Community Forum

DVR records 2 copies of same show at same time

CoachP04
Frequent Visitor

DVR records 2 copies of same show at same time

We have 1 DVR and 2 other TV boxes.  When shows are recording some show up as being recorded twice at the same time, counting double on our quota of 6 shows at a time.  After they are done recording only 1 copy of the shows that showed up double while recording is there.  Since we often record 3-4 shows during prime time, we cannot watch any other live shows at the same time.  We set the recordings on each of the 3 TV boxes and have sometimes had luck syncing the DVRs to clear up the problem (but it does not work all the time).  We have rebooted the boxes also but does not seem to help?  Any suggestions?

Rustyben
Expert

Re: DVR records 2 copies of same show at same time


@CoachP04 wrote:

We have 1 DVR and 2 other TV boxes.  When shows are recording some show up as being recorded twice at the same time, counting double on our quota of 6 shows at a time.  After they are done recording only 1 copy of the shows that showed up double while recording is there.  Since we often record 3-4 shows during prime time, we cannot watch any other live shows at the same time.  We set the recordings on each of the 3 TV boxes and have sometimes had luck syncing the DVRs to clear up the problem (but it does not work all the time).  We have rebooted the boxes also but does not seem to help?  Any suggestions?


you are seeing double on some shows as for some unexplained reason both the local DVR recording and the cloud recording are both 'represented' for some recordings. I only see this on recordings of local channel news programs at night. I have noted that the 2nd one (on the right) is the local DVR while the first one is the cloud DVR version. I prefer to play the local recordings rather than cloud.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
CoachP04
Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR records 2 copies of same show at same time

Thanks but that’s not quite what I’m seeing. I only see the two copies of some shows while they are being recorded (and seldom local shows). They both count against the 6 you can record at once. Once the show is over, only 1 recording is left.
Rustyben
Expert

Re: DVR records 2 copies of same show at same time


@CoachP04 wrote:
Thanks but that’s not quite what I’m seeing. I only see the two copies of some shows while they are being recorded (and seldom local shows). They both count against the 6 you can record at once. Once the show is over, only 1 recording is left.

let me try again. your experience is showing both the cloud recording in progress, 'and' the local DVR recording in progress. you can test this by selecting the first and after the screen clears of 'play' icon, press the enter button.  look on lower left for the cloud icon (fluffy white cloud) followed by "DVR". hit exit and select the 2nd recording in progress, and do same and see 'just DVR'. remember that the local DVR can see recordings that are not on the local but are available in the cloud. only one tuner is being used (locally) and just one tuner is used in the cloud (of 6). Again i've seen this before your report.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
CoachP04
Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR records 2 copies of same show at same time

Thanks again!  I will try that the next time it occurs to verify that is what is happening.  But it must be counting it twice as whe we try to watch a live show it tells us that doing so will delete a recording in progress (that's how we first noticed the duplicate ongoing recordings when we checked to see how many shows were being recorded and saw 6 recordings - but only 3 really with each one duplicated. ). Is there a way to prevent it? 
We also have seen 4 current recordings with 2 of them duplicated to give us 6. We have at times just allowed it to cancel the recording it wants to and later find it recorded it anyway (which makes sense with your explanation). 

Rustyben
Expert

Re: DVR records 2 copies of same show at same time


@CoachP04 wrote:

Thanks again!  I will try that the next time it occurs to verify that is what is happening.  But it must be counting it twice as whe we try to watch a live show it tells us that doing so will delete a recording in progress (that's how we first noticed the duplicate ongoing recordings when we checked to see how many shows were being recorded and saw 6 recordings - but only 3 really with each one duplicated. ). Is there a way to prevent it? 
We also have seen 4 current recordings with 2 of them duplicated to give us 6. We have at times just allowed it to cancel the recording it wants to and later find it recorded it anyway (which makes sense with your explanation). 


does your DVR have a clock? go to the DVR and use its remote with voice command 'about'. what is the rest of the line to right of STB version? do the same for your other 2 boxes. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
CoachP04
Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR records 2 copies of same show at same time

STB Versions:
DVR - AX013AN_4.4p19s2_PROD_sey
Box2 - CXD01ANI_4.4p19s1_PROD_sey
Box3 - AX013AN_4.4p19s2_PROD_sey

Should they all be the same?
Rustyben
Expert

Re: DVR records 2 copies of same show at same time


@CoachP04 wrote:
STB Versions:
DVR - AX013AN_4.4p19s2_PROD_sey
Box2 - CXD01ANI_4.4p19s1_PROD_sey
Box3 - AX013AN_4.4p19s2_PROD_sey

Should they all be the same?

no need to be the same. you have two xg1v3 DVRs (the ax013) and one xiD companion. Unless you need the extra space on the 2nd DVR you could it for an Xg2 companion that has extra tuners to loan out (for your xiD to use). that frees up all 6 tuners on the remaining DVR. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
RetiredInFl
Contributor

Re: DVR records 2 copies of same show at same time

Constantly having the same problem . I have 1 4K dvr in living room and one small box in bedroom.
Rustyben
Expert

Re: DVR records 2 copies of same show at same time


@RetiredInFl wrote:
Constantly having the same problem . I have 1 4K dvr in living room and one small box in bedroom.

if you are speaking of live recordings you are seeing at the time the recordings are in progress then one is your local DVR while other is the cloud copy. after the recordings are complete the system will show you just one version.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!