Community Forum

email lost from trash

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

email lost from trash

So last night I was deleting all emails from a specific sender. Apparently, the xfinity email app has changed in that instead of moving all the emails I had in the Search to Trash, it moved everything from my entire Inbox to Trash. I had thousands of emails from the past 5 years. I went straight to Trash to move them back to Inbox, but there were only emails from the last 4 months. I download emails to Thunderbird but they are missing from that app also. When I open Thunderbird, I get the message "your deleted emails can be purged from the disk". Does that mean I can still retrieve those emails?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: email lost from trash

Try running a date range search for some of the missing emails.  Like 01/01/2019-01/01/2020 in the Trash folder.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the tip! But nothing. Do you think Comcast can or will retrieve them from their server? Is there a phone number to ask?

Highlighted
Expert

If you just deleted them accidentally they should be in the Trash folder, but you can call Comcast security and see if they can find and recover them-------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks! You would think I could just move them from the trash folder back to the inbox folder, but no.  Apparently Comcast has programmed a maximum number that can be there and the rest get automatically deleted. Or they have a glitch in the programming.

Highlighted
Official Employee

The trash folder holds 5,000 messages.  If you delete more than 5,000 the remaining will be deleted, bypassing the trash folder.   

That being said, there is a temporary emergency backup of these messages. You can restore these by following the directions outlined in this help article https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/recover-deleted-email

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.