Community Forum

Recording on DVR are skipping

Contributor

Re: DVR recordings in the cloud Skipping stop/starting

Thanks for the explanation, but why does my hdd show 57% full if everything is stored in the cloud? Why have a hard drive at all? At least with my TiVo I could watch recorded programs with no signal. With x1 I need to have an active connection to watch recorded shows and that seems bogus.
New Poster

I totally agree.  We thought it was our DVR and started unplugging, refreshing, running down all the cords and on and on and on.  Almost took it in today to swap it for a new one, which would mean I loose all the recordings.  Glad I googled it and found out it was a nationwide issue.  An outage note with details on the home page would have saved all of their customers from doing this.

Have you ever tried using the Chat feature?  I seem to have much better luck with that and then I have a written record if I need it in the future.  The rep did all he could without making me jump through all the hoops first.  They still have no ETA, are compiling a list of all customers who called in with a problem, and credited my account $5.  I told him I thought that was insufficient and that I  thought they should add up the charges for the DVR service and DVR box and do a pro-rated credit once the problem was resolved.  He said he would do that.  I also think that they should do this for all customers, regardless of whether they call to complain.  They know when the problem started, what service areas are affected, and who pays for that service; and will know exactly when it is resolved.  It would be easy for them and it's the right thing to do.

Contributor

Thanks for the post, but first you say "national" then you say "your area". I assume you mean ALL areas?
Contributor

Well said!
New Poster

Re: Recording on DVR are skipping

I went on chat with Comcast this morning and she tried to tell me it was due to an outage. I tried to tell her that I had live TV but it was if we were speaking different languages......

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR Playback issues

It started yesterday for me.  It took me a ridiculous amount of time to watch a one-hour show because I had to keep backing it up to try to get all the dialog.  In some cases, it just skipped right through scenes.  I thought it was my DVR & was planning on swapping it for a new one.

Contributor

I tried to do a "system refresh" and got a message that there was a video outage in my area. But I had Live tv, and internet which is the first thing to go for me!
Regular Contributor

@kjakubowsk wrote:

It seems to be fine now in Chicago.  However, everything that I recorded yesterday no longer plays (even off the cloud).  It now forces me to On-Demand for everything that I recorded which means watching commercials with it.

FYI if you setup a 30 second skip button on your remote, you can use it to skip commercials in On Demand programs as well.

Contributor

How do you go about setting up that 30 second skip on remote?
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@schnappsy wrote:

I find it interesting that not one Comcast employee could take the time to post in this forum to let people know what is going on and that it’s a national issue. Wouldn’t you all have accepted that answer and not flooded the forum with comments? Just a few minutes of time would have made a huge difference. 

Another thing, why should I have to call Comcast and spend 30-60 minutes on the phone trying to get a $5 credit? My time is worth more than $5 an hour. They know the issues were all over the country. Do the right thing and for heaven’s sake, do your job. No need to get customers whipped into a frenzy for something that could have been answered here. 

Déjà vu all over again.  Same pattern of poor communication that we saw when the ability to set a recording via the Stream app was removed back in Nov 2017.  Most customers probably don't even know these forums exist.  Just think of the hours that were unnecessarily wasted by users researching that issue when a simple email or text message could have been issued.  My $.02 ...

New Poster

I have had this problem also for the last couple days in NJ too. Very frustrating to say the least. Work hard all day to pay Outrageous fees only and get more stress. Thanks Comcast
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I am glad to see that comcast was responsive to yall on this cloud issue but whoever merged our entire thread titled "Upcoming X1 Updates" which was over 40 pages long can you please de-couple it from this thread as it should not have been merged together, in my opinion.

Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Agreed
Official Employee

@Gkoetzner

This is affecting multiple regions within our service footprint. We will provide more updates as they become available. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Exit Exit Exit 0 0 3 0
It doesn't look like it's working but the page up button is 30 seconds ahead and page down is 10 second rewind
New Poster

Re: DVR Skipping!!!

I'm having same issues in Boston.... Where is this other thread with the national outage information? Link please?

Do they have someplace on the comcast site where they list outages?

I've only had the service for a few weeks now, not familiar with he site/threads. Thanks.

Regular Visitor

Same issue. Thought hard drive was bad. Any info from XFINITY tech? Started 1/22 or 1/23.
New Poster

I am glad to see I am not the only one with this issue. It has happened with all of my recordings since tuesday (1-22-2019)

With that said I am in Georgia, where are the rest of you? Is this a national or local issue I wonder?

Frequent Visitor

I'm in New Jersey, across from Philadelphia.

New Poster

Being in Comcasts backyard You probably have it the worst. Smiley Happy 

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR recordings stopping mid playback

We're having the same issue the past few days. Anyone have the answer? I don't see it in this thread.

Frequent Visitor

If I go to the right spot, I can literally see their headquarters from my town.  LOL

New Poster

Re: DVR skipping and freezing

I am also having issue with freezing and volume issues on recordings

New Poster

Same issue in Bloomington, MN near Minneapolis

New Poster

They are referring to an Internet outage. DVR is cloud based, live TV is cable, they are totally different technologies.
New Poster

Super frustrating to see that Comcast continues to hike rates and fees with little to show for it. It's no wonder some are cutting the cord and finding alternative means for video entertainment. I've been on the fence now for a while....this may finally be what I needed to push me to take the leap. 

New Poster

So I just got off the phone with Comcast and this is what the rep told me 1. They plan to have it resolved in the next couple of hours. 2. They are going to credit all accounts for all days were service was not working. We shall see....
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, AJ!!  I appreciate you letting us know.  Will keep fingers crossed!

Regular Contributor

@Gkoetzner wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, but why does my hdd show 57% full if everything is stored in the cloud? Why have a hard drive at all? At least with my TiVo I could watch recorded programs with no signal. With x1 I need to have an active connection to watch recorded shows and that seems bogus.

You need to understand how the DVR and Cloud recordings work with Xfinity.   When you record something onto your DVR it does record onto the onboard HDD.   However with the Cloud option it also records the same program in the "Cloud" on Xfinity servers.   Depending on which DVR you are using you probably have a 500 GB hard drive.   The Cloud will only save the last 60 hours of recorded content.
The cloud recordings are there to access via other means if you are not "in home" and do not have physical access to the DVR content.   For instance I can sit in my car, etc and view the recording content of my DVR(in the cloud) as long as I have a fast enough internet connection.

What to watch out for is the DVR HDD will hold a lot more recordings than the Cloud will retain however.

New Poster

In Michigan and we've been having issues will recordings since Monday. Anything recorded prior to 1/21 works fine, anything between 1/21 and 1/22 was spotty (maybe 10% worked), and since yesterday, nothing works.

Comcast rep said it's a nationwide outage, but she continues to try to fix the issue.

New Poster

Such great service

New Poster

bad dvr recordings

everything i recorded wednesday, 1/23/2019, has big stalls and gaps--unwatchable. what went wrong?

New Poster

I am having the same issue.  It started this morning for me.  I am really hackedb off if this is NATIONWIDE and they really seem to have no idea how to fix it.

New Poster

Re: DVR Skipping randomly

Customer service stated it is a software problem and they are supposedly working on it . I can't even watch anything.
Contributor

Thank you, and I do understand that.
Why then, at my home DVR, the machine I recorded the program on, does it show me it's playing a cloud stored recording? It should just play the recorded hdd copy without skips. But it plays the mutilated cloud version instead.
New Poster

Same issue here. Was told a new box would fix it, but it didn't.
Contributor

It's now 8:19 pm CST, I tried watching last night's recording of Chicago Med, no joy.  Wound up watching it on on demand.  Same thing happened with my recording of Chicago Fire.  It gave up trying to play after a few seconds and decided to just give me the on demand option. 

My recordings always played off the DVR before this week, since the problems started, they've been playing off the cloud.  No option for dvr playback.

So.... are we all getting refunds? 

New Poster

Re: DVR recordings stopping mid playback

The only answer i got was that they were aware of the problem and were working overtime to fix
New Poster

FYI I just finished up a chat with support. It went like this:

My DVR service is skipping and pausing and making recordings impossible to watch. Some even say they are no longer available and swith me over to OnDemand versions of the recordings. Unacceptable.
Customer 8:48:26 PM

"We are experiencing heavy chat volume, please expect extended wait times"... Comcast is falling apart I see...
Customer 8:54:24 PM

You are now chatting with Anjalika
Thank you for contacting Xfinity Chat Support.  My name is Anjalika.
Anjalika 8:54:29 PM

I apologize for the inconvenience.  Let me help you right away with your cable issue .
Anjalika 8:55:00 PM

Please make sure the  cable box and the  Tv are both on at this moment .
Anjalika 8:56:10 PM

they are.
Customer 8:57:13 PM

System is checking the device status on the account. It will take 2 mins, please stay connected.
Anjalika 8:57:48 PM

According to the Xfinity Community Forum, there is a nationwide cloud dvr service outage that is causing this. People from Sacramento to Boston are all experiencing the same issues.
Customer 8:59:17 PM

Yes, that's correct  , this is due to some upgradation in the features or the firmware  been going  on and these upgradation is about to completely take place now .
Anjalika 9:02:12 PM

Now I  am going to send the refresh signals to the DVR box and will take few moments to proceed.
Anjalika 9:02:40 PM

ok
Customer 9:03:09 PM

The signals are progressing and let me know  if you  notice any changes.\
Anjalika 9:06:16 PM

how? by watching dvr recordings already with issues or by recording new ones to see?
Customer 9:08:17 PM

The refresh signals have  been sent , once the device is powered back on please retry to record the new airing contents .
Anjalika 9:08:50 PM

what about my previous recordings, they cannot be fixed? Lost?
Customer 9:10:07 PM

Please be assured it will be fixed also once try to view the previously recorded contents and  let me know if the issue still persists.
Anjalika 9:10:55 PM

Ok. I'm currently recording two programs and cannot power the device off and on right now. I'll have to do that in about an hour from now.
Customer 9:12:14 PM

I rebooted my box and tried the earlier recording that was unavailable and redirected me to OnDemand - so that was not corrected.

I am viewing a show that I recorded this evening at 8PM and thus far it has not skipped or paused.

I do notice though that there is NO cloud icon next to DVR now when I play the recording.

Regular Visitor

We have the hard drive dvr and are having the same issues in Georgia. It's on every recording since 1/20.
New Poster

My live tv is fine. Dvr recorded programs are freezing & skipping. Began yesterday, so got a new X1 box today but made no difference. Checked all connections. I wish Comcast would send a message about what's going on. Comcast online chat wait wad 47 people long. This is not very good service.
Frequent Visitor

Great,  how do we apply for credit for the service we are paying for but not getting?

New Poster

Dvr recording playback keeps freezing

Dvr recordings keep freezing when I try to play them only the recordings in the last three days it acts like it’s slow this is third day it’s still not fixed
Frequent Visitor

Are we going to be compensated for this problem?

New Poster

WOW,  just read in one post that in order to get a credit for this customer has to contact customer-support (via phone, chat, or tweet) and give a reference number??  So even though Comcast ADMITS this is NATIONWIDE and effecting ALL Comcast customers, only those that jump through their hoops are going to get a credit for this nonsense!?

Cable-cutting is looking more and more appealing -- most shows to buy on-demand can run $2-$5 EACH... yet Comcast, I think I read, wants to offer a FIVE DOLLAR credit TOTAL for all the many show recordings lost and garbled???  All I can say at this point is wow, simply WOW! 

PS - DVR seems to be working now, but to know that we won't be getting a credit for this, this will be the customer's loss and the customer will be left holding the bag!?  That's their idea of customer-service and customer-satisfaction!?  No wonder so many always say to run fast and far from Xfinity, ASAP.   We'll discuss the options on this end, but Comcast, don't be overly shocked if soon you have one less high-paying customer, just FYI.   Rather bizarre how the consumer has to keep doing all the leg-work for Xfinity SNAFUs.  Consumer is expected to take DVR box in for swapping, and consumer has to call and be found worthy of a credit in order to be compensated for a poor service that effected ALL customers, wow!  -_-

New Poster

It would be nice to tell everyone how they can get their credit for the cluster this has caused. 

This am I could play my Dvr shows but with the horrible skips, but now it just re routes to the on demand and hosed with commercials! Already had a chat earlier, lied to about the time frame to fix, was told 2 hours in my area, ha! Why am I always swearing at Comcast? Why is it always letting me down? 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤮

New Poster

West Coast here (Seattle), issues started yesterday. Still no relief.
New Poster

I record since the payback from the cloud is choppy even with the additional performance package.... please fix as I don't think I'm getting value from my account.
New Poster

Re: Dvr recording playback keeps freezing

Same problem in the past couple of days.  Play back keeps freezing.  Any solution would be appreciated.

New Poster

Everett Wa same problem as of yesterday. DVR recordings revert to On Demand so you can’t FF through commercials. Calling to complain.