Community Forum

Picture Freezes, can change channels!

Contributor

Picture Freezes, can change channels!

I thought I'd run this by the forum since Comcast hasn't been able to fix this.

About once every two or three days (watch about 3 hours per day), while I am switching channels or selecting a recorded show, my picture will freeze.  I can still hear the sound.  If I change the channel, the picture remains but I can hear the sound of the new channel.  So far, the only fix, is to refresh.  This works everytime but it means I miss a few minutes which is a problem if I'm recording something. If I switch to Netflix via the X1, the picture stays frozen but I hear the Netlix audio.

Xfinity has come over twice.  Signal is very strong.  They changed all of my coax cables and also gave me a new X1 box.  Nothing worked.  I even changed the HDMI cables.  Any ideas?

PS: Just read other threads describing this same issue.  Can't find any solutions.  I just swapped out the HDMI from my XI to the receiver with a brand new HDMI cable.

While the picture is frozen, the internet, phone, and another TV connected through a DTA continue to work.  Nothing seems to "release" the frozen picture (unplugging coax or HDMI).

I run the X1 using an HDMI cable to my Pioneer Receiver, which is connected to my TV via another HDMI. 

Thanks for any ideas. 

Art

Official Employee

Re: Picture Freezes, can change channels?

Your upstream signal levels are too high and out of spec, on both your DVR and your modem. If you need assistance getting another tech out let us know
Contributor

Andrew, did you run a test on my line or are you just speculating based on my description?  Should I call my local Comcast and tell them what you identified?  I'm reluctant to have yet at third service person come to no avail unless you've spotted something that they didnt.  The last time someone came, he ran some tests from his truck.

Thanks,

Art

Official Employee

I can access the levels of your equipment and look at a map. It’s possible it may be an outside issue, as a neighbor has the same levels as you do.

I’ve escalated it up to a colleague to get a tech, so you don’t have to call in.
Contributor

Thanks.  If I can find out when they tweak things, I'll keep you posted on the results.   Art

Official Employee

Hello artseattle, I can assist you with getting a tech out to take care of this issue for you. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"?

Contributor

I continue to have the problem with my picture freezing. I can change channels and hear the audio of the selected channel or even Netflix.   I've needed to "restart" the system about once per day.

Since my last post, I tried connecting the X1 to my TV directly using the RCA jacks.  I can watch an SD version of the box using this input.  However, if the X1 freezes, the RCA connection goes black and the audio continues to be changeable.  I already swapped out all of my HDMI cables.  Unplugging the HDMI cables and then re-plugging does nothing.  Only "refresh" or "restart" work.  Also, my DTA box, phone, internet are not affected.  Entire community and house are only ten years old so I suspect good cabling.

Are there any other things I can try?  So far:  Had two techs come.  Signal is fine, swapped X1 box, changed Coax cables.

The last time the tech came, he told me there would be no charge.  However, I was charged $70.  When I called Comcast, they told me they would waive the fee as a courtesy but that I would be charged if they sent another person for this same issue.

Expert

@artseattle wrote:

I continue to have the problem with my picture freezing. I can change channels and hear the audio of the selected channel or even Netflix.   I've needed to "restart" the system about once per day.

Since my last post, I tried connecting the X1 to my TV directly using the RCA jacks.  I can watch an SD version of the box using this input.  However, if the X1 freezes, the RCA connection goes black and the audio continues to be changeable.  I already swapped out all of my HDMI cables.  Unplugging the HDMI cables and then re-plugging does nothing.  Only "refresh" or "restart" work.  Also, my DTA box, phone, internet are not affected.  Entire community and house are only ten years old so I suspect good cabling.

Are there any other things I can try?  So far:  Had two techs come.  Signal is fine, swapped X1 box, changed Coax cables.

The last time the tech came, he told me there would be no charge.  However, I was charged $70.  When I called Comcast, they told me they would waive the fee as a courtesy but that I would be charged if they sent another person for this same issue.

locate either end of your HDMI cable (one easiest to get to). next time it freezes, pull that end from the HDMI port (remember which one it was). after 20-30 seconds plug back in. did picture unfreeze?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Contributor

Thanks.  I've tried that several times.   When I unplug the HDMI from either end, and wait 30+ seconds, the picture stays frozen.   If I unplug from AC the X1 box, it reboots and then everything is fine.   

Expert

@artseattle wrote:

Thanks.  I've tried that several times.   When I unplug the HDMI from either end, and wait 30+ seconds, the picture stays frozen.   If I unplug from AC the X1 box, it reboots and then everything is fine.   

ok next test, leave everything connected but unplug the TV for 30 seconds or so then plug back in and turn on. results?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Contributor

That's definitely a new one.  I'm assuming unplug, not turn off?!   I'll try it as long as the next test isn't "Stand on one leg and rub my stomach!"

Official Employee

Artseattle, the dvr and your modem’s upstream and downstream levels need to be in a certain range to work properly. Presently your upstream levels of both your dvr and your modem are too high and out of spec. Downstream levels are barely in the
range. Your last tech out was 3 months ago, but there’s no telling what’s happened between then and now. If you want assistance getting another out let us know.
Contributor

the last tech told me that all signals were fine.  As I mentioned before, the Xfinity service representative told me that the next time I needed someone to come to my house, I would be charged $70.  Does that seem right to you?  What should by my next step.   Also, I did try unplugging the TV.  When I replugged picture was still stuck.   I'm seeing many messages complaining about this same problem.  I haven't seen any solutions or patterns yet.   Thanks.

Art

Official Employee

I can only go by what I see. If the problem is outside or equipment related, there’s no charge. If it’s related to in house wiring, there will be a service charge. The levels may have been fine at the time (whenever that was). Ultimately, it’s your choice on how you want to proceed.
Contributor

Re: Picture Freezes, can change channels!

Yesterday when I had my daily "Freeze" I called Comcast. They told me that my downstream and upstream looked great. They downloaded a new "boot" file for my x1. They needed to "restart" my system to get it working. The tech said he as familiar with this problem but didn't have any other suggestions other than to have a tech come out (for the 3rd time). I'm even willing to pay the $70+ if I had confidence that they could do something. I've never read a fix even though I've seen this problem discussed many times! Art
Frequent Visitor

Interesting. I'm having the same problem. Sometimes it's every 3-4 days but it has frozen twice in one day. I do all the things the phone tech tells me to do and she has reset the box, but froze even after she did that. Haven't had anyone come out yet but after reading this thread, doesn't look promising. I wonder what % of X1 box customers have this problem? A neighbor says he doesn't have the problem.
Contributor

Great to have someone to commiserate with! I've noticed that it only seems to happen when I switch to a recorded show. If it does happen it occurs immediately when I press "Start" or "Resume." The frozen screen is right where the recorded show begins to play. One time, I (think) it froze when I began playing a live show which I was also recording at the time. I'm going to keep a log from now on. What I know for sure: The picture has never frozen while I'm watching something live or once it starts playing a recorded show. The picture often freezes when I start to watch a recorded show by pressing "Watch" or "Resume" "Restart" or "refresh" always works to reset (until the next time) Others see a similar pattern?
Frequent Visitor

Recorded shows for me too. But I have to unplug and reboot which takes 5 minutes or so. I can't simply hit refresh or resume as it is locked up.
Contributor

Are you able to access the Restart button by pressing "A" on your X1 remote? That's how I access it. Hopefully, someone will find a fix for this soon!
Expert

@artseattle wrote:
Are you able to access the Restart button by pressing "A" on your X1 remote? That's how I access it. Hopefully, someone will find a fix for this soon!

on the next two events try unplugging only the HDMI cable (be sure to note which jack it is plugged in to) and after 10 seconds or so plug back in. fixed? 2nd even turn off power button on the physical set top box (puts in standby) for 10-30 seconds then press again. fixed?

Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. Wondering if there has been any resolution. The only thing that fixes it is a restart. All other functions of the DVR box work.
Expert

@Matt2131 wrote:
I have the same issue. Wondering if there has been any resolution. The only thing that fixes it is a restart. All other functions of the DVR box work.

did you read and follow the post just above your post?

Frequent Visitor

Yes I've tried them all.
Expert

@Matt2131 wrote:
Yes I've tried them all.

not enough enformation.... from post above

on the next two events try unplugging only the HDMI cable (be sure to note which jack it is plugged in to) and after 10 seconds or so plug back in. fixed? 2nd even turn off power button on the physical set top box (puts in standby) for 10-30 seconds then press again. fixed?

what happened as you tried the two procedures?

Frequent Visitor

I have tried unplugging HDMI cables from either end for 10 seconds and has not worked. I have held the button down for a reset when it turns back on it's still the Frozen picture. All other options of the the DVR box work.
Contributor

I've also tried "Rustyben's" ideas to no avail.  (Still, thanks for ideas)  The freeze doesn't seem to happen as often but I haven't been watching as much.   I also find it interesting that sometimes the "restart" only takes a minute or two and sometimes it takes 5 minutes.

Still waiting for a solution.

Art

Expert

@artseattle wrote:

I've also tried "Rustyben's" ideas to no avail.  (Still, thanks for ideas)  The freeze doesn't seem to happen as often but I haven't been watching as much.   I also find it interesting that sometimes the "restart" only takes a minute or two and sometimes it takes 5 minutes.

Still waiting for a solution.

Art

when 'stuck' does channel up unfreeze the picture after a minute or so?

Contributor

No, nothing seems to "unstuck" the picture except restart or refresh.   Art

Expert

@artseattle wrote:

No, nothing seems to "unstuck" the picture except restart or refresh.   Art

did you respond to @ComcastAmir on his april post to you?

New Poster

Having this same problem. Seems to have started once we got a new Yamaha receiver. The only thing that fixes it is a restart. Which I now have to do almost every time I watch. It has been getting progressively worse. Zero issues with our secondary box, which is connected to a Denon receiver.

Contributor

I definitely feel your pain.  I thought my problem was due to my Pioneer Receiver so I switched the HDMI cable to go from the X1 directly to the TV instead of passing through my receiver.  Same problem!    Art

Contributor

Rustyben, yes  I did correspond privately with Amir from Comcast.  If I remember correctly, he was going to have another service person come out.  I declined since a Comcast phone tech told me that they would charge me if another tech came out (two so far).  I decided to live with the problem and hope that someone would figure out what was going on. 

Expert

@artseattle wrote:

Rustyben, yes  I did correspond privately with Amir from Comcast.  If I remember correctly, he was going to have another service person come out.  I declined since a Comcast phone tech told me that they would charge me if another tech came out (two so far).  I decided to live with the problem and hope that someone would figure out what was going on. 

I have re-escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

Frequent Visitor

It would be amazing to have some sort of resolution.
Official Employee

Hello, everyone - 

I would be happy to assist regarding the X1 freezing issues. I don't see any known issues, so it may be an issue with the box. To look into this further together, please send me a PM with your first and last name. Thanks! 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

Frequent Visitor

I'm still having a problem with my X1 box freezing. Saturday I called Comcast after it froze right in the middle of a football game and customer service told me to take to the local office and they would swap it out. I go by today and they would not swap it. Said a tech has to come out and that would be a charge. No one has ever been out for this problem as I have been living with it, but on my first attempt to get someone out they throw the charge thing at me. So bottom line is this.......Comcast is glad to sign you up under a contract but to replace a defective box I'm going to have to pay a fee for the service. Unbelievable. 

As I told the local office rep, I will be back as soon as my contract is up to return all my equipment. Of course they don't care. Just one less headache to deal with.  

Official Employee

MSDOGS1976 - 

Thank you for reaching out here. I would love the have the opportunity to turn this around, and I don't want to see you leave. To look into this further together, please send me a PM with your first and last name. Thanks! 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

Frequent Visitor

It's happening right now
15378318578974493700075778233008.jpg
Frequent Visitor

Sound working in background when I press right arrow picture looks like this.
15378320891278644892517377712896.jpg
Expert

image frozen (not updating) is classic HDCP handshake failure closing the stream from source to the TV.  The 'break' will need to be determined. is the Set top box connected directly to the TV? to a receiver or sound bar?

Frequent Visitor

Directly to the TV via HDMI
Expert

@Matt2131 wrote:
Directly to the TV via HDMI

makes it easy to diagnose. swap HDMI cables with a DVD player etc from TV to set top box. 

Frequent Visitor

Tried that even different ports on the TV and the issue persists. As I said before the box works completely. I can open apps such as Netflix, and or search on the guide. But the image remains on the TV. Also can hear whatever program is on. I've had a technician to the house replace the wire from the pole to the house. My signal is very strong. It's on the first splitter that is powered from the point of D mark in the house. Also have the box replaced. And the issue persists.
Expert

@Matt2131 wrote:
Tried that even different ports on the TV and the issue persists. As I said before the box works completely. I can open apps such as Netflix, and or search on the guide. But the image remains on the TV. Also can hear whatever program is on. I've had a technician to the house replace the wire from the pole to the house. My signal is very strong. It's on the first splitter that is powered from the point of D mark in the house. Also have the box replaced. And the issue persists.

do you have another x1 set top box to swap in for your current box to see if the problem moves or is fixed by a different set top box?