Community Forum

Recording on DVR are skipping

New Poster

Recording on DVR are skipping

Hello,

In the last few days all of my DVR recordings will not play back without several skips in the programs. I can not watch any of the recorded shows without interruptions. I’ve unplugged, turned off, restarted, ect. Nothing seems to be fixing it. Please help!
New Poster

Re: DVR playback is choppy

One of the DRV boxes starting having issues last week.  The playback on one of my boxes skips/is choppy.  what do I need to do to fix this?

Expert

@LORSULA wrote:

One of the DRV boxes starting having issues last week.  The playback on one of my boxes skips/is choppy.  what do I need to do to fix this?

use the remote for the 'choppy' set top box and say 'about' after pressing the voice command button. what is the rest of the line to the right of STB version ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

DVR skipping and freezing

Hi, I was having trouble streaming comcast tv on my desktop, I was getting error 11700. After getting some helpful information

on this forum, someone in second teir support deprovisioned my streaming devices, and I was able to log in and watch channels on my PC.  Yesterday, I noticed that I wasn't able to watch certain channels on the desktop and saw a little note about having to be connected to WiFi, when in actuality I'm hardwired to the router and modem. Fortunately after a day I am able to view all channels on the desktop. Now on my main DVR anything I recorded after the deprovisioning was done , freezes and skips when I try to watch.

It freezes and skips on the other boxes I have in the bedrooms as well. Live tv works fine, and the programs I recorded before the deprovisioning work fine as well. It seems like this problem has to be related to the previous one. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Contributor

Re: Unable to watch certain channels on my desktop

I am having the same problem but only with the Edge browser. If I use Firefox, I get all the channels I should. In my case, I live in Albany, OR, which is between Eugene and Portland. Both of those markets have the same networks but on different channels. I determined I am getting the Eugene channels, not the Portland channels which I should be getting.

I just checked my Stream again and it appears the problem has gone. I am getting the right channels on Edge again.

John
Contributor

Re: Unable to watch certain channels on my desktop

Spoke too soon. The problem has returned.

John
Contributor

Re: DVR recordings in the cloud Skipping stop/starting

Mine is doing that also, I thought it was my machines.  This just started last night. Have others reported this as well? 

New Poster

Why the cloud anyway? I have a cable coming to the house, why is it not just recording the show and who authorized otherwise. If I wanted a streaming service, I would stop paying Xfinity $200/mo and just subscribe elsewhere!

Contributor

My playback is now stopping and starting and losing sound. It has been happening since last night on recordings. Is this a problem with my machine or the cloud. 

STB version PX013AN_3.2p10s1_PROD-sey

Please assist. I see others are having this problem.

Rick

Contributor

flynrfun, are you having the same issue?

New Poster

Happening to me too. I can’t even watch a recording because it’s so choppy
Frequent Visitor

Mine is also doing it.  Driving me crazy.  Past two days have been horrible.

New Poster

I am having the same problem also are you in New England Island Vermont could this be an internet issue
Contributor

I am in Massachusetts. Regular TV is fine, just the DVR playback.

New Poster

Same issue in Georgia. Internet and Live Tv is great. DVR recordings are all skipping and freezing
Regular Visitor

I’m in NH and also experiencing the DVR-only choppy playback. Seems to be specific to recordings since 1/22 - I have an episode of a show from a week ago that plays fine, but today’s episode (same network) is so choppy it’s unwatchable. Wondering if there was some kind of server-side upgrade earlier this week that’s at play. Reboot/reset did nothing, version timestamp shows December.

STB Version: AX013AN_3.2p10s1_PROD_sey
New Poster

I am also having the same issue. It’s driving me NUTS! All my recordings are messed up. Please fix this ASAP!
New Poster

Same issue here. Tonight's Big Brother is terribly choppy.

We can't all have bad DVRs and the storm issues are a few days ago.

What's the deal Comcast?!
New Poster

I am having the same issue. Starting today I have been getting choppy playback. This happens on DVR and remote recievers in the house and in the Xfinity stream app.

New Poster

Same here as well.
Reset and unplugged several times, issue remains. All recordings AFTER TUESDAY are not watchable including instant recordings.

There has to be a nightly update that messed up the DVR function of all these x1 boxes at the same time.

Comcast, please inform and correct, at $200+ /month ....this is not acceptable!
New Poster

Yep, problem just surfaced here on our X1. Rcorded programs fail to play, or else they stop, skip, and blur. Please fix this, Comcast!

New Poster

Same here in Pittsburgh all recordings from Tuesday on are choppy with little to no playback. Have reset everything 3x with no resolution.
Regular Visitor

Same issue here in Newton, MA. All boxes the same. Choppy playback but live and on demand are fine. Sometimes the lag is so long it times out altogether. 

STB Version: AX013AN_3.2p10s1_PROD_sey

This might be the last straw for me.  The loss of the ability to use app to record shows drove me to start the process to moving to Verizon. Already changed my email provider so nothing tethering me to comcast now. 

New Poster

Same here in Houston since last night.  Frustrating!

New Poster

Yes, this is a widespread issue.  Also here in Massachusetts.  What the heck are you doing to resolve this issue, Comcast?

Frequent Visitor

Same issue here in NJ. Has anyone heard from Comcast??
Contributor

Same issue here in southeastern MA.

New Poster

Ok mine started doing this tonight. There’s a little cloud symbol right before the DVR on the time stamp. The playback is either choppy or I get an error message saying that recording is not available. What up Comcast? It can’t be everybody’s boxes all at once.
New Poster

Same issue in State College, PA.

I thought shows were recorded to DVR, but streaming from the cloud would make sense as a possible cause of the problem. I have shows that were recorded months ago that play fine. But my  recordings of  Pardon The Interruption on ESPND have looked like SD the last couple of days and today it was unwatchable due to stuttering.

New Poster

Has anyone called Comcast? I’m
Having the same issue but the thought of being on hold with them for an hour is almost worse than the choppy playback
New Poster

Same exact issue here in the North Metro of Minneapolis, MN.  All recordings, even those from tonight, are very choppy, stop and go, stop and go.  Regular TV appears unaffected.  My internet is working fine with DL speed +240 Mbs, UL speed of +15 Mps   This is NOT a hardrive issue either!  I’ve restarted EVERY X1 box in the house, twice, and in the proper order.  Still the same issue.  Did you guys push a firmware update to these DVR devices this week?   The issue seems systemic accross the US based on the above dialogs.   Please figure this out.  Service is almost $300/mo.  Would be nice to actually get my money’s worth.  Still on hold with them as well....guessing a few others are calling in the issue.

Contributor

Update: Now I can’t play anything I have recorded. I get the three dots and a message the program can’t be played but we have a free version of the program you can watch which starts the On Demand version of the program. Huh? And with On Demand I lose smart resume and in most cases the ability to fast forward.  Something is definately wrong somewhere.

Any Comcast people have any ideas?

oh good grief! Now On Demand is doing the same thing! Error then let’s use free version and now a blank screen and the On Demand program just closes. Done!

New Poster

Same here...in Indiana!
New Poster

Same thing "three dots then error" is now happening for me as well.

Frequent Visitor

Loveland Colorado. Same problem with any recording from the last two days. Prior recordings play just fine. This needs to get FIXED! We watch almost everything off the DVR, so this is BAD!

Regular Visitor

Exact same issue and STB version here in Minneapolis. Started last night. Can’t watch any DVR recordings from Jan 22-23 without skipping or stopping altogether.

Frequent Visitor

Central Indiana here. Same as everyone else. Choppy playback all of a sudden today, now black screen with three repeating dots then it either kicks back out to regular TV, says it can't play right now, or offers the OnDemand version if available. Super frustrating.
New Poster

chatted with Comcast and was told there is a problem with the cloud. Techs are working on it. Boy.....that sure clears things up.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks MLTWA.
Geez. They're so helpful - don't we all feel better now? Xfinity I swear ... 🙄😏
New Poster

Same here in NJ! Can't play anything now on my DVR, all boxes. Watched big Brother all choppy and Skippy,and now nothing will play. Restarted all my boxes and no fix. I set up for a call for tomorrow. Would love to know if anyone has spoken to someone yet
New Poster

Same issues here in Littleton Colorado. Spoke to Xfinity rep on the phone and chat and they both said it was due to a service outage on a pole in my area...which clearly isn't true due to people all over the country having issues as well. Then they sent me a super helpful link to monitor the outage in my area, and low and behold when I clicked the link it said there were no outages detected anywhere near me! So not sure where to go from here.
New Poster

Mine is doing the same thing! I just called and was advised that its a national issue thats currently being worked on.  I also texted the phone number given and it states there is an outage as well. And they wonder why I refuse to sign on for another 2 years.  

Contributor

I'm in IL and been having the exact same issues everyone else had been having for the same amount of time.  It's frustrating because I record shows and movies so I don't have to dsit through commercials. 

Since this is a system wide problem, does that mean we all get refunds?

New Poster

Unwatchable!! I expect a total refund for everyday that this problem continues!! Get it together Comcast!!!

Frequent Visitor

DVR playback choppy

For the past few days, the dvr playback has been choppy.  This occurred with both olf my boxes.  I have tried rebooting both boxes and made sure everything is firmly attached, but it continues.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Same Issues started tonight (1/23) here in So. FL also!

Regular Visitor

Same problem in Colorado for shows recorded today. Recording from previous days are OK. This is clearly a system problem. Why isn’t someone from Comcast replying with some useful information?

Frequent Visitor

Same problem. 

New Poster

Same. Just started watching the Aus Open. Unwatchable. (7pm pst).

But Vice news was fine (730 pst)

More importantly, why are these going to a cloud without my knowledge, when I’m paying for a DVR?!

I fully expect a credit since Comcast is a considerate and caring corporation.

SF, CA
Regular Visitor

Add me to the list. East Metro Atlanta area. Live TV is fine. Buffered, non-recorded live TV is fine. Old recordings are fine. Anything I record tonight is awful. Big Brother was unwatchable. Box is 2.5 years old, zero issues before tonight.