Community Forum

Intermittent loss of video while watching live TV, never had this issue with the legacy box....

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Intermittent loss of video while watching live TV, never had this issue with the legacy box....

It doesn't happen very often but it does happen. Any ideas on how to fix this WITHOUT another in home tech visit?

As it is the main reason we switched to this box versus keeping the legacy box (no On Demand due to constant errors) is kind of useless to me now since at least with the old box the writing on the screen wasn't tiny and you could go through menus to find the programming you wanted. Plus this box seems to practically reset when trying to stop an On Demand program before the final credits roll. Then again maybe it doesn't help that we're using the old legacy boxes remote as that's the one that we feel more comfortable using.

All that aside, any solution for fixing the intermittent momentary outages short of a tech visit (or potentially resetting the box and having to try figuring out how to pair it to the TV (an old SDtv still) again?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Intermittent loss of video while watching live TV, never had this issue with the legacy box....

Interesting - I have the same identical issue.  I changed HDMI ports thinking it might be the TV but still have the issue.  Oddly enough it's on when watching current shows, meaning, something from the channel line up.  Never had an issue w/ recorded events?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Intermittent loss of video while watching live TV, never had this issue with the legacy box....

@digger5169 wrote:

Interesting - I have the same identical issue.  I changed HDMI ports thinking it might be the TV but still have the issue.  Oddly enough it's on when watching current shows, meaning, something from the channel line up.  Never had an issue w/ recorded events?

I haven't even tried using the recording feature on it. Only reason we switched to this box was because of the loss of On Demand due to errors on the legacy box, which running a new line didn't fix, as we preferred the old box to this one in every way. 

I'm really getting to the point of switching to just internet and finding my little bit of content I do watch on the cable channels elsewhere, whether from a streaming only provider or otherwise. 

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

The fact that you had OnDemand issues, and also having issues with X1 may mean you have a signal problem, especially on the upstream. On the legacy box, that was needed for OnDemand to work.

For X1, you can check your DOCSIS signal levels:

Hold EXIT for at least 5 seconds, then press down-arrow twice, then the number 2. After a second or two, the diagnostics screen will show. Scroll down to System, hit OK, then scroll down to DOCSIS and wait a few seconds for the screen to update. Check your upstream power level. It should be below 50 if possible.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@andyross wrote:

The fact that you had OnDemand issues, and also having issues with X1 may mean you have a signal problem, especially on the upstream. On the legacy box, that was needed for OnDemand to work.

For X1, you can check your DOCSIS signal levels:

Hold EXIT for at least 5 seconds, then press down-arrow twice, then the number 2. After a second or two, the diagnostics screen will show. Scroll down to System, hit OK, then scroll down to DOCSIS and wait a few seconds for the screen to update. Check your upstream power level. It should be below 50 if possible.

I tried bringing up that menu thing and it did NOT work. I tried it with the X1 box remote. We also have the legacy box remote which works with the X1 box that I could also try.