Community Forum

Cable signal is delayed

dmoney7612
Regular Visitor

Cable signal is delayed

I'm a sports nut and have noticed when watching games that my signal is delayed. For instance, I'll be on the phone with somone and they'll see something occur a good 5 seconds before me...very annoying. It may have to do with the area/apartment I'm in, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue and if they were able to fix it. Thanks in advance!

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Cable signal is delayed

Your comparing apples and oranges, comparing the 2 setups. Could be the type of cable box, type of connection between cable box and tv, type of tv, is there a soundbar or receiver in the mix. There’s just a lot of variables

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
dmoney7612
Regular Visitor

It's a very simple set up with no receivers or anything else. Cable box is connected in to the wall with the newest equipment versions (as far as I know). Certainly there are variables as I mentioned a couple, but my signal is noticably behind. For sports, the online tracking of scores and plays is ahead of my cable, which I know is not normal. 

andyross
Silver Problem Solver

How is that other person watching? Do they also have Comcast? If it's on a broadcast network, it will typically be seen by an antenna user first. There will always be some delay in Comcast's retransmission as they run channels through multiplexers that compress and combine multiple channels into one QAM frequency sent to the boxes Further, if you watch through a streaming device, there may be an additional few seconds of delay.

dmoney7612
Regular Visitor

Everyone has Xfinity in the city I’m in so I’m guessing it’s just my specific area that is causing the issue
andyross
Silver Problem Solver

Different boxes may have slight differences, too. A true DVR may further delay a second or so due to the internal buffer. I'm not as sure about X1, but when I had a legacy box, I could tell it was mostly pass-through if I simply changed channels. If I did any kind of pause or replay on the "live" channel, then even if I went back to live, it would be a few seconds behind (using another TV with a basic DTA as comparison).