Community Forum

One out of Four Tv's when turned on in the am has a screen saver showing?

glennaelwell
Frequent Visitor

One out of Four Tv's when turned on in the am has a screen saver showing?

Good Morning,

Since my last upgrade with equipment in the fall on 2019 I have experienced nothing but the same problem with one of my TV's. Every morning when I check the Four TV's that I have. Three are alright and one always has the Comcast screen saver showing. I never encounted this problem with my previous modem/router and splicers in the basement. Now with this new modem/router and Amphenol spliiter I experience this problem no matter how small it is..I'm not paying to have this happen.  I've been with Comcast for 30 plus years and regret this must happen now.

Rustyben
Expert

Re: One out of Four Tv's when turned on in the am has a screen saver showing?

@glennaelwell wrote:

Good Morning,

Since my last upgrade with equipment in the fall on 2019 I have experienced nothing but the same problem with one of my TV's. Every morning when I check the Four TV's that I have. Three are alright and one always has the Comcast screen saver showing. I never encounted this problem with my previous modem/router and splicers in the basement. Now with this new modem/router and Amphenol spliiter I experience this problem no matter how small it is..I'm not paying to have this happen.  I've been with Comcast for 30 plus years and regret this must happen now.

using the voice remote on the TV that goes to screen saver, say 'about'. what is the rest of the line after "STB version..." ?  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
glennaelwell
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for answering my post but I don't understand what you mean to do?

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Your modem or the splitter has nothing to do with the screen saver showing up. Have you compared the settings with that one tv with the others? Is it possible it’s the tv itself that is showing the screen saver?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Rustyben
Expert

an xi5/xi6 that loses connection to the home hub (usually a DVR) can have the screen saver on since a menu/notice is on the screen when disconnected.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Picaboo54
New Poster

Hello,

Thank you for your input. I checked the DVR and it's a XG1-A model I assumed. The TV that the problem is happening to is with a STB X1DP and I have another with that model number that is working alright...The one in question with the problem when the screen saver shows I can press enter and it connects to live TV if that is of any help. Just seems very odd that I don't have the problem with the other TV'S.. Thanking you in advance for any input you might have.

Rustyben
Expert

@Picaboo54 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your input. I checked the DVR and it's a XG1-A model I assumed. The TV that the problem is happening to is with a STB X1DP and I have another with that model number that is working alright...The one in question with the problem when the screen saver shows I can press enter and it connects to live TV if that is of any help. Just seems very odd that I don't have the problem with the other TV'S.. Thanking you in advance for any input you might have.

the XiD/Xi3 models (same design) use the coax cable and MoCA to commuicate with the DVR. something is interfering with that communication for the box you are having the problem.  An Xg2 (same price but larger box) has its own tuners and modem to use for on-demand and app use etc and has the bonus feature of having 3 extra tuners to 'loan out' which would free up the 2 tuners currently taken from the 6 of the DVR (givng you the ability to use 6 tuners at one time on the DVR.  Do you know the details of the cabling in the home? (splitters? amps?)

Picaboo54
New Poster

Hello again,

Tfhere are no splitterrs..The MoCa us 5-1002 and a separate coax cable to each port. The main box (dvr) goes to H2 7.5 db port. Modem goes to the H1 4.db which also has the land lines plugged in on the back.  The remaining 3 tv's are secure on port m1,m2 and m4 and they say 12 db..I plan on picking up 2 terminator caps today for the other 2 that are vacant...Once again thank you..

Rustyben
Expert

@Picaboo54 wrote:

Hello again,

Tfhere are no splitterrs..The MoCa us 5-1002 and a separate coax cable to each port. The main box (dvr) goes to H2 7.5 db port. Modem goes to the H1 4.db which also has the land lines plugged in on the back.  The remaining 3 tv's are secure on port m1,m2 and m4 and they say 12 db..I plan on picking up 2 terminator caps today for the other 2 that are vacant...Once again thank you..

it sounds like you are speaking of an amp. the modem/gateway should be connected to the passive unamplified output. the set top boxes should be all at one end of the amp as close as possible not spread out. MoCA depends on 'leakage' of the MoCA signal across the various connected by coax devices. 

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Not an amp but an Amphenol spliiter, as noted in the original post (it’s a newer moca splitter)

Rustyben
Expert

@Picaboo54 wrote:

Hello again,

it sounds like you have a splitter that is not compatible with the MoCA bands that comcast uses. all of the splitter ports should have the same DB 'loss' and linkage. it sounds like you have a one piece dual MoCA network splitter and the sections don't communicate well.  if you have 3 TV outlets plus a modem/gateway you need 4 equal outlets. see https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Broadband-capable-5-1002MHZ-Antronix/dp/B010EIN26Q/ref=sr_1_9?keywor... 

if you go to a local store be sure it is not 'gold' colored metal.

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Those splitters are legitimate Comcast approved moca splitters.

86BA65EC-4C9D-4439-94CA-E03229E4D9A4.jpeg
CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

@Picaboo54
Swap locations of the 2 XiDs (that will eliminate splitter), or if it bothers you that much, swap it out for an XG2

Rustyben
Expert

the 4 on the right are for data and different bands than comcast would use. they are not TV frequency bridged. 

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

I don’t what else to tell you, they’ve been in use in the field for almost 2 years.

glennaelwell
Frequent Visitor

Good Morning and thank you for your input..It was Comcast that put in the new splitter.

glennaelwell
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I have a modem/router, connected to a port. Advr/tv connected to another port and 3 more tv's

glennaelwell
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

What are the xid's ? are you referring to the tv's on the m ports?

glennaelwell
Frequent Visitor

Hi

I looked at the splitter on Amazon from the link you sent me and notice they state mhz 5- 1002 but the picture shows 5-1000. Doesn't that make a difference?

Rustyben
Expert

@glennaelwell wrote:

Hi

I looked at the splitter on Amazon from the link you sent me and notice they state mhz 5- 1002 but the picture shows 5-1000. Doesn't that make a difference?

no

the splitter discussed above has 4 non-TV/cable band splittes for MoCA. 1002 is fine for cable as well as higher.

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Your focus should be on equipment first, not the splitter. Try moving your boxes around and see if the action you described follows the box or stays at the cable outlet location. If it follows, it’s the box.

glennaelwell
Frequent Visitor

Good Morning and thanks for your input.

I had those thoughts as well due to the fact that on February 7, 2020, a Comcast tech came to the house and changed my dvr for it was old in the Den (which has no problem with a saver showing when I turn the tv on) . He also changed the one in the bedroom for when the Comcast tech was here before him stated I should have an electrcian come and check out the outlet for he received a shock from the cable when connecting. He left and didn't want to touch the ground on the outside of the house. The tech here on 2/7 said Comcast has it's own ground connected to the cable line before it comes into the house. On 2/6/20 the day before Comast tech came I had an electrician come to the house and he stated that the cable box was backfeeding cable line. I thought the problem was resolved after the Comcast tech left here on the 7th but wasn't even with a new cable box in the bedroom (has the screen saver showing when turned on)  So I have been doing  reading, etc on the subject over the last 3 weeks about the problem. So my thoughts are perhaps a bad hdmi cable from the box to the cable box or perhaps the tv is leaking electricity. So today I'm going to pick up another hdmi cable to have on hand in case it could be the problem-and the other bedroom has the same type of cable box (same model nbr) with no screen saver when turned on but the one in the family room is a different model number so will try some more configurations..Thanks for your time and effort.

RobertWy
Silver Problem Solver

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-screen-saver

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!