Community Forum

Loud DVR fan

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Loud DVR fan

I recently switched to Xfinity, and am on my second very loud xg4v1-a DVR box in my living room. Customer service said the box should not make noise and sent a tech out to swap it out. The replacement is just as loud if not louder. The noise is a persistent high pitched fan noise that is very evident, even when watching something. And when the TV is off it is very annoying. It continues constantly, only lessening somewhat but not entirely after some time in power save mode when the box is "powered off".

The noise is not acceptable. What are my options? Are there other DVR models without this issue? I might even be willing to do without DVR if there is a quiet non-dvr box although I would prefer not to. Please help.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Loud DVR fan


@Ab78 wrote:
I recently switched to Xfinity, and am on my second very loud xg4v1-a DVR box in my living room. Customer service said the box should not make noise and sent a tech out to swap it out. The replacement is just as loud if not louder. The noise is a persistent high pitched fan noise that is very evident, even when watching something. And when the TV is off it is very annoying. It continues constantly, only lessening somewhat but not entirely after some time in power save mode when the box is "powered off".

The noise is not acceptable. What are my options? Are there other DVR models without this issue? I might even be willing to do without DVR if there is a quiet non-dvr box although I would prefer not to. Please help.

is it a DVR? is there a digital clock on the front display?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Loud DVR fan

Yes it is a DVR, no clock, just a light. The noise continues even when the box "shuts down". Definitely a fan noise.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Loud DVR fan


@Ab78 wrote:
Yes it is a DVR, no clock, just a light. The noise continues even when the box "shuts down". Definitely a fan noise.

voice command "about"-- what is the rest of the line to right of "STB Version.."?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Loud DVR fan

AXO14AN_4.0p9sPROD_sey
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Loud DVR fan


@Ab78 wrote:
AXO14AN_4.0p9sPROD_sey

that is the latest DVR and has an SSD (solid state drive) with no moving parts. None of my 4 same model units make a noise or vibration. I've looked into all 4 with a very bright LED and can not see a fan on any of them. does the set top box feel very hot when you hear the noise? could it be another device? (separate with a bit of mail from what it is sitting on. did the noise change?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Loud DVR fan

Thank you for the time and effort in responding! It is definitely coming from the box. In fact, the only way to get the noise to stop is by unplugging it. It is warm to the touch, but I wouldn't say hot. It is in an open front cabinet on a shelf by itself with about 3 inches of clearance above and more on the sides and behind. Is there a way to send a video or audio file so you can hear it for yourself?
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Loud DVR fan


@Ab78 wrote:
Thank you for the time and effort in responding! It is definitely coming from the box. In fact, the only way to get the noise to stop is by unplugging it. It is warm to the touch, but I wouldn't say hot. It is in an open front cabinet on a shelf by itself with about 3 inches of clearance above and more on the sides and behind. Is there a way to send a video or audio file so you can hear it for yourself?

no it isn't trusting you it is just strange. did you use the new power cord they sent with the set top box? you may just have to swap it out.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Loud DVR fan

Yes, I used the provided power cords on each. That is what the tech said when he brought the replacement for the first, So i made sure I used the one he provided. I find it hard to believe that two consecutive boxes had the same issue, and this isn't a widespread complaint. Maybe a bad batch or something?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Loud DVR fan

I just had mine replaced.  Hooked the new one up just last night.  Mine was making a high pitched squeal and support said I needed a replacement.  My new box makes no noise at all.