dgermann's profile

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

Sunday, June 14th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

slow outgoing email

Friends--

For the last 2 months or so, outgoing email using comcast has been extremely slow.

About 2/3 of the emails I send, take 30 to 60 seconds to actually send. The other 1/3 go out almost instantly, like before. I remember having a similar problem maybe 5 years ago, and after I posted here, and someone from Comcast interacted with me, the problem was fixed. For years. Till now.

I am using Thunderbird 68.7.0 (64 bit) on 18.04 Ubuntu. Settings: smtp.comcast.net port 587, starttls.

(BTW, I tried searching the forums and found several likely threads for answers (latest was 2019), but I could find no way to actually read the threads. I clicked all sorts of things, and everything seemed to go to a page "What can we help you with?" Got any hints on how to use the search?)

Contributor

• 

271 Messages

4 years ago

This has been going on for a while now and it's not an e-mail client issue, as it happens on my smartphone as well.

The connection to Comcast's SMTP server either times out, or if it successfully connects, it mostly takes anywhere from 15 seconds onward, for the server to accept the login and e-mail.

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

Hi--

Have not heard back from you, but here is an update from my end:

For a few days after I worked with your chat tech support, about 2/3 of my emails went through immediately on being sent. Now it is back to what it was, and might in fact be more like 95% are taking 30 seconds or so to send.

What can you do to help me, please?

Thanks.

:- Doug.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@dgermann wrote:

Hi--

Have not heard back from you, but here is an update from my end:

For a few days after I worked with your chat tech support, about 2/3 of my emails went through immediately on being sent. Now it is back to what it was, and might in fact be more like 95% are taking 30 seconds or so to send.

What can you do to help me, please?

Thanks.

==========

I didn't get any assistance from Comcast but my mail was acting normally and then yesterday it started acting up again. Took a long time to send a very short email ...here we go again

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

Still slow for me.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Well, it seems as though the "best answer" may be to go back to whatever is passing as Verizon!

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

This is **not** an answer to my question, as the original poster.

It refers to changing a setting in Tbird for a timeout, and says I should instead search for references to comcast.net. All those references do not have any numerical settings, so the answer does not even apply.

Help, please.

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

FWIW, I am still having slow outgoing mail. It seems to be about 2/3 of the mail I send, and is not dependent on whether there is an attachment or not.

Although I responded to the employee's email, I have gotten no responses.

Thanks for any ideas anybody has.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Yes!  The translation of "solved" seems to be "problem passed to someone else."

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@Kathleen10 wrote:

Yes!  The translation of "solved" seems to be "problem passed to someone else."

Actually they don't even seem to pass the problem anywhere and I guess the problem is supposed to just disappear when its marked Solved....NOT

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

Comcast has a bad habit of calling issues either SOLVED or BEST ANSWER when neither are true. Its so frustrating.  My outgoing mail started getting slow again last week.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Ah . . . I see.  I stopped reading about this earlier, at the point at which they were putting the blame on Thunderbird and the other programs people had said they were using, with the brush-off that they had no responsibility for 3rd-party programs. 

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

So what are we supposed to do? Does what you are saying mean that Comcast is no longer monitoring this thread and I ought to post a new topic?

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

4 years ago

@dgermann wrote:

So what are we supposed to do? Does what you are saying mean that Comcast is no longer monitoring this thread and I ought to post a new topic?

==

I have been very active on these forums for years and from what I have experienced in the last 6 months we were lucky they posted anything about this at all. I don't know what has happened but monitoring is almost non existent. I would strongly suspect that since they have deemed it solved...its case closed for them. 

I am baffled as Kathleen10 is that they placed the issue on such as Thunderbird and other 3rd party vendors. I do not agree with that at all. I use Microsoft Outlook as my mail client and I can't imagine it not working with Comcast's server. It has worked for decades for me and now it slows down?  I am not  buying that.

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

4 years ago

Okay, so we're back to square one.  I don't know what happened to ComcastCSAEmail, but do know they are only volunteer and are not required to monitor or answer in the forums.  [Harken back to the old days before Jessie when we had only an occasional reply from a Comcast employee.]

For those of you experiencing slow email again, are you getting any error messages? and if so, what are they exactly?  Include any error codes like the 0x08 codes.  What browsers and/or email clients are you using, or are you using just the Xfinity Connect webpage?  Is this ongoing, such as lasting days, or intermittent, such as last a few hours?

Contributor

• 

96 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for jumping in here, @Again 

I am using Thunderbird 68.10.0 (64 bit) under Ubuntu 18.04. I do **not** use the comcast Webpage for email. I have been using this combination for years, and about 4 or 6 months ago started having slow outgoing email.

Symptoms: After composing an email, I hit send and it used to send immediately. Now about 3/4 of the time, it sits connecting to comcast for 30 seconds or more before it actually sends it. The other 1/4 of the time, the email gets sent immediately. I think Kathleen said canceling and re-sending worked for her, and I found that helped in some cases for me as well.

I do not see any error messages displayed while I am watching and waiting. If error messages are logged somewhere, tell me where to look and I will get you the info.

Thanks for looking into this.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here