Community Forum

HDMI Link option disappeared

New Poster

HDMI Link option disappeared

I saw a feature called HDMI Link under the Comcast Labs section so I thought I would give it a try.  It is supposed to turn off your cable box if you turn off your TV.  I activated the setting then tried it and if worked.  I decided I didn't want to leave it this way because it was on the "wife's TV" and she doesn't like changes.  :-)  When I went to turn it off, the menu item had disappeared!  I spent hours on line, in a chat session (totally worthless), then another 40 minutes working with a tech over the phone.  When we started troubleshooting, the menu item still appeared on my other two TVs but later it disappeared from both of them as well.  Unfortunatley, now I can't disable this feature on the set where I tried it out.  We did a system reset, a box reset, unplugged the HDMI, power, and cable from the small box then pluged in the power and cable and waited another 15 seconds before pluggin in the HDMI cable.  Nothing we tried was able to reset this feature on that box.  The other two boxes still work - that is, they do not power off when the TV is turned off.  Any Suggestions?  I think tomorrow, I will drive to the Comcast store and swap out this box.  Apparently there is no other fix for it.

Expert

Re: HDMI Link option disappeared

@ctcallaway wrote:

I saw a feature called HDMI Link under the Comcast Labs section so I thought I would give it a try.  It is supposed to turn off your cable box if you turn off your TV.  I activated the setting then tried it and if worked.  I decided I didn't want to leave it this way because it was on the "wife's TV" and she doesn't like changes.  :-)  When I went to turn it off, the menu item had disappeared!  I spent hours on line, in a chat session (totally worthless), then another 40 minutes working with a tech over the phone.  When we started troubleshooting, the menu item still appeared on my other two TVs but later it disappeared from both of them as well.  Unfortunatley, now I can't disable this feature on the set where I tried it out.  We did a system reset, a box reset, unplugged the HDMI, power, and cable from the small box then pluged in the power and cable and waited another 15 seconds before pluggin in the HDMI cable.  Nothing we tried was able to reset this feature on that box.  The other two boxes still work - that is, they do not power off when the TV is turned off.  Any Suggestions?  I think tomorrow, I will drive to the Comcast store and swap out this box.  Apparently there is no other fix for it.

did you try moving the box to another TV and then turning off the menu option?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

This happened to me also. The HDMI link feature is gone from the Comcast Labs area.  I had it turned on to power down the box when I turned off the TV.  Did Comcast just get rid of it?

It was working earlier today.

Official Employee

That feature doesn’t turn it off, it just puts the box in power saver mode( you may have to go into power save mode and turn it off there).
Features in Comcast Labs are for testing and come and go and get fine tuned all the time. It’s possible your other boxes haven’t taken that update yet

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

The HDMI Link feature overrides all of the settings in the Power Preferences settings.  I tried setting those to 8 hours and back to Off but in both cases it overrode those settings.  It appears that the box has been "programmed" by the HDMI Link option and now there is no way to reset it.

Frequent Visitor

HDMI CEC

Was this feature recently deleted? Up til a few days ago, I was able to turn off my AV system with the X1 remote. Now the X1 box stays on when I power down. There used to be a option to turn on and off the HDMI CEC in the X1 menu. I can no longer find it. 

Frequent Visitor

I just started a thread about this HDMI CEC feature, then I bumped into this one. Yep, my box no longer turns off and the blue power light remains on. Also the option disappeared in the Comcast Labs Menu. 

These boxes do strange things. Sometimes it appears in my LG OLED Menu and then goes away. My old X1 box did this and when I got the new 4k model I was hoping this issue would go away. No luck 

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
That feature doesn’t turn it off, it just puts the box in power saver mode( you may have to go into power save mode and turn it off there).
Features in Comcast Labs are for testing and come and go and get fine tuned all the time. It’s possible your other boxes haven’t taken that update yet

ComcastAndrew, this move was not a update, it was a downgrade. 

Frequent Visitor

I liked this feature and now it's gone. It powers off that blue light with my remote and I didn't have to deal with that annoying "your set is about to turn off ..." since the the feature on/off/on sequence effectively resets the time counter. And since mine was set to 8hrs ... that limit was never reached. I don't have a DVR.

This is a downgrade. Please bring it back. It saves power too.

New Poster

Re: HDMI CEC

Not just me. At least that's good to know. Odd thing to take away. 

Official Employee

Hi @Skytrooper and @Jojeaux22

The HDMI Link setting in the Comcast Labs section of the box settings has been removed. Since the features provided in the Comcast Labs section are beta features, they may be removed at any time. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Just came across this thread. Setting missing on my box as well. Thought it was the cables until I just checked and realized. Problem is, the setting is half working - it turns the box off automatically but doesn't turn it on. And like someone mentioned previously, it shows up in our LG OLED Input Menu sporadically.

Comcast needs to sort this out. I had it all setup perfectly for my parents to keep it as simple as possible but this is undoing all that.
New Poster

Set top box

What happened to the HDMI link that turned the set top box off and on with the tv?  Also why can't the cable signal be checked any more?  The click on for it is there, but when you try it it says it is unable to do it.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Set top box

@Spockva wrote:

What happened to the HDMI link that turned the set top box off and on with the tv?  Also why can't the cable signal be checked any more?  The click on for it is there, but when you try it it says it is unable to do it.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/HDMI-Link-option-disappeared/m-p/3071596/highlight/true#M147673

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Sort of the same as mine except my box turns on with the tv and waits two hours to turn off with the inactivity delay.  You are correct, Comcast needs to sort this out!

New Poster

Just my opinion, but that officially stinks!!

New Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

From the actual saving power point of view, I see your “precision” about the difference from turn it off to power saver mode unnecessary and a bit annoying, as it does not address the issue. Why removing a pretty convenient feature (already present in many devices today) and not integrating it into standard device functionality? When the device returns from this power saving mode, it even brags about how much electricity it saved. So even if it didn’t turned it off, but save power when tv was turned off, that is better than leaving the thing on for the night until the power saved mode kicked in at the set time. Anyway, it was a backwards move, that’s what that is. 

New Poster

I 100% agree with you sir, and they need to bring it back.

Frequent Visitor

I also wish they would fix the HDMI connectivity issue with my LG OLED TV. All my devices are connected to my Yamaha Receiver and appear on my LG menu, except the Comcast box. Pulling out the power cord mkes it re appear. Then it goes away.

Whats up with this Comcast ?

New Poster

I have no problem with removing the feature but I can't set it back to the original (pre-feature) setting. Is there a way to reset the box?
New Poster

After they removed HDMI link, my box would power down after 10 minutes. Today it will not power down. Tried rebooting same. This is definately a down grade.
New Poster

Instead of being "sorry for the inconvenience" do something great and bring it back!!!

Silver Problem Solver

@Spockva wrote:

Instead of being "sorry for the inconvenience" do something great and bring it back!!!

I have no way to know about this issue, but in the past, Comcast Labs features have been incorporated into the base.  They probably have figured out a way to do an auto setting now based on connected devices.  Have you inspected the Settings for display, etc for enhancements?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Looked everywhere, found nothing.

Silver Problem Solver

Then my guess would be it is an auto setting that doesn't need changing.

New Poster

I'm very disappointed this feature was removed. Now the only way to turn off the blue light when I want to go to sleep after turning off the tv is to get out of bed and push the button on the box. Who was the moron that designed a remote controlled AV device that can't be turned off with the remote?  It seems that all of the useful features of the X1 system are gradually being removed every few months. I might have to go back to directv where you can still program the dvr remotely, record from the start of a program you're currently watching, and turn off the dvr.

Frequent Visitor

HDMI X1 Power off/on remote control / X1 Box is XG1v3

Please put back in Comcast Labs the HDMI power off & on control where my X1 remote shuts off everything @ once on my home theater Sound Bar & TV & X1 box all in one power on & off & now it's gone! & we were so happy they finally put that feature on last year & now the box is back to its old ways to where you cant shut it off except only by hand by pushing the blue light button & No it's not available in Device settings / Power preferences those are totally different options & you can shut it off there but with all those extra steps you might as well get up & do it by hand thanks 

Official Employee

Re: HDMI X1 Power off/on remote control / X1 Box is XG1v3

Hello all,

Thank you for the feedback, we will definitely pass it along the teams. 

Regular Contributor

Re: HDMI X1 Power off/on remote control / X1 Box is XG1v3

Please bring this feature back.  If others are having problems with it they can just turn it off.  That must be the reason Comcast took it away.

It should not even be in Comcast Labs anymore.  It should have been part of the standard features

New Poster

Here is an update. If you set power saver starts after OFF, the box NEVER goes into power save mode. If you set it to 1 hour, EVERY HOUR the annoying prompt comes up that the box will power off in 10 minutes and you have to press OK on the remote. Please bring back a working hdmi link in either the Comcast labs or in the settings menu.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, man trust me its 100% gone! 

Regular Contributor

I was going to post about the HDMI LINK option in Comcast Labs, but I see it has lots of posts recently .....

Regular Contributor

I liked the HDMI LINK off-on option in Comcast Labs .... fwiw ...

Regular Contributor

Just move the previous HDMI LINK off-on option (that was in Comcast Labs) to another area that is not in 'test mode' ...

Silver Problem Solver

Googling around I found mention of the Xi3 and HDMI link.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-comcast-labs

"HDMI Link

The HDMI Link feature in Comcast Labs allows the TV set and X1 TV Box to coordinate power states. When your compatible HDMI-linked TV is turned off, your TV Box will go into Power Saver Mode.

Note: This feature is currently only available on Xi3 devices."

Frequent Visitor

I liked this feature and used it on all my TVs. Typical Comcast move to delete it and not let anybody know. They are without a doubt the worst customer service consumer business in the world. 

New Poster

@Garstga wrote:

I liked this feature and used it on all my TVs. Typical Comcast move to delete it and not let anybody know. They are without a doubt the worst customer service consumer business in the world. 

In response, I have to say that actually Verizon holds that award!

Frequent Visitor

Please officially release this feature. I had my X1 remote switching inputs on my Sound Bar with HDMI control enabled on the 4K Xfinity box. It is become a VERY common setup to use a Sound Bar as the "hub" of all your HDMI enabled devices and I was finally down to the mythical "one remote" solution, and now it's broken.

Why does every other equipment manufacturer on the planet support some sort of CEC/HDMI Control and Comcast is only now getting around to implementing it?

Regular Contributor

since that setting was in, as-far-as-I know, COMCAST labs, I guess they feel they can drop it, whenever, and not notify those who have that setting "ON" .. I guess ..

Regular Contributor

I, also, was using that feature ... it was in COMCAST labs .. I understand that ... I was surprised when it was no longer there ... and, was, dropped ... I guess ...  

Regular Contributor

Comcast LABS ... just get rid of it .. ( or else notify those who use it when changes will occur) .. or, just get rid of it ...

Regular Contributor

I was using that feature also ...  fwiw .. 

Frequent Visitor

I agree that it is a nice feature, consistent with all other state of the art Home Theatre equipment.  I don't understand why it would be removed since the user was free to turn it on or turn it on. Please reestablish this.

Regular Contributor

I WAS using the HDMI-link feature, but it wasn't for switching between Audio inputs w/ Sound bar ... but, it is interesting that it has been "dropped" , for now I guess .. don't know ...  fwiw ..

Regular Visitor

That's very dissapointing, I valued that feature and immediately noticed it when it was removed. Pretty typical Comcast behavior

New Poster

I believe the issue is related to this post...

HDMI Link Issue

GBeatty was having a conflict between his Comcast HDMI Link and Samsung Anynet+ last month (both HDMI CEC implementations). He refused to just turn off HDMI Link to resolve the issue and demanded they submit a tech support ticket to fix the issue. Comcast seems to have responded by turning off the feature. We need to request the mods to get Comcast to reverse that decision to get the HDMI Link available again. Please help get this back...

@ComcastKenF

Frequent Visitor

No problem, any moderators in here?

Frequent Visitor

Are you a Comcast employee or just a forum user? Not sure what ‘mods’ is or best way to get Comcast to turn this feature back on.
Official Employee

Hi everyone. 

Thanks for posting here. I was alerted to this thread by one of your fellow forum users. 

I see several of my colleagues have posted here explaining that Comcast Lab features are beta features and are subject to come and go--this is true. Because the feature was in beta there is a possibility the feature will return in a new software patch. 

I understand the inconvenience and your desires to have this feature back have been reported to the Comcast Lab teams. 

If you are currently seeing connection issues or experiencing errors that may have been caused by the HDMI link option, please let me know by sending me a private message. 

KenF

New Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hi everyone. 

Thanks for posting here. I was alerted to this thread by one of your fellow forum users. 

I see several of my colleagues have posted here explaining that Comcast Lab features are beta features and are subject to come and go--this is true. Because the feature was in beta there is a possibility the feature will return in a new software patch. 

I understand the inconvenience and your desires to have this feature back have been reported to the Comcast Lab teams. 

If you are currently seeing connection issues or experiencing errors that may have been caused by the HDMI link option, please let me know by sending me a private message. 

KenF

I have discovered by testing different implementations of HDMI CEC by various companies, that they all conflict with each other in one way or another as there is no designated standard to make one primary over another. It is by design meant to have one system at a time turn on the tv and change the input. There was nothing wrong with how Comcast did HDMI Link and it worked as expected. If you have turned on CEC on multiple systems, each one will successively do the same when that device is turned on. If that doesn't work the way you want, turn off CEC on that system. Please tell the Comcast Labs, all was working as expected and turn the feature back on.

Thanks for your help.