YCC's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, October 6th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

How to send feedback to Comcast VP regarding Stream for older iPads 14001 error

Here is where we can vent our frustrations regarding the recent change to our belove it Xfinity Stream for our iPad 4 and older.

I'm sure that he doesn't read them, but it's a start.

Please express your opinion

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 years ago

I've been on this "edge" for several years, back and forth.

When Xfinity added the IOS app, then added more storage capacity to the recordings, and made the app download capable, I didn't "cut the cord" on TV. I thought they were trying to make up for my dying DVR... I don't want to have internet for both. That's on me. I was sorta satisfied. I just purchase an adapter to use the ipad on my not-so-smart TV.

With the app inoperable, I'm back on that edge again. 

For those who are discussing this topic, some are saying some of the older devices are working, others are not. I think the dividing line might be 32 bit vs 64 bit IOS device. I have a 4th gen ipad running 10.3.3, but it is a 32 bit device. Same 14001 error to update everyone is getting. My device shows the app is updated, but since it is a 32 bit device, it doesn't matter.  It doesn't work. 

I understand the app designers are thinking toward the future. I do not think that Xfinity is working for Apple sales. This update wasn't an act to discriminate against those with older devices.  On the other hand, I do believe there is a resolution to adapt the app for use with both 32 bit and 64 bit devices without compromising either. Some of us need to continue to use excellent devices that are still functional and safe.

I wish Xfinity would respond to this issue.  

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Why cannot xfinity provide the backward compatibility? Now my IPad will not work for watching TV channels. They should support their customers better than this!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

They have no desire to release any workable app for my "precious" tablets that I adore ....

That being said I will also not get a warning when they won't allow their app on my New Ipad pro either    BTW notice windows computers have not been effected by "the elites" at comcast

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Still trying to figure out what Xfinity Streaming Error Code 14001 means. Did some digging. There is a website Lifewire.com. It posts System Error Codes and what they mean. Error Code 14001 is defined as: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail. [ERROR_SXS_CANT_GEN_ACTCTX (0x36B1)]". I confess I know nothing about this but am doggedly determined to find out why I and others can not get Xfinity Streaming anymore. Thank you jhqbraille for educating me about 32 and 64 bits in a prior post of mine. And, thanks frank80 and dumbname for your support as well. I am learning from everyone in this great Xfinity Community Forum. Does anyone in the Xfinity Community Forum know what the definition of System Error Code 14001 means? Awesome Xfinity App Designers can you tell us? And, why is this particular System Error Code or a possible bug or something else, preventing us from using the Xfinity Streaming App? Awesome Xfinity App Designers I would like to learn from you as well.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

the stream app only begins being available now to iOS 12. Equipment ages off and the hardware won't support the new software. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Quillx20 wrote:

Why cannot xfinity provide the backward compatibility? Now my IPad will not work for watching TV channels. They should support their customers better than this!

the stream TV app requires a minimum of iOS 12 to run on iOS. older equipment will not run the modern apps.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@CitizenX wrote:

Still trying to figure out what Xfinity Streaming Error Code 14001 means. Did some digging. There is a website Lifewire.com. It posts System Error Codes and what they mean. Error Code 14001 is defined as: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail. [ERROR_SXS_CANT_GEN_ACTCTX (0x36B1)]". I confess I know nothing about this but am doggedly determined to find out why I and others can not get Xfinity Streaming anymore. Thank you jhqbraille for educating me about 32 and 64 bits in a prior post of mine. And, thanks frank80 and dumbname for your support as well. I am learning from everyone in this great Xfinity Community Forum. Does anyone in the Xfinity Community Forum know what the definition of System Error Code 14001 means? Awesome Xfinity App Designers can you tell us? And, why is this particular System Error Code or a possible bug or something else, preventing us from using the Xfinity Streaming App? Awesome Xfinity App Designers I would like to learn from you as well.

combined the cross-post and duplicate subject posts to a single thread.  The technology required by the stream app isn't supported by older devices. I had an ipad mini 2 that had to be replaced for same reason. As new iOS version (and the needed hardware) advance, eventually the oldest hardware becomes incapable of running the new apps. PCs are kept up to date for a bit longer with Windows 10 and Apple PCs, and the browsers are update. But even then, I have to build a new PC every 4-5 years as the newest windows doesn't support the older motherboards. 

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 years ago

May I respectfully disagree, please?

While it is okay to say something as old as an iPad 2 or 4 is incapable of modern technology, this particular 32 bit device worked fine until Xfinity updated without warning. It worked fine on Tuesday, Wednesday it was inoperable. Just like that. Even Microsoft warned people for 5-7 years before they axed support for Windows 7. 

Recently, Apple updated several older devices to maintain security. Apple is bananas about not letting insecure apps in the App Store. If it's still there and states that it runs on IOS 10, it should. These devices should be able to function on a low-level streaming portal like the Xfinity Stream.

It's good PR for Comcast to keep customers content. What about the people who have nothing else and pay for this service? They are not keeping up their end of the bargain by pulling the rug out from under us without the courtesy of notice or a reply on these boards. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Xfinity are you listening to your customers? We are asking for answers as to why we can no longer utilize the Xfinity Stream App for older iPad models. This is not a good representation of addressing your customers concerns. Silence?Nothing? Please respond. Are you working on a resolution? Saying nothing is only making us feel we don't matter. Thank you.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I agree...we are paying for a service that we can not use!  Xfinity, you need to fix this bug or give us back our money.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

My iPad is version 9.3.5. I'm trying to stream tv shows on it and is asking to update and needs. 10.0 OS. Is this really true? We no longer can stream on this IPad?

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I agree 100%!! I pay a lot of $ fur this service... been in the edge many times to cut the cord.. I was using my iPad 4 daily to watch Xfinity stream... then all of a sudden error 14001.... my iPad is in perfect condition so I’m not really wanting to buy a new one. Why can’t we just use the old version of the stream app?

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Very familiar.... I will also try and call... I may see if there is an option to chat... sometimes that is easier to get a correct response....

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Xtraupset wrote:

I agree...we are paying for a service that we can not use!  Xfinity, you need to fix this bug or give us back our money.

time to update the ipad. note that recently Netflix turned off access to their smart TV app on older TVs. This is just part of technology, devices age out and become obsolete. it isn't a bug. Our streaming benefits are free provided at no charge since we have a current Cable TV subscription.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Ddff12 wrote:

My iPad is version 9.3.5. I'm trying to stream tv shows on it and is asking to update and needs. 10.0 OS. Is this really true? We no longer can stream on this IPad?

for iOS the minimum level is 12.0. time to update to a new tablet. (i had an ipad mini 2). now using the larger iPad 10.2 wifi only.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here