wednesday1's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, October 29th, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

Linux OS and streaming app

I am able to sign onto our account and the streaming app on every device except my Linux computer. I get as far as the favorite list and when I click on the program I get Error TVAPP-00116. I am using Firefox and I have tried the Vivaldi browser also. What is the problem. Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@jwednesday wrote:

I am able to sign onto our account and the streaming app on every device except my Linux computer. I get as far as the favorite list and when I click on the program I get Error TVAPP-00116. I am using Firefox and I have tried the Vivaldi browser also. What is the problem. Thank you.

*nix is not an authorized OS.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I'm not sure how Comcast (Xfinity) blocks Linux users from accessing live TV streams or recorded content from there DVR's (offered to subscribers).  

Currently this is the only reason I have a Windows operating system on my computer and the only reason I don't load Linux instead on my main computer. I have tried many work a rounds and sofar none have worked, including but not limiting to loading widevine installed on my chrome browser but I am blocked even after changing the network conditions in my browsers spoofing them as being from a windows operating system... The blocked message letting me know that I have to be on a network inside the United States... even when I use a direct connection to my home Comcast router and I live in Washington State. Why would I need to do this anyway you may ask? I watch the NFL and have my computer setup next to the TV in my Living Room so that I can watch RedZone (which I pay extra for) simultaneously while watching my team on the TV. I don’t have picture in picture and would need a second system in the same room to do so anyway. I have seen a post that Comcast wanted to hire Linux programmers I assume to port Xfinity to the Linux platform. But how long is it going to take? This has been a outstanding problem for years and I am sure many subscribers would like. All the pieces are there they just have to implement them.

Lets get it done Comcast!

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

I understand the app not working but the website should be is independent as long as its a major browser like Firefox or chrome. Have you tried chrome yet?

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Frequent Visitor
‎11-22-2020 11:30 AM
Re: Linux OS and streaming app
I understand the app not working but the website should be is independent as long as its a major browser like Firefox or chrome. Have you tried chrome yet? (If you read my message you would see that I have tried Chrome and most others Browsers in all sorts of ways. It is just not alowed by Comcast on Linux of any flavior... YET, but maybe someday!)

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

What's odd is that I can go to nbcsports.com, sign in with my xfinity account and what a stream of some programs.  However if I go to xfinity.com and try to stream I get the dreaded not supported error.  Xfinity owns nbc/nbcsports so why is it possible to stream on linux from there and not from xfinity.  Obviously they don't have a technical reason.

Comcast, it's time to support linux!

Allow it or specify a browser, or create a plugin, or make a flatpak app.  There are may ways to support linux, just do it.

Thanks

A Comcast Customer

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Linux. Just do it.

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

3 years ago

Hello @torvaldslinus, and others who have posted regarding Linux and the Xfinity Stream App and Portal. We appreciate all of your feedback that has been provided thus far. The information provided by @Rustyben back on 10/30/202 is correct. At this time, unfortunately, Linux isn't a supported Operating System. However, the following are: 

For more information, please visit this link. To pass along positive feedback regarding why you feel Linux would be beneficial as a supported device, feel free to share here. If you happen to need assistance in the future, please create a new public post of your own, with details of your experience, and a member of my team will be happy to help! 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@ComcastChe, Dear Sir

I recognize you are the messenger and do not necessarily dictate policy.  However, it would be great if you or your higher ups could pass along the message that we, linux users, are paying customers too.   Some of us have good reasons to utilize linux.  But regardless of our reasons, xfinity is depriving us of a service for which we pay.  And it is xfinity's choice to deem linux  an "acceptable" operating system.  We, linux users, are not second class customers.  We use linux and do not need to justify our choices to you.  We simply as that we get what we pay for.  Specifically, access to streaming just like everyone else that pays the same monthly fee. 

Now, you may argue it is my choice to utilize linux as an operating system.  But that is a moot point.  I am your customer, not the other way around.  Plus, OSX runs in the background a BSD unix flavor operating system.  It's not quite the same, but you made it work.  Is it simply that there are not that many linux users to make it worthwhile for xfinity to treat us as users of other operating systems? 

If you are not willing to provide equal service, then you should charge a different fee for folks who are not able to access all the services covered by the fees.

Please do not think that simply because I have not been vocal for the many years this has been an issue, that I do not feel any less passionate about it.

I had the same issue with Netflix before.  They did not allow streaming through linux.  We complained...  and now they do.

If they can do it, so can you.  Unless, you are willing to state you are less capable than netflix. 

I really hope you won't just ignore this message.  I really want to use the streaming capability. 

Official Employee

• 

923 Messages

Hello, @user_9bf5ad and any others seeking assistance or to provide feedback. We appreciate your feedback on this situation. Due to this thread being almost a year old, comments will be closed. If you need further assistance other than the accepted solution, please create a new thread detailing the issue. We will assist there. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Those are web browsers not operating systems. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

comcast in it's stubborn and infinite stupidity continues to persist in NOT Supporting the millions of users who use Linux.  this is despite the fact that all of the other streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Vimeo, basically every other service that I have tried they all work with Linux except for comcast.

and by the way Android is pure Linux underneath the fancy interface, it just happens to be an arm chip instead of an intel chip so you can't run the app on your PC.  (well there is an arm emulator but it's too buggy and too slow to play a video)

and to the ignorant customer service rep...  apple runs on BSD and BSD is *nix    so yes comcast does choose to support 2 very specific versions of *nix....  actually most of those tv appliances like firetv etc are also running some variant of Linux too!   so it is just pure cussedness that comcast continues to refuse to support Linux.  heck I bet even the flexbox is running Linux internally....

so how about it comcast I know that you are big and all, but can you really afford to aggravate millions  (yes Millions) of Linux users????

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

3 years ago

COMCAST will never tell you why they do not support LINUX.  They will never change their stance.  Ever.

COMCAST does not care about LINUX users and they don't want them touching their products.  They have been persistently clear on this point for many years.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

This is insanely stupid. It doesn't even seem to work if I spoof the user-agent string in chrome. Weirdly firefox will get further (loading the channel guide etc.) before failing randomly with messages like `An error occurred while attempting to acquire a license xMoneyTrace`

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here