chuckwebb's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, November 13th, 2019 4:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity TV Remote App

I realize this forum is supposed to be for the "Stream App", but I don't see where there is a place for "TV Remote App". Is it still be supported? Where do I go for assistance? I just recently started getting an error and it is no longer functioning correctly. I can send a test message and it shows up on the TV, but when I try to select a channel in the app I get the message "There was a problem requesting information for this program. An unknown error occurred during this request. Please try again." I get this for every channel all the time now and it won't do anything else. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanx!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

What device do you have the TV Remote app on and is it up-to-date?  What model TV Box do you have and have you restarted it?

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Comcast told me this morning that the app is no longer supported and will not work.  This is frustrating as I've used it for two years and just stopped working (no longer shows my device in the app).  Would like to know if there is another third party app that has this functionality- mainly to change channels remotely

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks Joe.  It might be that I changed a setting on my slingplayer/slingbox app accidentally and it stopped displaying video remotely.  I fixed that issue, but the Xfinity app then stopped working.  I will try to troubleshoot when I get home, maybe I need to set it back up on my home network ...?

My main purpose for using this app is to be able to change channels remotely for access on my slingplayer app- streamed to my TV via Fire stick, or HDMI cable also works.  I have full access to my recordings and remote watching on the streaming app, but Comcast doesn't allow it to be played on anything other than a mobile device which is frustrating.  The slingbox, while reducing the video quality a bit (signal has to go to analog through a splitter, then into the slingbox), it works acceptibly well.  Appreciate any further thoughts!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

I have the Xfinity TV Remote app version 3.5.6.013 on my Droid Turbo 2 phone and it is working fine, at least for scrolling thru the channels seeing what is on, which is what I use it for.  Also, I have the app version 3.8.3.257 on my iPad and it also is working fine, seeing what is on, switching channels, etc.  Is it the app version for your specific device that is not supported, did they say?

Update:  On my Droid Turbo 2, when selecting a channel/program, I DO get the error 'There was a problem requesting information for this program' .  I DO NOT get this error on my iPad.  The program selected expands and I get the description and options to Watch on TV or Record.

Could be our TV Box software (or some backend software) has been updated and the app versions that are failing haven't been updated to talk to the new software properly.  Mine does recognize my TV Box fine and shows the channels and programs.  The iPad app appears to talk properly to the TV Box software and is able to control it.

The developer email address for the Android App is Xfinity_TVApp at comcast dot com to submit feedback.  The top critical review for the App on the Play Store describes this issue on 11/6/2019.  That may have been when the issue started.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

The device that I have the app on is two GS9...one is my wife's and one is mine. They are up to date. The tv box is the xfinity X1. The app has been working until just a few days ago. I was afraid that they may be discontinuing support being that there is no forum for it. If that is the case, then they should just announce it and pull it from the Play store rather than just let everyone keep messing around with it. I have not tried to refresh the box yet. Going to try that later this evening just to see what happens. Thanx for the reply.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

I just tested on my Droid Turbo 2 phone.  Going to the settings and selecting my living room tv, sending a test message works fine.  When I go back and try to get info for programs I get the error message on all channels.  What version is the app on your Huawei android phone?  Mine is 3.5.6.013.  Maybe this is an account issue somehow?!?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@chuck166 wrote:

The device that I have the app on is two GS9...one is my wife's and one is mine. They are up to date. The tv box is the xfinity X1. The app has been working until just a few days ago. I was afraid that they may be discontinuing support being that there is no forum for it. If that is the case, then they should just announce it and pull it from the Play store rather than just let everyone keep messing around with it. I have not tried to refresh the box yet. Going to try that later this evening just to see what happens. Thanx for the reply.

just did an android test without an issue (huawei android). did you go to gear (settings) on the phone and select the correct TV and do a test message to the screen?

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I have a pixel 2 and the tv remote app is not working. Same error. Rebooted everything, reinstalled app. I'll reach out to Comcast... Could be the last straw on pulling the plug.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

Yes, pulling the plug on using the mobile app makes sense.  The handheld remote is more reliable. If you’re thinking of pulling the plug on Comcast for this reason, it’s pretty lame.  Things change that affect apps and generally get fixed eventually.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Ironically it just started working after my post. Some folks depend on the app as it's difficult to read the menu on screen from across the room. You'll notice this when you get older. As for pulling the plug on cable TV, far from lame due to costs. There are many alternativs available today. When a provider fails to fulfill a service obligation it's not uncommon to pursue other options. It's all about the customer. I did see a post about discontinuing the app. Developer support costs for a mobile apps are minimal. Xfinity has a multitude of metrics to assess application usage stats, they can easily tell if it should be phased out due to inactivity. It would make more sense if they determined the app was being misused in a way that affects profit. Thanks for your input.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

After reading this, I went and tested mine. It came up with a screen that I had log back in, although it then said I was already logged in. Otherwise, it still works controlling my legacy/iGuide box.

My Connect app for email also had that re-login when I ran it recently. Maybe Comcast updated something in the background requiring some new encryption key to be generated.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here