Community Forum

Re: X1 TV Box--Sporadic "NO SIGNAL" Message

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@LBBrown wrote:

Our issue continues with the X1 box handshake to TV 95% of the time when the TV is first turned on in the morning.  Once in a blue moon, I do not have to reboot the box.  However, a couple of days ago, after the TV had been off for about 3-4 hrs during the middle of the day, I had to reboot the box. Bottom line, the issue continues.  Wondering just when they will resolve this issue. We pay far too much per month to have to deal with this.   And apparently it's been going on for over a  year according to posts in theforum here.

Since I have a service contract (which isn't offered now) I would call 1800comcast and schedule a tech visit.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, but I have done that. A tech visited. I have talked to advanced tech support and customer service twice. My tv is new as of July. I have changed HDMI cables and cable boxes.  This issue appeared after recently upgrading to the X1 box. None of those I have spoken to acknowledged any handshake issue. They kept trying to tell me it must be my tv, my cables or settings I set. Nope.  It was not until I found this forum did I realized I am not alone and that this is a widespread issue associated with the new X1 box.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@LBBrown wrote:

Thanks, but I have done that. A tech visited. I have talked to advanced tech support and customer service twice. My tv is new as of July. I have changed HDMI cables and cable boxes.  This issue appeared after recently upgrading to the X1 box. None of those I have spoken to acknowledged any handshake issue. They kept trying to tell me it must be my tv, my cables or settings I set. Nope.  It was not until I found this forum did I realized I am not alone and that this is a widespread issue associated with the new X1 box.

Sorry I couldn't help; I've had the X1 system since it became avalable in my market.  I have had signal issues but they were resolved by tech visits who replaced my coax cables and wall connections all the way out to the ground block outside my residence ant to the coax cable from the power pole in my back yard.  The latest issue was created by varmits chewing on the coax drop from the pole; once it was replaced, my signal was back to normal.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

The issue seems to have started around the time a tech replaced the wiring to our house. A landscaper had accidentally severed the cable to the house, so a Tech came out and ran a new cable to the house and buried it a few days later. Since that time, we’ve had another tech replace the box and the hdmi cable. Unfortunately, the issue only seems to be getting worse.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I'm not sure how to post on this thread. I also have been experiencing this issue - sporadically, as everyone has reported - for months. I have tried all the suggestions contained in the various answers; none has worked. I usually (and, unfortunately, only temporarily) fix the problem either by unplugging the box's power cord and plugging it back in, or by restarting the box using the Xfinity My Account app. When I contacted CS, they did a remote reboot and that worked for 1 or 2 cycles. I'd hate to get a new box, because I have some older recordings that I'd lose, and also, it appears from several posts that new boxes have the same issue. It seems that Xfinity/Comcast needs to actually invest in a different new box for all customers who have this issue.

Highlighted
Contributor

I would check about your recordings you are worried about losing.  I think your recordings are stored on the xfinity server or cloud.  As I recall when you replace the box your recordings automatically show up in the new box.  Recently,  xfinity did a firmware update 9-17-19.   Also I shut off the power saving feature and have not a no signal since the update and shutting off the power saver.  If you have done all the suggestions,  I would try the new box, check for firmware update and shut off powersaver if enabled.  Keeping my fingers crossed.   

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The last 60 hours of recordings are kept on the cloud so there is a limit when you exchange X1 boxes.  I beleive there is a 500GB local disk drive so any storage needed above and beyond the cloud is kept there and would be lost (i.e. over 60 hours).

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

OK. Thanks! 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Just wanted to let all know that I replaced my HDMI cable (between box and TV) with a new one and have NOT had the issue since.  It's been over a week now.  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks. I’ll try that. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks. I do have the newest firmware update. I think I turned off the power-saving mode, but I tried that months ago only to discover it got turned back on after a previous update. I’ll try a new HDMI cable, as another poster suggested, before getting a new box. (I’m still not sure which of my recordings are local to my DVR and which are in the cloud or on Comcast’s server.)
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

If you look at your saved recordings in the xfinity stream app or online you only see the ones in the cloud.  If others show on the dvr they are only local.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Excellent. Thanks!!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hey all,

Thank you all for posting about the No signal message. It is often referred to as a "handshake" issue.

Here are a few suggestions that have worked for some in the forums:

1. Disable eco saver mode on the cable box and TV

2. Replace HDMI cable

3. Bypass HDMI arc if you're using one

4. confirm with us that you're using the suggested firmware (you can send us a private message by clicking the comcast_support handle and then clicking send private message)

5. Swap out your box (we can help with that as well)

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I wanted to share an update on my experience.  We have done nothing new in the last several weeks, but we have not had to unplug and reboot our cable box for over a week.  I wonder if there was a software update that fixed the issue.  I checked a few minutes ago  - we have release version 103.1.2, release timestamp dated 9/17/2019 at 1:23 pm, XRE Protocol version 2.8.0. Whatever the reason,  we are happy!  We just hope it continues. Fingers crossed.

(For the record: We first experienced this problem after I swapped our old DVR box due to malfunctions (wallpaper proradically popping up and freezing) for the new one earlier this summer.  The very first morning after I installed the new box, I had the handshake issue. We had a tech out, changed HDMI cables and HDMI slots, our tv is brand new (as of July 25) and  yet it continued.  I was not told that this was an ongoing issue.  It was only after I found this forum and the various posts that I realized this was a widespread issue with the new X1 boxes.)

Highlighted
New Poster

I had this same problem with a new televsion we just bought.

In desperation, I read the TV owner's manual.

In the system setup menu for HDMI the default setting was "Standard", but there was an "advanced" setting called "enhanced".   

I tried that and it worked and now it has worked for more than a week..

Hope this helps sombody else.

Paul Miller

Highlighted
New Poster

Are you still problem free?  This issue started for me a couple days ago....

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

<Edited>. You return malfunctioning equipment and you get "refurbished" malfunctioning equipment back. I've returned a malfunctioning box only to have to drive back down to return the refurbised box on two seperate occasions.

We're experiencing this same issue. We turn our TV off for the night and you wake up in the morning to no signal. Only with us, pulling the power cord for a hard restart doesn't fix the issue. We get fed up and walk off only to return later and find we can turn the TV on and it will start up. No freaking idea what is happening, and Comcast is no help. We have a tech coming tomorrow, but I know all he's going to do is change the box and get it set up; we'll wake up tomorrow morning and the TV won't start up again.

<Edited>

Highlighted
New Poster

I just had a tech out for the same issue today. Changed boxes and checked everything all good. So we got to talking and trying a few things. We unplugged the hdmi cable from the side ports and used one on the back of the tv and worked instantly. I have a hisense tv. Try it and see. Only thing we came up with is it’s possible that different hdmi ports are set for different input settings. Time will see if this solved the problem.
Highlighted
New Poster

quick fix ,sinse comcast wouldn't fix their problem. connect up the three cables to the television, red ,white and yellow. and then to the comcast box. set the television for input to av. the tv will turn on, then you can switch to hd , but of course you must go back to av to start all again. until comcast decides that they have a problem. which of course they dont. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Similar issue here. My box suddenly stopped working with my Sony STR-DN860 receiver. Displaying black screen only. Welcome message comes up on reboot, then nothing. Attempted rebooting several times, multiple calls to Comcast tech support, 2 tech visits. 2nd tech finally mentioned that this is a know issue with 4K boxes and some receivers. Comcast has no known fix so far. Switching the box HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV (Sony Bravia XBR-65X800B) solved the issue. So cable box now outputs to receiver via TV’s HDMI ARC port rather than directly. Not an ideal solution but seems to work for the moment. Appears that Comcast’s last firmware update broke things, as the box has worked fine with a direct receiver connection since it was installed a year or so ago.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Having not been able to solve the ongoing problem with the new 4k boxs (three in total that we had to keep returning to the Comcast store and swapping over the course of four days), we went back to the older DVR box, the one with the clock on front, and we haven't had a problem since.

Comcast really needs to get their act together. With the amount they charge for their services, they should at the very least be reimbersing us for the ongoing techincal glitches being experienced with the equipment.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Personally I think everyone would have been better off if the xg1v4 box had a 'native' video output mode where it would only switch to 4k when the content was 4k.   Then the 99% of the time that it was sending 720p content no one would have that handshake problem.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: No signal and have to unplug power everytime

I am having same issue!!! Extremely frustrating paying so much for nothing but issues. On top of no signal, they can't even get my package right
Highlighted
New Poster

Tried all of the methods!  Grr

Highlighted
New Poster

Is there a resolution to the "no signal" issue?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Different things have worked for different people:  Firmware update for TV, changing low power modes at one end or the other, setting output resolution lower.   Some haven't found a solution.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I do admit to be one of the fortunate ones.  Haven't had a problem in 5 months after making various setting changes mentioned in this thread and turning off CEC (ARC) on my Samsung TV.  I do route everything through my AVR so I also disabled ARC functions on my BluRay player just in case that was a factor.  I have been thinking about turning CEC back on the Samsung just to see what happens.  Since this is primarily a "handshake" issue, the results will be interesting.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hang in there. Ours has been resolved, we assume permanently, for the last several weeks.  We had gone through all the hoops of tech visit, new boxes, new cables, changing our TV settings, rearranging cables, etc and it still happened. It started for us at the end of Sept with a the new X1 box with a new TV (purchased in July).  Our old box never did this, but it had some sort of hardware issue that not fixable and we were told to get an updated box.

All of the sudden a few weeks ago, the box started coming without us having to unplug it first and has it been working properly ever since.  We attributed it to the firmware update being that we had not done anyting differently.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Still happening for me!!!! Ugh so annoying. Its ever since installed new box downstairs; box in bedroom every single time I have to unplug it and wait and wait and wait for it all to connect me to my entertaining experience. By then entertainment is over!!!!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Have you tried unplugging and reconnecting the HDMI cable?  Or possibly switching the TV input to a different HDMI port and back?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

If re-connecting the HDMI cable doesn't fix it, it is probably not the handshake issue that others are seeing.  You may have some problem with your signal levels or need to swap the box.

Highlighted
Contributor

As previously indicated,  occasionally i could just unplug and replug the hdmi cable and it would reconnect, but mostly it required a reboot of box.  However, since the last firmware update and leaving the box power saver off it has not failed to connect in several months.  Always keeping my fingers crossed!  So whether is was always a handshake issue or a xfinity box problem or intermittent combination,   I may never know for sure

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yup I tried that too
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I figured I need new box but don't have hour and half to wait at the store either.
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@wilkatato wrote:
I figured I need new box but don't have hour and half to wait at the store either.

I was successful in getting a replacement by calling 1800comcast - they sent me a new X1 box with a UPS return label for the old one.