Community Forum

Apple TV with Xfinity Stream app

Highlighted
New Poster

Apple TV with Xfinity Stream app

I installed Apple TV and linked it to my Visio TV.  I registered my Xfinity account in Apple TV but I cannot see any live channels,  Example:  I can watch NBC news on Apple TV but it’s a day old version.   I can watch live NBC on the iPad but not on Apple TV.

What do I neeed to do to watch live TV on Apple TV?

thank you, 

Ken

New Poster

Re: Apple TV with Xfinity Stream app

I'm seriously thinking about using my legal insurance to contact a consumer protection attorney.  I have kids and they just recently cutt off the Nick Jr app too.  Not only do they not allow the Xfinity Stream app on the Apple TV, but the individual apps that are supposed to be included are also being cutt off by Comcast one by one.  Pretty soon the Applte TV will be completely useless if you have Comcast.

New Poster

Save your money and spend 35 bucks on a Roku device. Xfinity Stream works great
Contributor

Re: “Save your money and spend 35 bucks on a Roku device. Xfinity Stream works great”

I have an Apple TV, pay $155/mo. for Xfinity, $14/mo. for TiVo service and spent >$400 for TiVo hardware. So, now I’m going to spend another $35 for another streaming device? This is sheer madness!

Official Employee

Hi all, 

We do not support the Stream App on Apple TV at this time. We do have a beta app for Roku as well as select Samsung smart TVs. LG and Sony smart TV compatibility to be announced later this year.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

How do I get into the beta for the Stream app on LG TVs?
Official Employee

Hi jkm74. You will need to locate and download the Xfinity Stream beta app within the app store in your LG Smart TV. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity app is not compatible with apple tv. You need to download every channel apps( nbc, cbs, etc..) and watch the live streaming from those apps. I got rid of my cable boxes and bought a roku stick. Now im watching my whole tv package using the xfinity app. I wish it worked on the apple tv as its a much better quality device
New Poster

I love my Xfinity. But HULU is my source for TV since Xfinity can’t get a grip.
Frequent Visitor

I don't see that app anywhere.

Official Employee

Apologies folks. We launched a partnership with LG and Sony Smart TV in the past and haven't officially launched the beta yet. 

We expect to launch the Xfinity Stream app beta on LG and Sony by the end of the year. More details will be available at launch.

Regular Visitor

Why the heck don’t you support Apple TV? There are MANY of us that live in the Apple-verse.
Official Employee

Greetings, chatsmere50! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. I certainly understand the frustration as I have an Apple TV and can't wait to use the Xfinity Stream app on it as well. Right now we are still currently developing the app to be supported on the Apple TV and want to make sure you have the best experience possible. At this time we do not have an ETA on when the Apple TV will be fully supported but hope it was will be soon. Please let us know if you have any further questions. 

Regular Visitor

While I appreciate the need to have an effective interface between xfinity and apple, it appears that Xfinity (with its basic beta on Roku and the lack of support for Apple, suggests that Xfinity has not anticipated the tidal wave of users who wish to stream.
Frequent Visitor

I don’t think apple will make the xfinity app compatible as they are developing their on tv app. My complaints right now is that the app has been in a beta way too long. The recent update only brought design changes ( wallpaper backgrounds, button shapes and colors. What about functionality,? Like more info of what you are watching without leaving the channel. Same when scrolling in mini guide. Dont quit the guide once a channel is selected.. double click on right arrow for more scheduled programs. The guide doesn't update automatically. . No scrolling preview when fast forwarding. Thats the most annoying to me. The arrow down menu has plenty of free space to add shortcuts. Even the option menu has plenty room to grow. My last wish... It’s time for xfinity to have a dedicated 4k broadcasting channel like direct tv, altice and fubo offers..but thats’s another topic.

Frequent Visitor

Let me add one more thing. Not sure what the difference is. But i tried hulu live, fubo tv and sling . they all have a much better interface and the channel loads instantly. No drag or delay whats so ever. Xfinity app takes forever to load channels. Worse than satellite tv.
Regular Visitor

Totally agree. Xfinity has a LOT of work to do to make streaming on Roku or Apple a really seamless experience.
Frequent Visitor

I agree. Even if they have one ready. Apple doesn’t want it. They have their own. And its becoming better with every updates.
New Poster

Super agree, anyone that knows anything about Apple IOS knows this.  Since there is already a stream app for phones and ipad's that is at least %90 of the work done.  This is very stupid.  They are doing this on purpose for some reason.

New Poster

"They are doing this on purpose for some reason."

Absolutely. This is no mere oversight, to be sure. My guess as to the real reason would probably be something to do with a behind-the-scenes exclusivity agreement with Roku, or that Apple won't let them collect/mine all of the data that they are wanting from customers. They can't forgo the iPhones/iPads without looking like they are falling behind the competition, but they can spite Apple's privacy stance with the smaller Apple TV audience.

You know with Comcast it is something like that...

New Poster

You did not mention why you do not support it.  Was this a technology issue or just a business decision.  

Official Employee

Mrmarket, 

Any partnership with Apple-Apple TV has not been announced at this time. 

Ken

Frequent Visitor

That’s not what was asked. Read the question again.
Official Employee

I'll reach out to my connections in engineering for clarity. 

New Poster

Although I am new to the Comcast footprint and I am very pleased with my HSI experience, I had no desire to pay to rent a useless physical cable box, nor do I need the gimmick of a remote. I assumed Comcast, the major player in the cable industry, would have a streaming app for my AppleTV. Nope! And by the look of it, you have no plans to serve those of us with an AppleTV (perhaps because Charter entered into an agreement with them instead of you?). So, instead of getting another cable subscriber in a dog-eat-dog world, I’ll go with Hulu plus or maybe the horrible DirectNow (at least they try) until Apple announces what they will offer in the fall. This also makes it more likely for you to lose HSI subscribers when other options make it to their neighborhood.
Frequent Visitor

I tried hulu live for a week. It’s super fast, no delay loading channels , much better HD quality and i really like their GUI. I will try fubotv next as they do include 4k live broadcasting.
Regular Visitor

Haven’t tried Fubu yet. I use Apple TV with Hulu and Netflix. I also stream CBS live and HBO. Would rather use xfinity streaming, but clearly the aren’t interested in the Appleverse and I don’t like roku’s remote or interface.
New Poster

Why not?

Do you want Apple users to dump your service?

New Poster

I thought you could record shows on the Xfinity Stream app on the Roku device? I see screenshots and help articles online that say you can do it, but I don't see that option on any of the shows. Did you pull the Record option out of the app?

Frequent Visitor

If i m not mistaken i was told by an agent. That you will need to keep a dvr box to do so. Roku doesn’t record anything on the device. But all other streaming services like sling, hulu do have dvr cloud service.
New Poster

Heck! I’d just be happy if they let me stream (AirPlay) their stuff from my iPhone. They won’t even let you do that.
Regular Visitor

I agree!
Official Employee

Hello, daved20 and Eholterhoff. Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums. If you have an Instant TV package you should be getting 20 hours of cloud DVR space to use. As for the recording of a show, you should be able to go to Live TV select a future dated show and then it should present you with the option to record the show or the series. Please let us know if you are still not seeing these options.

Contributor

I second your remarks. I run Roku on all my TVs. I also have ATVs. Wish xfinity ran on Apple, but watch movies via ATV. No xfinity boxes. Watch/record xfinity for $90 per month
Contributor

IMO the Hulu GUI gets old. Switched to Hulu, then YouTube TV and back to xfinity. Hulu and YouTube lack 5.1. Xfinity does.
Regular Visitor

It’s another 20 dollars but Philo has all the networks that xfinity cut off. Stream live and on demand. Never had a problem. All the networks xfinity does not want you to have. You can.
Regular Visitor

But the starz app won’t work. Xfinity blocks that.
Regular Visitor

Their ROKU app is in beta since it has come out. Do expect to see a Apple TV app. The ROKU app is buggy since day one.
Contributor

Roku guide is so slow.................... 🐌.   Why I am looking for ATV version.   The xfinity beta app on Samsung TV is super fast.  But I have 4 TVs and only one Samsung.  ☹️

New Poster

I am surprised to see Apple TV not supported. Don't want to setup a Roku. Don't want to buy a new TV. Xfinity has a decent offer here but device compatibility needs to change for Stream to be competitive.
Expert

@mpac wrote:
I am surprised to see Apple TV not supported. Don't want to setup a Roku. Don't want to buy a new TV. Xfinity has a decent offer here but device compatibility needs to change for Stream to be competitive.

apple doesn't seem interested 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Its not apple . Its xfinity. They don’t even allow you to log and watch in to the starz app. Xfinity cannot be found when selecting your provider. Every body else is except xfinity.
They can’t even get the infos right..
BA0DA66A-BE6B-4061-A26B-F0B9B3139320.jpeg
Expert

@Eholterhoff wrote:
Its not apple . Its xfinity. They don’t even allow you to log and watch in to the starz app. Xfinity cannot be found when selecting your provider. Every body else is except xfinity.
They can’t even get the infos right..

you are showing the Samsung beta stream app? when you select live TV is the guide on the right timezone showing proper channels/shows for the current time?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

When will the App BE ON APPLE TV?????

Expert

@bzell wrote:

When will the App BE ON APPLE TV?????

nothing announced at all - you can use an inexpensive Roku in the meantime.

New Poster

Is Comcast looking into adding the app to Apple TV. People are asking as Apple TV integrates the whole tv viewing experience! Really disappointed so far with Xfinity, seems to be more money than other providers for a inferior product.
New Poster

I just had to switch from Spectrum to Xfinity (my building forced the switch). Spectrum Stream app worked seamlessly with Apple TV, ties into the ‘Watch Next’ and browsing features. I’m now paying $40 a month more for less channels and a poor product. Comcast need to get their act together.
New Poster

Well this is ridiculous!!!
New Poster

No, Xfinity doesn’t seem interested!!
New Poster

This is exactly the same for the Paramount Network app!!!! It’s ridiculous!!