Community Forum

Recently added AcornTV on demand - video is jerky for all programs -

Mitch-R
New Poster

Recently added AcornTV on demand - video is jerky for all programs -

Just added Xfinity AcornTV after using AcornTV.com to stream.   The image is much sharper, but any program I watch has a regular jerk once per second.  When anything is moving, items and people take a jump in position that is jarring on the eyes.  

Most of the Acorn material started as either UK, Australian or NZ programming created with either 25 frames/second or 50 fps.  The Xfinity feed is reformated to 29.97 fps and appears to be dropping frames to achieve the new frame rate, rather than blending all the frames to the new rate.

Xfinity seems to be using most of the original frames, so movement is smooth, then decides to drop a bunch of frames to get back in sync.  If the missing frames show something moving - oh well!

Examples of the Xfinity/Acorn on-demand with this issue would be Agatha Raisin, Doc Martin, Good Karma Hospital and Brokenwood Mysteries.  All have been converted poorly to 29.97fps and have the 1-sec jerk throughout each episode.

The streaming from AcornTV.com for all the programs and episodes listed above is the proper 25fps rate and motion is very smooth when viewed on the same tv.

The only reason I'm trying Xfinity's version is that it is Acorn keeps the bitrate for their streaming quite low to reduce bandwidth and the Xfinity image is sharper - at least the frames that aren't missing.

Can you get anything done on Xfinity's end or suggest a solution?  Otherwise will switch back to streaming and live with the reduced clarity over 60-90 minutes of jerking.

iamjamesh1963
New Poster

Re: Recently added AcornTV on demand - video is jerky for all programs -

Did you have any luck resolving this?

I am having the same issue.

Mitch-R
New Poster

Re: Recently added AcornTV on demand - video is jerky for all programs -

Of course I didn't get any help - come on...this is still Comcast.  It's been 3 months since my post and absolutely no response from anyone at Xfinity.  Went to the biggest Xfinity store in area - nobody on staff knew what I was talking about.  Didn't know Xfinity had AcornTV, no idea other countries had different tv standards that had to be converted, no idea what "frames per second" refered to.

Their only advice was to "upgrade your equipment to the lastest" AND... OF COURSE... "Did you try unpluging your equipment and restarting it?"

Then, they spent 10 mins trying to find AcornTV on the store demo X1 set and not locating "Good Karma".  I finally walked out shaking my head.

There must be intelligent life on planet Xfinity, but your chance of communicating with it is nil.

I canceled my Acorn with Xfinity and went back to Acorn.com.