Community Forum

Recorded programs deleted automatically

New Poster

Recorded programs deleted automatically

Why do some DVR recorded movies get deleted mysteriously and others remain that were recorded at an earlier date?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

How many X1 boxes do you have and how many people have access to them?  I ask because my children delete recordings.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

No one else has access to my system.  I was out of town and my dvr showed 100% full but the strange thing is that not all of the older movies were deleted.   If there is no other reason that you know of that this could happen, I would assume that I did not choose to keep forever, maybe until space is needed?  Thanks for your help.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-overview

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

I have discovered that movies are deleted without input from me and when I search the previously recorded movies on my DVR they are unavailable.  However, I can rent or buy them.  So if I record a movie that is free today but somehow becomes one to rent/buy, it vanishes from my DVR.  This has happened in the past but I chalked it up to a fluke.  I can only surmise that it’s a way for Comcast to get more money.  Maybe you could look into this so we’ll know what is actually happening.  I pay $180+ each month for cable and the ability to record movies so this is very disturbing.

Expert

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically


@Parks65 wrote:

I have discovered that movies are deleted without input from me and when I search the previously recorded movies on my DVR they are unavailable.  However, I can rent or buy them.  So if I record a movie that is free today but somehow becomes one to rent/buy, it vanishes from my DVR.  This has happened in the past but I chalked it up to a fluke.  I can only surmise that it’s a way for Comcast to get more money.  Maybe you could look into this so we’ll know what is actually happening.  I pay $180+ each month for cable and the ability to record movies so this is very disturbing.


recordings can be set to keep for up to one year. if default recordings settings are used the oldest recordings (not marked keep a year) are removed as new recording space is needed. I have 3 DVRs (only two of us in home) to enlarge recording space.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

I have movies on my DVR that were older than the ones deleted. 

New Poster

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

Last night I recorded episode 1 of the Watergate series from History channel. The recording was set to keep for 1 year & I had plenty of DVR space. An hour after it recorded it disappeared from my DVR & isn’t on demand. Why did this happen? I was so looking forward to watching it! Can Comcast just delete our recordings like that?
Expert

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically


@Michholden wrote:
Last night I recorded episode 1 of the Watergate series from History channel. The recording was set to keep for 1 year & I had plenty of DVR space. An hour after it recorded it disappeared from my DVR & isn’t on demand. Why did this happen? I was so looking forward to watching it! Can Comcast just delete our recordings like that?

did you look in deleted recordings? did you check the cloud DVR to see if the program is on there? did you check all your X1 devices?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

Michholden, it doesn’t look like it was ever recorded. And your DVR is sitting at 99.21%, I’m not sure what you’re looking at. Watergate Ep1 is available On Demand, Ep2 is new 11/3 and Ep3 is new 11/4. I can get a colleague to look at the back end of your account if you wish.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

The same thing has happened to me over and over the last 3 months.
I had a tech out and he changed the box...Still same issue. My storage is below 50%...If I dont check my recently deleted file a few times a day I lose recordings.
I have called tech support yet again. And advance tech can evidently only call me during my work day.
I am about to.switch providers.
Expert

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically


@annrlcollins wrote:
The same thing has happened to me over and over the last 3 months.
I had a tech out and he changed the box...Still same issue. My storage is below 50%...If I dont check my recently deleted file a few times a day I lose recordings.
I have called tech support yet again. And advance tech can evidently only call me during my work day.
I am about to.switch providers.

when room is needed the scheduler removes the recently deleted automatically as a first step to make room.  if the tech changed out your DVR then the only recordings freom before that swapout that are available to watch are from the cloud DVR.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

Ok. So what I am saying we changed our the box because it was doing this.
It continues to do this.
I can go in once or twice a day even when no one has been home to find recordings from that night or the night before in recently deleted.
I understand about the cloud portion. I was not upset and understood I might lose some stuff in the transfer.
I am saying the box being changed didn't resolve the issue. I can also tell you the tech CHECKED NOTHING OUTSIDE. Not sure if he should have but the tier 2 tech agent over the phone said he was going to.
I have had this issue ongoing for months. About 3 that I can recall. At first I thought someone was deleting them... Then I started being more thorough with checking my DVR and noticed it was happening with episodes recorded the day of or night before when no one had been watching or accessing the tv.
So... No your response was not helpful but condescending.
The people commenting here are experiencing the same issues. It is probably wide spread. And honestly, none of us should be paying for DVR service that doesn't work.
I see a lawsuit in the future over this. The tech team needs to figure this out quickly.
Expert

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically


@annrlcollins wrote:
Ok. So what I am saying we changed our the box because it was doing this.
It continues to do this.
I can go in once or twice a day even when no one has been home to find recordings from that night or the night before in recently deleted.
I understand about the cloud portion. I was not upset and understood I might lose some stuff in the transfer.
I am saying the box being changed didn't resolve the issue. I can also tell you the tech CHECKED NOTHING OUTSIDE. Not sure if he should have but the tier 2 tech agent over the phone said he was going to.
I have had this issue ongoing for months. About 3 that I can recall. At first I thought someone was deleting them... Then I started being more thorough with checking my DVR and noticed it was happening with episodes recorded the day of or night before when no one had been watching or accessing the tv.
So... No your response was not helpful but condescending.
The people commenting here are experiencing the same issues. It is probably wide spread. And honestly, none of us should be paying for DVR service that doesn't work.
I see a lawsuit in the future over this. The tech team needs to figure this out quickly.

how many set top boxes do you have? are you in an apartment or condo (might be missing an POE filter)?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

I'm in a house.
I have a main box and two smaller boxes.
New Poster

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

Wondering if this is the problem.
How awful. No one has thought to check this. I have had two techs out in the last 2 weeks.
New Poster

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

No it was not on the cloud.  It just totally disappeared.  The next 2 nights I tried to record the next 2 episodes of the same series & THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO THEM!  Plenty of storage space but this series refused to record on my DVR!  Sounds like a political consipiracy to me as it had to do with Richard Nixon Watergate scandal a few days before the midterm elections!!  It finally showed up On Demand & I was able to watch it then...  But my DVR IMMEDIATELY deleted the 3 programs IMMEDIATELY after recording them!!

 

New Poster

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

But it WAS recorded as I saw it recording!  It did the same thing to the next 2 episodes of the series!!  Sounds like a political conspiracy to me as it happened just days before the elections & it had to do with Richard Nixon & the Watergate scandal!!  It did finally appear On Demand & I was able to watch it then..  Something was definitely mysterious about my DVR NOT recording any of that series!!

 

Official Employee

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

Hello, Michholden. Welcome to the Xfinity Forums.

I would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you. Please send me a Private Message with your first and last name and I can take a look at your recording history to see why things are getting deleted and find a solution for this. 

 

 

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Recorded programs deleted automatically

As there have not been any new comments in a week, I have closed this thread to further comments. If anyone here still needs assistance, please feel free to start a new thread. 

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!