fmg915's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, May 16th, 2020 2:00 PM

Closed

RDK-3036 error

I'm having an issue with the @RDk-3036 error on my small X1 box. I changed my service to the X1 boxes and self-installed them last January, and until about a month ago I had no issues. But now unless it's a cool day, I'm getting the RDK-3036 error every day during the day, and the warmer the day, the longer the error lasts. I suspect that as the weather gets warmer the signal loss in the cables increases. And I know my current setup is not ideal--I have a 10dB amplifier where the cable comes into the house, a splitter at the output for the modem and the TV, and a second splitter for the main and small X1 boxes. Problem is there are some long runs involved, at least 30 feet from the first splitter to the second, and a comparable amount from the second splitter to the small X1 box. Before X1, I could use a second amplifier to boost the signal to the old small box, but I learned when I installed the new boxes that with X1, the two boxes need a direct connection between them so I had to remove the amplifier. 

I'm thinking that I need a different amplifier and/or spilitter where the signal comes into the house.  But I can't take time off work to have a tech come out and look at everything--I've seen from these posts that they can be there for hours--I missed 6 weeks of work because I contracted the virus (that's how I found out the error happens during the day).  Is there any equipment Comcast could send me that might solve the problem?  When they reopen, I do have an Xfinity store very close to home, so I could easily return anything that doesn't work.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@fmg915 wrote:

I'm having an issue with the @RDk-3036 error on my small X1 box. I changed my service to the X1 boxes and self-installed them last January, and until about a month ago I had no issues. But now unless it's a cool day, I'm getting the RDK-3036 error every day during the day, and the warmer the day, the longer the error lasts. I suspect that as the weather gets warmer the signal loss in the cables increases. And I know my current setup is not ideal--I have a 10dB amplifier where the cable comes into the house, a splitter at the output for the modem and the TV, and a second splitter for the main and small X1 boxes. Problem is there are some long runs involved, at least 30 feet from the first splitter to the second, and a comparable amount from the second splitter to the small X1 box. Before X1, I could use a second amplifier to boost the signal to the old small box, but I learned when I installed the new boxes that with X1, the two boxes need a direct connection between them so I had to remove the amplifier. 

I'm thinking that I need a different amplifier and/or spilitter where the signal comes into the house.  But I can't take time off work to have a tech come out and look at everything--I've seen from these posts that they can be there for hours--I missed 6 weeks of work because I contracted the virus (that's how I found out the error happens during the day).  Is there any equipment Comcast could send me that might solve the problem?  When they reopen, I do have an Xfinity store very close to home, so I could easily return anything that doesn't work.

using the voice remote command "about" at the small set top box with the problem, reply with the rest of the line after "STB Version". that will tell the type of device you have (coax connected or RF device). 

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

CXD01ANI_4.0p10s1_PROD_sey

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@fmg915 wrote:
Thank you!

that is an XiD companion set top box. it connects via Coax in your home to the Hub  (in this case a DVR). the 03036 error means the XiD cannot connect to the hub. since it does work sometimes that might mean there is a weak/bad connection at the coax connections. be sure each end of all the cables are tight and screwed on correctly (not partially connected due to cross-threading. the coax connector should screw on easily for 3-4 turns then tighten up.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks again rustyben! I did check all the coax connections and all were good. I’m thinking that if that was truly the issue I would have had the error since the time I did the self-install in January. Only thing I noticed is that the coax between the 2nd splitter and the wall connector connecting to the bedroom is that it’s old and skinny cable. So you understand, after the 2nd splitter, there’s a 15 foot cable to the wall connector, another 15 foot or so cable inside the wall to the cable connector upstairs in the bedroom, and finally a 20 foot cable to the small X1 box. Needless to say there’s a ton of signal loss there, and you can understand why I had an amplifier after the 2nd splitter before the switch to the X1 boxes. I suppose I could replace that old 15 foot cable coming out of the 2nd splitter with a new better quality cable, but I’m skeptical that it would really help enough, and I’d have to move half the living room stuff to do it.

Btw today is a cool day here so I haven’t lost the signal or received the error message.

Thank you again for responding!
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here