Community Forum

2 questions

Highlighted
New Poster

2 questions

We recently bought a new 4k TV.  My first question is, is there such a thing as a 4k Cable box?  And my second is, if there is and I get the new box, do all my DVR saved shows go away or can they be transferred to the new box?

I have researched the forums here for answers and can't seem to find what I am looking for in regards to the DVR recordings.

Thank you

Tammy

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2 questions

Yes there is. All recordings would depend on how many. It used to be the last 60 hours, would be accessible but some markets have boosted it to 150 hours. So it depends on where you are and how many recordings you have

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

All of your DVR Recordings will be tranferred to the new box unless you are using the legacy (non X1) service, with the silver remotes with the red OK/Select button.
The 4K box is 4K but you won't get 4k resolution unless the content being watched is in 4k. Most content isnt 4K/HDR/UHD.  As CCAndrew stated, the CloudDVR Service isnt available in all markets. But most of the Xfinity Boxes utilize the cloud service, but also have a 500GB Hard drive. Select content is 4k, and you will know it is 4k because it will have UHD next to it.

Again as stated all recordings should transfer, but I would make a list of your recordings just in case the unthinkable happens.

Stay Safe,
JulianR1

I am not a Comcast Employee, I am just a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Expert

@JulianR1 wrote:

All of your DVR Recordings will be tranferred to the new box unless you are using the legacy (non X1) service, with the silver remotes with the red OK/Select button.
The 4K box is 4K but you won't get 4k resolution unless the content being watched is in 4k. Most content isnt 4K/HDR/UHD.  As CCAndrew stated, the CloudDVR Service isnt available in all markets. But most of the Xfinity Boxes utilize the cloud service, but also have a 500GB Hard drive. Select content is 4k, and you will know it is 4k because it will have UHD next to it.

Again as stated all recordings should transfer, but I would make a list of your recordings just in case the unthinkable happens.

Stay Safe,
JulianR1

I think you mean the cloud copy of recordings that are still available will be listed and available for playback. there is no transfer of recordings between the home DVR and cloud DVR (separate recordings).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Hm. Not what I was told by a technician. He said all recordings are backed up to the cloud and are stored on the DVR HDD as well. This was back in 2017/2018 I was told this, and X1/RDK has changed alot since then, so I coul be wrong. However, You seem to have the more logical explanation when I think about it, and also because you're an expert. 🙂

Stay Safe,
JulianR1

I am not a Comcast Employee, I am just a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

As CCAndrew stated, the CloudDVR Service isnt available in all markets.
That’s not what was said. And depending on how many recordings you have, it very well “could” be all recording not get transferred but be accessible. Cloud copies are accessible on the devices, nothing gets transferred from one box to another

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!