Community Forum

Blue screen issue

Highlighted
New Poster

Blue screen issue

Just switched over to X1 with a new STB on Monday. After turning the TV off (2016 Samsung Smart TV) for a minute and then turning it back on, I get the blue screen. I can unplug and plug the HDMI cable on the X1 box and the picture comes back. I can also use exit exit exit 720 or 1080 which flicks to a black screen and then the picture comes back. How do I fix this? It's clearly an X1 issue. The X1 box has only been in my house for 3 days...
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Blue screen issue

@Starsfan01 wrote:
Just switched over to X1 with a new STB on Monday. After turning the TV off (2016 Samsung Smart TV) for a minute and then turning it back on, I get the blue screen. I can unplug and plug the HDMI cable on the X1 box and the picture comes back. I can also use exit exit exit 720 or 1080 which flicks to a black screen and then the picture comes back. How do I fix this? It's clearly an X1 issue. The X1 box has only been in my house for 3 days...

i've never seen/heard of a blue screen. swap out the x1 set top box to see if that fixes it?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Sounds like an HDMI handshake issue of some sort, probably when the box or TV sleeps and wakes up.  Have you tried turning the X1 power saver mode off?

Highlighted
New Poster

Yes the power save option is turned off. So if it's a handshake issue, how do I fix that?
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@Starsfan01 wrote:
Yes the power save option is turned off. So if it's a handshake issue, how do I fix that?

If you are using an HDMI cable, make sure you are using the correct port on the TV and the X1 box.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

If you have another HDMI cable, try swapping.   If the TV also has a sleep/low power mode see if you can turn that off too.   Swapping the box might help.

The quick fix is probably to set the x1 device output to 720p or 1080p permanently and use the TV's own apps for 4k Netflix/Amazon/YouTube since that's the only 4k content you are going to get from xfinity anyway.   Some firmware update to the TV or X1 box is likely to fix things eventually - it is probably something weird about the box needing the HDCP handshake as it wakes up and not triggering the TV correctly to interact, or not waiting long enough for the TV to be ready itself.  Obviously the handshake itself works, if disconnecting and reconnecting the cable fixes it.