Community Forum

I only have a cable modem outlet. How do I connect a new X1 box?

Highlighted
New Poster

I only have a cable modem outlet. How do I connect a new X1 box?

Since it's literally impossible to contact customer support - and the friendly not very helpful video never mentions how I'm supposed to install a new X1 box when all I have is the cable modem connection at the wall. Can I use a Splitter? can I get someone to come out if needed?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: I only have a cable modem outlet. How do I connect a new X1 box?

2 way splitter is easiest. You can get one at the Xfinity store if it’s open in your area

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Thank  you for your reply. That drops the power by half. Will that affect modem performance?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

It doesn’t drop the power in half, it drops the power by 3.5 dB (signal loss of a two way splitter. It’s only going to have an affect if your signal was already low, with one 2 way you should be fine

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

adding.. if you buy one be sure not to get a gold or brass colored cheap one. the frequency at the top should be 1002 mhz or higher

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!