Community Forum

Sound but no picture on X1

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Sound but no picture on X1

I know this has been asked on here, but I can't find a solution.

I had been in Florida for the winter and got a new box when I returned in June - never had this problem over the last 15 - 20 years.

Every few days, I turn on my TV and there is sound but no picture.

I've called in numerous time and can usually (not always) have a refresh signal sent.

I can also unplug the X1 box and go through the reboot process to get the picture back.

I've read on the forum here that I should try shutting off the ECO mode on my TV, but I have an older (Sony Grand WEGA) and it does not appear to have an ECO mode. I did check the X1 box and it does not appear to be in ECO mode either.

Really frustrating to sit down at night to watch TV for a little while and having to spend my time rebooting the box - any other tips?

Almost went out and bought a new TV, but then saw that this seems to be a widespread issue.

Today I tried to use the coax connection instead of the HDMI, but couldn't get a picture even when the HDMI was working.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Sound but no picture on X1

@shibasrkpt wrote:

I know this has been asked on here, but I can't find a solution.

I had been in Florida for the winter and got a new box when I returned in June - never had this problem over the last 15 - 20 years.

Every few days, I turn on my TV and there is sound but no picture.

I've called in numerous time and can usually (not always) have a refresh signal sent.

I can also unplug the X1 box and go through the reboot process to get the picture back.

I've read on the forum here that I should try shutting off the ECO mode on my TV, but I have an older (Sony Grand WEGA) and it does not appear to have an ECO mode. I did check the X1 box and it does not appear to be in ECO mode either.

Really frustrating to sit down at night to watch TV for a little while and having to spend my time rebooting the box - any other tips?

Almost went out and bought a new TV, but then saw that this seems to be a widespread issue.

Today I tried to use the coax connection instead of the HDMI, but couldn't get a picture even when the HDMI was working.

did you try using a differnet HDMI cable (for example the DVD player's)?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I should have stated that theTV has a DVI HDTV connection. Cable has HDMI on one end and DVI on the other. Then has two jacks for the sound input.

Worked fine with the last box which was only installed a year and a half ago.

Is that the problem - if so - why does it work several days / week?

Highlighted
Expert

@shibasrkpt wrote:

I should have stated that theTV has a DVI HDTV connection. Cable has HDMI on one end and DVI on the other. Then has two jacks for the sound input.

Worked fine with the last box which was only installed a year and a half ago.

Is that the problem - if so - why does it work several days / week?

I don't know the answer to that. If I recall correctly, the dvi is capable of confirming HDCP security. Does the TV have any HDMI ports to use a regular HDMI cable for testing? 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the replies - unfortunately it does not have any HDMI ports.

I know that the TV is an oldy, but it works fine other than this problem.

I'd probably buy another TV, but after finding this forum and seeing that people with newer TVs are having the same problem, I'm thinking a new model might have the same problem anyway?

Highlighted
Expert

@shibasrkpt wrote:

Thanks for the replies - unfortunately it does not have any HDMI ports.

I know that the TV is an oldy, but it works fine other than this problem.

I'd probably buy another TV, but after finding this forum and seeing that people with newer TVs are having the same problem, I'm thinking a new model might have the same problem anyway?

only similar problem is the xg1v4 4k box. the other xg1 DVRs (have a clock) do not have the current problem. it is likely your TV's interface or the cable or the set top box is the issue. only way to test is to swap something. if you have another set top box substitute it and see if problem is gone.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

shibasrkpt, thanks for posting on the forums! Appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your sound but no picture issues on your X1 box. This issue is a little bit different from the issue I think you're referring to on the forums. Many of those folks weren't getting any sound or picture when they turned on the TV in the morning. I'll take a look at your signal levels and then we'll take a look at swapping the box as necessary. I've gotten your private message and will follow up with you there. 

Ken

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Great - thank you!!

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

shibasrkpt, nice to speak with you in private message. It turns out the older cabling you were using was the culprit! Appreciate the conversation with you and post again if you need anything else. 

Ken

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!