richardhack's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

Saturday, May 23rd, 2020 6:00 AM

Closed

Can't log in to the Web site from my desktop

I have been trying to log in for the last two hours!

I recorded my Infinity ID and password in my password manager. I don't normally log in unless I need to change my debit card for the payments. So tonight I tried to do that.

The login page will not recognize my user name no matter whether I use my user name, my Xfinity ID - either email address - or my mobile number. Neither will it recognize my password.

Suddenly at some point I was logged in, I still don't know how. So I changed my debit card and logged out again. Then I tried to login again - and I couldn't.

So I went through the password change process and changed the password.

By the way, that process of trying to discover one's Xfinity ID is a nightmare - half the time it says "try again in a minute" due to some unknown and unspecified error...

So finally I go through the process and it tells me my Xfinity ID - which I already knew!

So I go through the password reset process and reset the password again.

Still can't log in! Keeps telling me either the user ID or password is incorrect.

This last time when I changed the password it let me in directly from the password change process - which must be how I got in the last time.

I can't remember. All I can remember is endlessly trying every one of my passwords that I either had recorded in my password manager, or was one of two standard passwords I use for less critical sites.

Now I'm afraid to log out again because I'm certain I won't be able to log in next time!

I never have this problem with any of two or three dozen other sites I log into, either regularly or occasionally.

How hard is it for you people to manage a straightforward user name and password?

Now specifically I want to know exactly what is my Xfinity ID: Is it my email, my user name, or my mobile phone? I have two email addresses listed under my Xfinity ID on my account page: my gmail address and my comcast.net address. Which one is used to login?

And then when is the mobile number linked to the account used for login? Only from a mobile device? Or can I use it from the desktop?

And finally, why in heaven's name isn't my password recognized? Is it an issue with the browser (because I have a similar problem with T-Mobile - login absolutely will not work with Firefox, but only with Chrome.)

I'm not incompetent. I used to do PC tech support for a living. I run a Linux box. I know my way around. So I can't comprehend why this Web site makes it so hard to login to.

Please help!

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Ah good to know about the password manager and that you manually entered your sign-in info. Good choice on going open source.

Sounds like we have the following variables at play:

1. Browsers
    1. Does this issue still persist if you tried an Incognito (private) browser window? If so it'd indicate a caching issue. Clearing the cache might help, other sessions for other sites  and services may be affected (I wrote that for all the other folks viewing 😉
  2. VPN
    1. Does turning off the VPN successfully log you in? Not sure if a VPN would block access, sometimes VPN sevices have their own firewall rules that interfere so it's a good one to rule out. 
  3. Device/Network
    1. Does the same issue persist when you go to www.login.xfinity.com ? 
      1. Trying to rule out any other AV/Firewall on your laptop that could be causing this.
    2. Does going on cellular make a difference?
      1. Trying to rule out anything due to being on the home network.

@richardhack wrote:

Thank you for your response.

However, the password manager I run is Keepassxc, but I wasn't using the password manager to automatically enter the user ID and password. I was *manually* entering those items. I used the password manager only to tell me what they were, because they were fairly simple. The user name was any of the three - but none of them worked in combination with the password I had set previously which was in the password manager.

I tried both Firefox and Chrome because I've had problems before with other sites that did  not work well with Firefox but would with Chrome or vice versa. But that didn't solve the problem.

Is it possible that the issue is because I am coming in over Private Internet Access VPN?  Do I need to disable that? I know there are sites I can't access or sites that do not function properly if I'm logged in to the VPN.

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Hi @richardhack

On behalf of Comcast, I totally believe your competence! As a former IT helpdesk tech, sorry you've had all these issues. I'll help clear some of the confusion up.

Your Xfinity ID is any of the following: your personal email (gmail), verified mobile phone number, or your username (username@comcast.net) - we take all of them because we want to provide our customers with flexible options of signing in that they prefer. It sounds like your password manager is saving all three, but not updating the saved password for some of them, treating them like separate logins on the same page, causing the runaround. To make matters worse it sounded like you were in the "What's my Xfinity ID" instead of "What's my password" recovery, so that's why it was telling you all the info you already knew.

I recommend the following steps:

1. Go into your password manager and clear any and all saved passwords related to Comcast / Xfinity urls. you should be able to search based off of "xfinity" to find them (If it's saving on both the password manager and the one built into google chrome, be sure to check both and purge).
  2. After they are all cleared, go to www.xfinity.com/password and do a password reset using your mobile phone number or your email, and save that as your one Xfinity ID sign-in credentials. It may already sign you in afterwards, so I'd suggest signing out, then signing in to trigger the password manager to prompt for the right credentials to be saved.

If that doesn't work, feel free to message me. 

@richardhack wrote:

I have been trying to log in for the last two hours!

I recorded my Infinity ID and password in my password manager. I don't normally log in unless I need to change my debit card for the payments. So tonight I tried to do that.

The login page will not recognize my user name no matter whether I use my user name, my Xfinity ID - either email address - or my mobile number. Neither will it recognize my password.

Suddenly at some point I was logged in, I still don't know how. So I changed my debit card and logged out again. Then I tried to login again - and I couldn't.

So I went through the password change process and changed the password.

By the way, that process of trying to discover one's Xfinity ID is a nightmare - half the time it says "try again in a minute" due to some unknown and unspecified error...

So finally I go through the process and it tells me my Xfinity ID - which I already knew!

So I go through the password reset process and reset the password again.

Still can't log in! Keeps telling me either the user ID or password is incorrect.

This last time when I changed the password it let me in directly from the password change process - which must be how I got in the last time.

I can't remember. All I can remember is endlessly trying every one of my passwords that I either had recorded in my password manager, or was one of two standard passwords I use for less critical sites.

Now I'm afraid to log out again because I'm certain I won't be able to log in next time!

I never have this problem with any of two or three dozen other sites I log into, either regularly or occasionally.

How hard is it for you people to manage a straightforward user name and password?

Now specifically I want to know exactly what is my Xfinity ID: Is it my email, my user name, or my mobile phone? I have two email addresses listed under my Xfinity ID on my account page: my gmail address and my comcast.net address. Which one is used to login?

And then when is the mobile number linked to the account used for login? Only from a mobile device? Or can I use it from the desktop?

And finally, why in heaven's name isn't my password recognized? Is it an issue with the browser (because I have a similar problem with T-Mobile - login absolutely will not work with Firefox, but only with Chrome.)

I'm not incompetent. I used to do PC tech support for a living. I run a Linux box. I know my way around. So I can't comprehend why this Web site makes it so hard to login to.

Please help!

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for your response.

However, the password manager I run is Keepassxc, but I wasn't using the password manager to automatically enter the user ID and password. I was *manually* entering those items. I used the password manager only to tell me what they were, because they were fairly simple. The user name was any of the three - but none of them worked in combination with the password I had set previously which was in the password manager.

I tried both Firefox and Chrome because I've had problems before with other sites that did  not work well with Firefox but would with Chrome or vice versa. But that didn't solve the problem.

Is it possible that the issue is because I am coming in over Private Internet Access VPN?  Do I need to disable that? I know there are sites I can't access or sites that do not function properly if I'm logged in to the VPN.

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

Just tried going to the www.login.infinity.com... Got this from Firefox:

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.login.xfinity.com.

Tried looking that up on Google, then going from the Google search page to the login page - that worked. However, I'm already logged in, so that doesn't work.

I'm going to have to log out to try without the VPN, so don't be surprised if it's some time before I can get back in. The fact that I'm logged in now was a fluke...

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, I got the inactivity timeout.

However, this was interesting. I dropped out of the VPN and entered my user id as with the password I entered in the password manager. I got the wrong id/password message.

But then, since I have two-factor authentication turned on, it sent a message to my phone. When I entered the code, I was logged on immediately.

That seems weird that I got the wrong ID message, but it still sent the two-factor authentication message to me. That implies that the system *did* accept my user ID and password, but returned an incorrect response before (or during( sending the two-factor message.

Any ideas? I'm happy to have been able to log on much more easily than last time, but I'm concerned that *this* time was a fluke.  It does seem like the VPN was the culprit, but it still doesn't explain why I got the error message this time. I'm going to log off and try it again.

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Hrm, if you have a verified mobile number on file with us, the xfinity.com/password to change your password should be pretty quick.

Let me know how VPN goes, there should be an inactivity timeout if you haven't been in your account, so it's strange it's saying you're still signed in.

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

OK, I tried it again. The first time I got the error message. So I tried it again. This time I got the two-factor authentication message and with that I could log in. I logged off and tried it one more time and it worked again. Maybe I typed the password wrong the first time, who knows.

So it looks like I can more or less reliably log in if 1) I'm off the VPN, and 2) I m careful about typing the password. I'm going to log off again and try doing it with the password manager entering the user ID and password. I don't normally let it just fill in the fields, I just cut and paste them directly from the manager. That way I'm sure the password manager won't mess an automatic fill-in up.

Back in a minute.

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

OK, that worked. I changed to user ID I had in the password manager from my email address at Gmail to the one at comcast.net. The password worked OK. So I logged in with no problem.

So I think I've got it solved for now.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have saved this entire thread on my hard drive so if I have problems in the future, I will use your suggestions to trouble-shoot more efficiently.

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Hey @richardhack 

Very glad to hear that we were able to isolate the issue to get you back to enjoying your services! 

@richardhack wrote:

OK, that worked. I changed to user ID I had in the password manager from my email address at Gmail to the one at comcast.net. The password worked OK. So I logged in with no problem.

So I think I've got it solved for now.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have saved this entire thread on my hard drive so if I have problems in the future, I will use your suggestions to trouble-shoot more efficiently.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here