Community Forum

DVR recordings disappeared

New Poster

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

I only have 1 box @RobertWy . Why would I see any other devices listed here? But overall, am I to understand that the recordings are not retrievable? If that's the case, I think I'll just call back in to support and complain some more until I get some traction there. Tanks

Silver Problem Solver

@michael_smith1 wrote:

I only have 1 box @RobertWy . Why would I see any other devices listed here? But overall, am I to understand that the recordings are not retrievable? If that's the case, I think I'll just call back in to support and complain some more until I get some traction there. Tanks

You are correct.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@michael_smith1 wrote:

what do you see on 'device' option line when viewing recordings?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Add me to the list of people with DVR recordings suddenly vanishing. When I went to bed last night, the DVR capacity was at about 52%; now, it's at 11%. I checked the recently deleted folder, and the only recordings in there are the ones I deleted; none of the vanished recordings are in there. They're just . . . gone.

Some of these vanished recordings are old: from April 2018, for example. Some are recent: within the last four weeks. Some are from this past summer. Of the remaining 11% of recordings, some are older, and some are newer; some are movies; some are shows. This vanshing of recordings appeared to have occurred indiscriminately.

This is the first time I've experienced this problem. It is a significant problem.

It will now cost me money to watch these vanished movies and shows; and this issue has already cost me time. I want my recordings back, in their original quality; and if this cannot be done, I demand just compensation.

New Poster

Every time I get a new X1 box the DVR shows from over 6 months disappear

and yes I have the cloud on my iPad but it doesn't matter.

where do they go?

Expert

@OSUBuckeyes wrote:

Every time I get a new X1 box the DVR shows from over 6 months disappear

and yes I have the cloud on my iPad but it doesn't matter.

where do they go?

The change of the DVR removes local recordings. the cloud has the last 60 hours recorded.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Hi,

A bunch of my DVR recordings disappeared overnight last week.  It was at only 70% full and after the disappeared shows it went down to 15% full.  Some shows were over a year old and some just recorded in the last month or so.  Two phone calls to customer support, one nearly an hour long, didn't resolve the issue.  I was given an Xfinity ticket number when on the phone but that seems to have resulted in nothing.  This is very frustrating.

Has this issue been resolved with people getting their recorded shows back?

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Hi! Unfortunately they can’t restore the recordings. We lost a few things that we can’t watch anywhere else.

Just waiting for my husband to watch a few things so we can get a new box as random recordings are still disappearing.

I feel your pain!
Regular Contributor

If your current recordings are recent enough to be in the cloud - or weren't pushed out by others, you won't lose them when you swap boxes.

Frequent Visitor

No, it has not. After a bunch of back-and-forths on here, two customer service calls (one at least an hour long), 2 visits to Xfinity stores, and a swapped out box we weren't told would destroy any chance of retrieving our lost recordings, we never got anything back. After all that - over the course of months - and some hardcore relentless assertiveness, we did get a bunch of credits on our bill. We talked to a ton of different customer service reps, and it was the first time most of them heard this was a problem. Not one of them admitted they did not know how to retrieve the recordings, which almost certainly seems to be the case.

New Poster

I spotted this thread after making a new one of my own about the same issue running rampant here. Sad to see there does not seem to be a solution yet. Is Comcast Ken still on this so I can send him a personal message to hopefully get some help?

Regular Visitor

I sent him a private message yesterday and got a message from him today asking for additional information and saying he would look into it.  So, yes, you should get a response if you send him a private message.  So far nothing to report.

Expert

all of you, please check your recordings as reported in the xfinity TV remote app. do the recordings show up there?

Regular Contributor

This has been happening to me for years. All my recorded movies, old boxing matches from espn etc... just disappears. I am from Philly and when the Eagles won the Super Bowl I recorded the game and all of the post games stuff and that is all long gone. I think after a certain amount of time they just disappear. What can you do? I don't know anything about this tv remove app. I go under saved and then recordings. If there is another way to find old recordings please let me know. I've probably had more than 50 recordings vanish over the last year or so

New Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

all of you, please check your recordings as reported in the xfinity TV remote app. do the recordings show up there?

I don't use a cellphone, so I can't comment on the Xfinity TV remote app; however, I did check out the X1 Cloud DVR on the Xfinity Stream portal (via my laptop), and I actually have less recordings on there then I do when I use the cable boxes! The recordings which are missing on the portal work fine on my TV; they work on both the main box and the secondary boxes.

Additionally, I was on the phone with Comcast for hours last Monday: I spoke to several people and was put on hold several times for long periods of time; no issues were resolved, and no explanations were given. The issue was clearly beyond what the representatives with whom I was speaking could effectively handle. I was told other customers were having my problem, that they did not know what was causing it, and that someone from Comcast would call me within 48 hours. It is now Wednesday of the following week, and nobody from Comcast has gotten back to me.

Abysmal cable service, abysmal customer service. Comcast ought to be publically addressing this DVR problem, as it is totally unacceptable. I for one will not let this issue rest.

Regular Contributor

The cloud copy stores the last 60 hours recorded and things less than 6 months old.  Your physical DVR 'should' store things forever until you delete them but if you swap the box or anything goes wrong with the hard drive - and things do go wrong with hard drives - you will lose things out of the range of things stored in the cloud.  Just guessing, I suspect the DVR tries to recover from errors and keeps working even if some recordings are lost.  I'd swap the box if you haven't done that already.

Personally I've never been too concerned about the limits on the cloud backup because I know if I get that far behind in watching something I will never catch up, but that probably doesn't apply to everyone.

New Poster

@lesmikesell wrote:

The cloud copy stores the last 60 hours recorded and things less than 6 months old.  Your physical DVR 'should' store things forever until you delete them but if you swap the box or anything goes wrong with the hard drive - and things do go wrong with hard drives - you will lose things out of the range of things stored in the cloud.  Just guessing, I suspect the DVR tries to recover from errors and keeps working even if some recordings are lost.  I'd swap the box if you haven't done that already.

That will explain the discrepancy between the two, then. Good to know.

However, the sudden vanishing of the vast majority of my recordings has yet to be explained, and that is my main, and really only, concern.

Comcast has not yet suggested that I swap the box, and I am sceptical that the problem stems from my individual box. I'm encountering no other issues, and I was told that others had been calling about the same problem. Some of the shows that vanished were recent, some were from earlier this year, and some were quite old; some of the shows that did not vanish were recent, some were from earlier this year, and some were quite old. Whatever happened, it seemed to have followed an indiscriminate procedure, somewhat like a DVR version of the Leftovers: it happened all at once. I've continued to record over the past week, and I've experienced no additional problems. The two channels worst hit were PBS and TCM, but I didn't lose all of my recordings from them (just most). 

One of the representatives I was speaking with could not find any records on their end of a series I had recorded which had vanished; it vanished from even the records she could access!

New Poster

This is happening to us as well. Physical DVR is deleting saved shows. Would like to send a PM to @ComcastKenF  or someone else with comcast to take a look at our account. Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Is there any chance someone is sitting on the remote's 'd' key accidentally? It doesn't have to be pointed at the box to work.  Or maybe the key is stuck.   There are some posts here about remotes sending the down arrow button or something that triggers showing the timeline on the screen all the time until they replace them or replace the batteries.

New Poster

@lesmikesell wrote:

Is there any chance someone is sitting on the remote's 'd' key accidentally? It doesn't have to be pointed at the box to work.  Or maybe the key is stuck.   There are some posts here about remotes sending the down arrow button or something that triggers showing the timeline on the screen all the time until they replace them or replace the batteries.

For me (and I reckon for everyone else here too), definitely NO. As I said, the vanished recordings didn't even show up in the recently deleted folder; when I checked it, only the recordings I purposely deleted were in there. Hypothetically, even if I were to delete dozens of random recordings whilst in a state of sleepwalking, shouldn't I expect to find some traces of them in my recently deleted folder the following day? Especially since recordings I had deleted before the sudden vanishing of recordings were still in there?

And my batteries are fine.

Btw: Two weeks later and I still haven't heard back from Comcast. Not even a 'we are still trying to figure it out' update. Comcast needs to address this problem; there is a significant problem on their end, and the higher ups have apparently made a decision to keep us, the paying customers, in the dark.

New Poster

My recordings are deleted after one month. My recordingbox is about 20% full. During the last month I've had six phone conversations for a total of about 5 hours on the phone, one two hour home visit, and another hour home visit yesterday. He thought it was fixed but today recordings from one month ago were deleted. If it is a known problem why don't all the techs know about it? What can I do?

Silver Problem Solver

@JustAnAnswer wrote:

My recordings are deleted after one month. My recordingbox is about 20% full. During the last month I've had six phone conversations for a total of about 5 hours on the phone, one two hour home visit, and another hour home visit yesterday. He thought it was fixed but today recordings from one month ago were deleted. If it is a known problem why don't all the techs know about it? What can I do?

Have you ever used the "recover" option?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-recover-a-recording

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Yes I have checked the recover a recording option and just checked it now. The recordings that I deleted are there. But the recordings that comcast deleted automatically after one month are not there nor are they in the on line streaming program. Thank you for your suggestion.