dgermann's profile

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

Sunday, June 14th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

slow outgoing email

Friends--

For the last 2 months or so, outgoing email using comcast has been extremely slow.

About 2/3 of the emails I send, take 30 to 60 seconds to actually send. The other 1/3 go out almost instantly, like before. I remember having a similar problem maybe 5 years ago, and after I posted here, and someone from Comcast interacted with me, the problem was fixed. For years. Till now.

I am using Thunderbird 68.7.0 (64 bit) on 18.04 Ubuntu. Settings: smtp.comcast.net port 587, starttls.

(BTW, I tried searching the forums and found several likely threads for answers (latest was 2019), but I could find no way to actually read the threads. I clicked all sorts of things, and everything seemed to go to a page "What can we help you with?" Got any hints on how to use the search?)

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Hi.  Yes, I'd say my experience has been pretty much the same as yours, but I had no problem using TBird with comcast till a few months ago . . .maybe a little longer than that by now.   I also use Outlook online and my office's gmail.  I backed off of trying to fix this because subsequent to the email trouble, I seem to have developed other intermittent network problems - and I just haven't had time to deal it all!  I know . . . pathetic!    

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@Again wrote:

Okay, so we're back to square one.  I don't know what happened to ComcastCSAEmail, but do know they are only volunteer and are not required to monitor or answer in the forums.  [Harken back to the old days before Jessie when we had only an occasional reply from a Comcast employee.]

For those of you experiencing slow email again, are you getting any error messages? and if so, what are they exactly?  Include any error codes like the 0x08 codes.  What browsers and/or email clients are you using, or are you using just the Xfinity Connect webpage?  Is this ongoing, such as lasting days, or intermittent, such as last a few hours?

=

No error messages ever . I use Chrome browser and Outlook 2016 client. Sometimes I use Comcast webmail  but not usually to send mail and I use Xfinity Connect on my phone and tablet but not on a regular basis . On my desktop with Outlook I use it most of the day everyday.  I don't believe that the process using Xfinity Connect is comparable to desktop use as far as the server goes but I could be wrong.  When the send function using Outlook slows down it sits there for 20-30 seconds and then sends and I get in my inbox almost immediately.  There is nothing specific like time of day or day of the week that this happens. Perfectly random and thats whats frustrating.

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

@Again 

Any thoughts what can be done?

Thanks for your help!

:- Doug.

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

4 years ago

@dgermann wrote:

@Again 

Thanks for your help!

I don't, sorry.  😞  But I will escalate this again and hopefully an OE will stop by and check out what is going on.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@Again wrote:

@dgermann wrote:

@Again 

Thanks for your help!

I don't, sorry.  😞  But I will escalate this again and hopefully an OE will stop by and check out what is going on.

==

Thanks so much for escalating . We really need some kind of contructive rationale from Comcast and 'not' blaming it on the email vendor we use since those of us who have reported this problem use different ones. I have used Outlook for decades to download and manage my Comcast email and never had the problem until this year.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks to everyone who is keeping on this.   It's been going on so long now that I can't even remember when I started!  - Kathleen

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

This morning I had at least two emails take 30 seconds to send.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

SOLVED (for me, at least) Same problem over the same period here.  I'm using Thunderbird and the problem occurs when sending via my comcast acct and my gmail acct.  However, I had both set to use stmp.comcast.net as the outgoing email server.  When I changed the outgoing server to the gmail server, the problem went away.  That certainly tells me it is a comcast problem!

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

@DNAist 

Thank you! That certainly gives us even more evidence that it is a Comcast problem.

Now, how do we get them to apply the fix? Would it make sense to start a whole new thread? Would that get anyone's attention at Comcast? Start a trouble ticket, if there is such a process?

If I do either, would it be appropriate to put a link to the new thread in this one for the rest of you to follow?

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@DNAist wrote:

SOLVED (for me, at least) Same problem over the same period here.  I'm using Thunderbird and the problem occurs when sending via my comcast acct and my gmail acct.  However, I had both set to use stmp.comcast.net as the outgoing email server.  When I changed the outgoing server to the gmail server, the problem went away.  That certainly tells me it is a comcast problem!

Oh Lord...I hope they don't consider you posting SOLVED for you as the issue being solved for everyone.  They have a bad habit of closing issues as solved when they are NOT. Happy you are good to go though.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Amen to that, TerriB!!!

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@dgermann wrote:

@DNAist 

Thank you! That certainly gives us even more evidence that it is a Comcast problem.

Now, how do we get them to apply the fix? Would it make sense to start a whole new thread? Would that get anyone's attention at Comcast? Start a trouble ticket, if there is such a process?

If I do either, would it be appropriate to put a link to the new thread in this one for the rest of you to follow?

==

Start a trouble ticket? I wish! Even when an issue is pushed up to tier 2 support by calling and bugging them until they do and they so open a ticket, I have never been able to get them to 'find it' and  tell me whats going on. They need a better system for sure.

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

4 years ago

@TerriB wrote:

@DNAist wrote:

Oh Lord...I hope they don't consider you posting SOLVED for you as the issue being solved for everyone.  They have a bad habit of closing issues as solved when they are NOT. Happy you are good to go though.

Terri, SOLVED is supposed to be ONLY for the OP, not for each person in a thread, which is why we emphasize starting a new thread if you're having the same or similar problem.

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

@Again 

Thanks for your reply. So I will take that as advice to go ahead and file a new post on this same issue.

Is it safe or dangerous for me to post a link here to the new post? Or I suppose I could simply tag the people active here and that way you will know where it is. What's best?

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@Again wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@DNAist wrote:

Terri, SOLVED is supposed to be ONLY for the OP, not for each person in a thread, which is why we emphasize starting a new thread if you're having the same or similar problem.

@Again......Thanks and yes I am aware of that but the Comcast folks who tend to these problem discussions have a bad habit of marking them Solved when they are not. Sorry but its true.

Do you really mean that each person who has  an identical problem should start a new thread. Oh My Goodness......that would create so many repeat topics when we search and how could we ever follow all of them and respond/discuss?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here