no issues when I switch to coaxial input but it creates a shadow/blurred display which is awful to watch. I need Comcast to figure this out.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: TV Signal becomes White Static Noise with Audio Pops


@im015055 wrote:
Good to know I'm not crazy but sad this is widespread and they haven't figured out how to fix it. Just had a service call today and the tech tried to say it was my TV HDMI port, but we switched my ROKU to HDMI and had no issues so thought it was the box. He swapped the box and its still happening. Luckily no issues when I switch to coaxial input but it creates a shadow/blurred display which is awful to watch. I need Comcast to figure this out.

on the set top box with the noise, use the voice remote "about". what is the rest of the line to the right of "STB Version.."?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!