Community Forum

TV Japan requires upgrade to X1 box but is "Comcast" internet required too?

Highlighted
New Poster

TV Japan requires upgrade to X1 box but is "Comcast" internet required too?

Right now I am a non X1 Comcast customer.  I used a cablecard in a Tivo.  But I have received a notice from Comcast that to receive "International" channels I have to upgrade to an X1 set top box.  I subscribe to TV Japan.  Channel 330 in San Jose, California.  The TV Japan web site confirms this.  Looks like "international" channels are moving to IPTV so I need an X1 set top box.  But the flyer says X1 and "internet service" is required for the upgrade.  It does not say "Comcast" internet service.  I have internet service through ATT Uverse right now.  When I called Comcast upgrade line that operator said X1 and Comcast internet service is required for the equipment upgrade.  I can't use the X1 box with another internet service, it must be Comcast internet service.  She switched me to the loyalty rep and he also said the new X1 set top box required Comcast internet service and it would not work with ATT Uverse internet service.    Is that true?  Do the latest X1 boxes only deliver IPTV channels when connected to Comcast internet service?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: TV Japan requires upgrade to X1 box but is "Comcast" internet required too?

Yes it’s true. It’s all account related, the X1 box doesn’t quite use your personal internet/modem , but there are functions of the box that uses the internet and that data has to be accounted for. Basically, you need a double play to get an X1 box. Others in the distant past have dropped the internet afterwards and kept the X1 box, I can’t say if you could do that today and as always YMMV

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TV Japan requires upgrade to X1 box but is "Comcast" internet required too?

Thank you!  I just wanted confirmation of that because I had orginally just ordered the upgrade to the new equipment and then the service person I spoke to mentioned that I had to have Comcast internet service, ATT Uverse would not work.  Fortunately I canceled the upgrade equipment mailing or I whould have gotten a piece of equipment that doesn't work.  Okay, now I know I'm going to have to switch from ATT Uverse to Comcast internet.  I've done that switching before at a vacation house i.e. from ATT Uverse to the local cable TV company (Spectrum in Kentucky).  It's a hassle but I've done it before.  So I'll have to sign up for a double play. 

Now what is interesting is that I have to decide if I can use my Tivo with the new X1 set top box.  But that's a different question. 🙂

Again, many thanks for the confirmation.