kevbd's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 12th, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

Static/noise on phone line

I just switched to Xfinilty for phone/tv I already had internet.  I received self install kit. I hooked everything up first starting with cordless base plugged into gateway. This worked fine. I have an alarm as well as a couple of corded phones so need to use house wiring. I went outside into phone box and unplugged wire connecting house to phone service. Everything worked including setting off alarm and monitoring company recieved alarm. I then noticed back ground noise and humming while on phone. I unplugged alarm from that jack and noise is still there. I then used a splitter in gateway plugging cordless phone base into one jack and a wire to a house jack in other. Noise still there. I again unplugged alarm phone wire to eliminate alarm. Noise still there. If I unplug wire going to jack while on phone noise goes away. What could be problem with home wiring? Any thoughts as what to try will be appreciated.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

141 Messages

5 years ago

Try moving the cordless base further away from the modem.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Did you also unplug any of those other phones that are plugged into jacks? You only posted about the alarm. Try one by one until the humming stops
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here