Community Forum

Cable Splitter Question

Regular Contributor

Cable Splitter Question

We currently have three X1 boxes (2 DVRs and 1 satellite), an Xfinity phone modem, and my own internet modem.

We wanted to add a fourth cable box to our service and I'd rather not have a tech come out if I don't need one.

The cable currently comes into our house and then hits a four-way splitter.  Three of the outputs go upstairs and the fourth goes to the phone modem which is pretty much right next to the splitter.

The TV we would be adding would also be in the basement very close to the splitter.  I am wondering if I should replace the four-way splitter with a five-way splitter or, split the cable going to the phone modem with a two-way splitter and use that for the new TV downstairs.

I really don't want to degrade any of the signals going upstairs and swapping out to a five-way splitter may do that.

What would be best?  Swap to a five-way splitter or split the cable going to the phone modem?  Or, should I just try splitting the phone modem cable and see what happens?

splitter2.jpg
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Cable Splitter Question

Find one of these and actually improve your signal to all equipment

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
82B2A48F-C3CD-4527-9686-FD2881060ABD.jpeg
Regular Contributor

Thanks.

We actually used to have one of these that Comcast put in but they took it out a few years ago because they said our signal was too strong.

IMG_1457.jpg
Diamond Problem Solver

Same thing different manufacturer.
If that’s the case add a 2 way splitter with one leg going to the Internet modem, the other leg feeding the 4 way, this would only affect lowering levels by 3.5 dB

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Respectfully,

With X1 service there is really no such as too strong of signal. It can happen but it's rare. Where X1 service is different from any previous service is the guide is cloud based which means outgoing signal levels are just as important as incoming signals.

The devices Andrew is suggesting are designed to balance and improve both the incoming and outgoing signals. I just moved to a new home a couple of weeks ago and of course the installing tech (usually a subcontractor) said the signal levels were fine. They were not. My upstream signal levels were high which means my X1 boxes were fighting to return signals back to Comcast. That makes X1 boxes slow to respond to the remote and can lead to freezing and lock ups.

I have found that with X1 service in a typical home, if you split the signal more than three times you probably need the device Andrew is talking about.

I suggest you reconsider having a tech out and install the device Andrew is suggesting. Unless you do, I am fairly sure your X1 service will be compromised.

@kjakubowsk wrote:

Thanks.

We actually used to have one of these that Comcast put in but they took it out a few years ago because they said our signal was too strong.

New Poster

"No such thing" followed by "it happens"... sounds like it does happen. I've had Xfinity reps tell me I don't know how many times that the signal is too strong.