Community Forum

Record unwatched only

Highlighted
New Poster

Record unwatched only

I’m submitting a request to add “Unwatched Only” to the series recording options. If you’re trying to catch up on an entire series, “New & Repeats” will keep recording the same episodes over and over.
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Record unwatched only

This is already a thing, its called ‘new episodes only’. When selecting it it will only record episodes that arent already recorded.
Highlighted
Expert

@BHelms07 wrote:
This is already a thing, its called ‘new episodes only’. When selecting it it will only record episodes that arent already recorded.

unwatched is 'per account' for that season/episode no matter if it is new or repeat. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

"New Episodes Only" doesn't work in the scenario I'm describing. Say a show has 5 seasons, and a channel frequently shows reruns of those 5 seasons. If I want to catch up on that show, I have to use "New and Repeats" or they won't be recorded. But since the channel keeps re-running the same episodes, the DVR keeps recording every episode whether I've watched them or not. "Unwatched Only" would fix that.

Highlighted
New Poster

100% agree. I spend a ton of time cancelling scheduled recordings. This would solve that.
Highlighted
Expert

@Tnjeff615 wrote:
100% agree. I spend a ton of time cancelling scheduled recordings. This would solve that.

did you set your series recording from the grid or a search? first offers a particular channel only, the 2nd may be searching all channels.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you for the response, I do want to search all channels. For example, if I decide I want to watch Modern Family from the start, I don’t care what channel it’s on (multiple channels show replays), but once I’m through the first two season, I don’t want those watched episodes to record again. Thanks again for the hint, if there is a way to do this, I’d love it.
Highlighted
Expert

@Tnjeff615 wrote:
Thank you for the response, I do want to search all channels. For example, if I decide I want to watch Modern Family from the start, I don’t care what channel it’s on (multiple channels show replays), but once I’m through the first two season, I don’t want those watched episodes to record again. Thanks again for the hint, if there is a way to do this, I’d love it.

when a show is in syndication (bought rights to show sequential episodes), remove your series recording then find that channel and show on the grid and set a recording for new and repeats. then you will get only the shows from that channel.

Highlighted
New Poster

Just to that channel will still record repeats! Either we need an "unwatched" setting or a way to tell it not to record the same episode more than once! That's the only thing that makes sense.

Highlighted
New Poster

No, it's not an option.  If I want to record new and repeats because its a new series/ show to me, after watching an episode, that episode will record over and over each time it is playing, showing in my recorded shows as already watched.... so then I need to go in and delete the ones I've already watched.