hometheaternut's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, January 7th, 2020 6:00 PM

Closed

Dolby Atmos with Netflix bundle

I recently changed my Netflix subscriptions to the xfinity bundle. Even though I am paying the extra $3.00 a month I lost Atmos on all my streaming platforms. Before the billing change Atmos would stream off the x 1 boxes, my Sony Bravia tv app and Roku Ultra. Now all I get is Dolby 5.1 on all devices. I called Netflix and xfinity twice. They all insist I don’t have the settings correct. I did not change any settings and triple check them all. I have been in to home theater since 1994. I am pretty confident I didn’t change a setting simultaneously on 4 devices at the same time and missed it.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@hometheaternut wrote:
I recently changed my Netflix subscriptions to the xfinity bundle. Even though I am paying the extra $3.00 a month I lost Atmos on all my streaming platforms. Before the billing change Atmos would stream off the x 1 boxes, my Sony Bravia tv app and Roku Ultra. Now all I get is Dolby 5.1 on all devices. I called Netflix and xfinity twice. They all insist I don’t have the settings correct. I did not change any settings and triple check them all. I have been in to home theater since 1994. I am pretty confident I didn’t change a setting simultaneously on 4 devices at the same time and missed it.

how does your sound bar receive the audio from the set top box?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

It’s not a sound bar. I have 2 AVR receivers. 1 in my basement, 1 in my living room. The both have a HDMI cable going directly in to the receiver and another one out to the tv.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

the boxes in both rooms are set to expert. Worked fine when I was paying Netflix directly. Will now only play in Dolby 5.1 since I included in my Comcast package.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@hometheaternut wrote:
It’s not a sound bar. I have 2 AVR receivers. 1 in my basement, 1 in my living room. The both have a HDMI cable going directly in to the receiver and another one out to the tv.

try setting the x1 box to expert. atmos is just a text file (in ascii) sent in a stream much like closed captions

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

Check your Netflix subscription tier. You should be on the Premium tier if you're going to stream in 4K Ultra HD, HDR, or Dolby Atmos..  You're probably on the Standard tier.

Netflix supports streaming with Dolby Atmos audio on select titles.

What do I need to stream with Dolby Atmos audio?

• A Dolby Atmos-capable audio system.

• A plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD. You can check which plan you’re currently on at netflix.com/ChangePlan

• A Netflix-capable device with Dolby Atmos support

• Streaming quality set to High or Auto. More information about video quality settings can be found in our Playback Settings article.

Source

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

The Comcast bundle only covers up to $12.00. I pay an additional $3.00 to be in top tier. When I check my account it says I have the top tier. It seems like the billing is adjusted for it but it is not allowing me to access it.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

It's a Netflix issue then, since even your Roku is affected and not just the X1 boxes.  Tried logging off all the devices and log back on again.?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Yes I tried that as well. Netflix claims it’s a Comcast issue. Comcast says it’s a Netflix issue. Can anyone confirm they get Atmos when they bundle it with their x1 subscription?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

So I stopped by my local xfinity store to see if they had any answers. They recommend having a tech stop by to look at it. Someone from xfinity called that night to see if they can solve the problem without a tech. After checking with her supervisor they determined a tech shouldn’t stop by that I have to call the speaker company. So in their expert opinion it’s not the content provider, not the steaming player., not either avr receiver that processes it. It’s the passive speaker. SMH

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Netflix only streams atmos from certain devices that can decode locally. As far as i know it has never worked on any Roku. I suggest trying to stream from somebody elses account on each device until you are able to get Atmos. I would then try a known atmos device like the nvidia shield, windows 10 computer, or xbox. If it doesnt work after that it is your reciever.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I appreciate the response in trying to help. But I have 2 systems. 1 in my living room (Denon) and 1 in my basement(Onkyo). Both stopped playing in Atmos when I changed my billing. How can it be the receiver?
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here