Community Forum

Stream App - "Unable to Retrieve Recordings"

Highlighted
Contributor

Stream App - "Unable to Retrieve Recordings"

Today on my pc (currently on home network), XfinityStream doesn't list *any* of my DVR recordings (all of which were originally set using the home box --which still works fine).

Within a few seconds after clicking "Recordings," I get the message "Unable to Retrieve Recordings," and indeed no recordings are listed.  In smaller font below that it says, "There was a problem retrieving your recordings. Please try again. Apologies for any inconvenience."  Below that is a "Try Again" button, which  *immediately* produces the same messages.

Been trying every so often for four hours, always with the same result.  Never had a problem like this before in years of using the app (I've had occasional issues for *individual recordings*, not "everything.").  Fyi, live streaming still works.

When I try on my iPhone instead, it simply says I have no recordings, and invites me to record something.  So something is definitely wrong.  Have tried both Chrome and Firefox on the pc, same result.

I've tried syncing and rebooting the home DVR, and that didn't change anything.

Any suggestions?  Specifically, ones that WON'T cause me to lose any recordings currently on my home box (I have a pretty high-capacity one).  This is particularly bad timing, because I will be traveling soon and planned to record a good deal to watch on the app.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Stream App - "Unable to Retrieve Recordings"

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks much for escalating the issue for me.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue. It started yesterday. Happens on laptop and my phone.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I found a workaround. If you go to "For You" instead of "Saved" you will see a list of "Just Recorded". I was able to get to recordings there. This was from a laptop.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem started yesterday on mobile devices.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

i also have the same problem. on x1 box and stream app

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi there. Thank you guys for posting! Sorry to hear about the troubles you're experiencing. I went ahead and sent a database refresh through to each of your accounts. Please log out of the Stream app/website, log back in, reattempt pulling your recordings, and then let me know what the result is. Thank you!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

no change for me, for both the app and website

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No. It didn't work for me. I logged out of my phone and the laptop, rebooted and logged back in. Nothing changed

Highlighted
Contributor

Same here, everything is still as described in my original post.

Fyi, last night I noticed that a new recording stays in Scheduled for about 5 minutes after it has completed, and I can watch it from that section of the app if I start it during that brief window -- obviously NOT a viable workaround (and I don't know if it would have worked away from home, anyway), but I'm mentioning it in case it helps with your diagnosis.

As for emjay3's suggested workaround of watching via the "Just Recorded" section in "For You," I note that I am not currently being offered any "Just Recorded" in "For You," despite having seen that category consistently in the past, and despite having just made numerous recordings on the home box.

Highlighted
New Poster

I am also having this issue and have turned off my phone, restarted it, logged out of the app and I am still not able yo access my recordings.

Per the suggestion of others on here I also tried going under the "For You" to see if I could access them there but I wasn't.

PLEASE fix this issue!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

If it makes any difference I can get the recordings on an ipad. But still not on my phone
Highlighted
New Poster

On the evening of 1-27, we lost the ability to view recordings or control the DVR via phones, tablets and computers. I've reloaded apps, signed off & on, rebooted DVR and modem... all more than once. Hope this isn't a new Xfinity feature 😞

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm having the same issue on the website and all devices using the app.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Same issues. "unable to retrieve recordings" on mobile phone android app. And, for the last several days, I can't stream live TV while outside. It plays for 30 seconds or so, then tries to buffer, then completely stops. The stream app is unusable.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

None of these things help (logging out and back, uninstalling app and reinstalling, system refresh, modem reboot etc).

The problem is on the service back-end. Recordings are not showing in mobile app, or through web browser.

Live channel streaming doesn't work on mobile app, it plays for about 20 seconds then tries to buffer a few times then completely stops.

On desktop/web, it frequently slows down with this message:

"Attempting to Resume... We've run into a problem while streaming..."

"Unable to Retrieve Recordings" in both mobile app and on desktop web. 

Highlighted
New Poster

All same issues here. Called them last night and after 90+ minutes on the phone with multiple reps, ended call, as nothing was being done and they had no clue what the problem is.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I spent about an hour on the phone with customer service and mentioned that I had seen others discuss similar problems. They walked me through trying these things (basically turn it off and on again - in different ways).

The problem is on the service back-end, their engineering team must be aware of these problems. There must be monitors and alarms and logs which they can use to diagnose where the issues are. It might be scaling (too much traffic and their systems can't handle it), or a recent software change on their end. I don't understand why they are not seeing this - possibly this is happening to a very small percentage of users and is not noticeable?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

By the way, the "Recently recorded" does not show up in the "For You" section for me either. Android app on mobile, and also on desktop web browser.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

What I did this morning at home (in anticipation of watching remotely) I played a bit of a few recordings I was going to watch later so they showed up in "Recently Watched"

Highlighted
New Poster

Me too. WHAT the what?? So frustrating.
Highlighted
Contributor

I found a clunky workaround that works for most (but not all) of my recordings.  In the search box, enter the name of the recorded show or movie.  Pick the page for that show, and (hopefully) your recording with be shown and say "Recorded."  (If it's a series and you didn't record the latest episode, you may have to look through a list and pick.  Even if there is an on-demand charge for other episodes, the one you recorded should be free.)  I haven't tried with sports.  I have been using the website, though I would imagine it would work with the apps for other devices, too.

Comcast, please fix this.  The recordings are clearly out there, it's a menu issue.

Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity, fix this. We're not paying you hundreds of dollars a month for this kind of amismal service.

Fix it or I'm changing to DirectTV.

Highlighted
New Poster

Talked with Xfinity support (after wasting an hour in chat with "Meralyn," who had no idea what she was doing and, basically, ended the chat after having run me through an hour's worth of useless technical tasks): this is a widespread national issue. 

Call xfinity and get on the issue ticket (SI040522331). You may, at least, get some credit to your account (that's what was promised to me).

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

My recordings showed up this morning on the laptop and on the phone.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I can see them in my android app now. Hopefully it's fixed for all platforms and for everyone.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Streaming live TV channels still is not working. It plays for 10 seconds, then buffers, repeats that twice, then just stops.
Highlighted
Contributor

While I'm glad to see that it's started working again for some people, the issue is NOT solved for me.  The website is still showing "Unable to Retrieve Recordings," and the iPhone app says no recordings found.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

There is an app update (on Android, maybe ios too I don't know) today. Maybe try that update and check. They are making fixes, maybe those need to propagate to all users. Hope they get it right.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Happening again. Unable to retrieve recordings.
Highlighted
New Poster

I also have been having this problem for about a week. Some of the workarounds did work but gradually one by one stopped working, e.g. 'Recent Recordings' don't appear under For You anymore - selecting a show under "Scheduled" works only as long as you stay connected to it - if you get kicked out for some reason you've lost it. Obviously this is a software issue which needs a fix in an update, but the question is how long do I keep paying the premium fee xfinity charges while not receiving services.

Highlighted
New Poster

I just now have the same "unable to retrieve recordings" issue. It worked for me yesterday.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I logged out and log back in in my Fire tablet. I still get the same message "Unable to Retrieve Recordings" There was a problem retrieving your recordings. Please try Again Apologies..

Highlighted
Expert

@sgtjdc wrote:

I logged out and log back in in my Fire tablet. I still get the same message "Unable to Retrieve Recordings" There was a problem retrieving your recordings. Please try Again Apologies..

have you tried a smart phone, roku, desk/laptop to see if the recordings show up there? are you an X1 customer?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

I am also unable to retrieve any new recordings.

I also noticed “deleted” recordings that I’ve confirmed removed on my TV, showing up in the Recordings list as “deleted from DVR at 7:37pm”

I’ve tried: emptying X1 Cloud DVR deleted recordings (on my TV), removing downloaded programs from iOS app. Tried logging onto xfinity.com/stream on both desktop and m.web and Recordings list is empty.

It almost seems like the Stream App is frozen in time, and is only showing activity from when this backend failure occurred.

What are the recommend next steps?
Highlighted
New Poster

I'm having the same problem where none of my recordings are showing up on the Xfinity Stream app on my iPhone or iPad.  Last recordings appearing on the mobile devises are dated 1/26.  Even then, the recordings on or prior to 1/26 indicate "This program has been downloaded on another devise" or "On Unnamed device".  
There is no update on the iOS version of the Stream app as of 2/3.

Highlighted
New Poster

I thought this was fixed on 1/31, but the problem came back today (2/3). "Unable to Retrieve Recording" on all my streaming devices. Seems like a bug in the cloud service code, but then, I'm retired ee, so I usually blame the software first (-;

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am also seeing it again, on desktop web browser and also android app on phone.

I agree these are service/cloud issues (software engr).

Highlighted
Contributor

I sure wish Comcast would post an acknowledgement that this problem exists for some (all?) customers that should have recordings available on the stream website/app, and that they are working on a fix...

Highlighted
New Poster

I finally called xfinity yesterday, after over a week of not being able to access my recordings. I have a ticket number and I was told to give them 24-48 hours...not sure if thats just to get back to me or to actually fix the problem.

I was told however that they do know about this problem, that it's a server side problem and they're working on a fix. 

We'll see if I hear from them or how long it will take until it's actually fixed!

I would say though that everyone should call and report it. Don't let them go down the rabbit hole of "let's look at your device..." Let them know that you know it's on their side and that you want to know they are fixing it.

I was also told that I would get refunded for services missed. Of course, it will begin yesterday instead of last week, my bad for waiting to call - so call asap.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

As of this morning Feb. 4, 2020 I see that has been fixed. I tried in the the Fire Tablet and in the computer.

Highlighted
Contributor

@sgtjdc wrote:

As of this morning Feb. 4, 2020 I see that has been fixed. I tried in the the Fire Tablet and in the computer.

Same here, on both my pc and the iPhone app.  Hope it's fixed for everyone, or will be soon.

Highlighted
New Poster

Talked to local tech this AM. Comcast rolled-out new web app which works without Flash player. He assumed they also fixed the recording problem across all apps. He is correct!  "Retrieve Recordings" problem solved for me, hopefully for everyone. Flash update created a new audio bug with the Edge browser, so I switched to Chrome... 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Programming is hard. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I had the same problem for a week. Reviews of the iOS app shows people have been complaining since the first week of January. I spent 3 hours on the phone with tech support Sunday, they told me to uninstall and reinstall which made all the recordings disappear on all devices but the TV DVR. They scheduled a visit from a tech for Monday. He knew nothing about smart phones. He called his supervisor who finally understood what I was saying. He did research and called me back to say he was still working on it but that the app is something that Comcast doesn't create and can't fix. He would expedite getting something done. support who wastes their and my time trying to fix something they can't. I told him to tell that to tech I called billing to try to get a reduction in my bill because of lacking mobile access. She said it's not their app, someone else makes it, and it's free. I told her that Xfinity advertises that they provide a mobilility service. I pay for it. I am deaf and can't hear the TV well. I depend on using the app on a device with bluetooth hearing aids to hear it well. I also said that they pay a contractor to make the app and should be responsible for the contractor's actions. The app is a free tool to access their service they promote. I was shocked today when I turned on the app and found that it worked. My recordings are back. This has been a fiasco. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I am having this issue. I have maybe 4 things recorded on my X1 DVR and the Stream app on Android for both my tablet and phone say "You have no completed recordings ...yet." None of the workarounds like going to For You work. This is really bad considering how much we all pay every month for these services.
Highlighted
Expert

@SheilaSw wrote:
I am having this issue. I have maybe 4 things recorded on my X1 DVR and the Stream app on Android for both my tablet and phone say "You have no completed recordings ...yet." None of the workarounds like going to For You work. This is really bad considering how much we all pay every month for these services.

go to xfinity.com and sign in. go to accounts, then users. create a new user. use that usernname and password to sign into the smart device. now do you see the recordings?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No, that didn't work. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Stream before I signed in with the new user ID. I still can't see anything that didn't record before today.

Highlighted
New Poster

I have the same issue in one of my boxes