Community Forum

Switching from directv to comcast

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Switching from directv to comcast

I've seen similar posts but wanted to ask directly. House is wired for directv. Have xfinity internet with own modem and router. Adding comcast tv soon. Can I use the swm 4 way splitter and coax that is in place for satellite for cable or do I have to replace lines and splitter with more appropriate equipment? Thanks( sorry if I posted in wrong forum)

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Switching from directv to comcast

Just the splitter needs changed possibly use a no loss amp depending on signal levels

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

adding... look at the splitter(s). what is the frequency range? you need a high of 1002ghz or higher.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you for your reply. Here is a pic of the satellite splitter.20191226_222123.jpg

Highlighted
Expert

@Stevericc wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Here is a pic of the satellite splitter.

@Stevericc wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Here is a pic of the satellite splitter.

unfortunately until someone approves viewing of the image you posted we can't see it. what is the highest frequency it shows?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Sorry about the  pic ....info on splitter:

DC power pass.    2-2150 mhz 4 way splitter

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Any direct tv splitter shouldn’t be used. From someone who worked in the field, they don’t work well and always replaced (they aren’t Comcast approved).
Something like this is what is commonly used. You may need something else depending on how many cable outlets needed

94A1D2CC-0D4D-489A-BB9B-4B13125DEB89.jpeg
Highlighted
Expert

@Stevericc wrote:

Sorry about the  pic ....info on splitter:

DC power pass.    2-2150 mhz 4 way splitter

yes that is fine for frequency response. do you have 3 boxes and a gateway/modem to install/use?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I already have xfinity internet with my own modem and router. I'm adding comcast tv service with 2 TVs. I'm doing self install but not sure if the kit includes splitter. I assume this is standard procedure...I have 1 cable coming from box for internet. I'm adding tv service and was told a 2nd line isnt needed to add tv. Appreciate all the replies 

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

It should include 1 2 way splitter, so instead you’ll need one of these balanced 3 way splitters if they’re in 3 different areas

D062E74C-622C-4404-990E-9A2D4C1D3C0F.jpeg
Highlighted
Expert

I couldn't agree more with @CCAndrew ! That splitter is engineered for satellite service, not cable service. Being capable of passing such high frequencies could worsen the cable performance by allowing line noise ingress at those high frequencies to interfere with the cable services lower frequency range. A splitter engineered for cable service will filter / isolate that unneeded upper frequency range.