debrae's profile

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, April 28th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

Mail not downloading from server.

I recently changed my password for mail. However, now my mail isn't downloading on my desktop and when I enter the new password it doesn't recognize it yet my other devices do recognize the new password. I think the problem is that that Comcast lists my preferred email as one thing as the Xfinity Assistant says it's listed as a different email as preferred. Could that be the problem? Do I have to go in and change all passwords again or will that confuse the system?

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@debrae wrote:

Sorry, I guess that was a dumb answer. I use my Mac Mail program to access my Comcast mail. I'm not exactly sure when you ask my web address? Where would that be, please? I l click directly into my mail icon on Mac desktop and it normally downloads my mail. As I mentioned, I think Comcast is confused and thinks my second email is my preferred and that's why it's not downloading at desktop? THanks so much for your help.

Ok, you're using Mac Mail.  The Mac Mail program must have Settings, where you tell it what email account you want to access.  Have you looked at those settings and the email account/password it is set to?  You might have to correct the password if it has changed.

When you say 'preferred' email, are you referring to the Contact Information' of your Xfinity UserID, where if you have two email addressess, one is marked 'preferred' (which you can edit and change)?  This is ONLY for contacting you as it states:

Email Address

As the primary user, your preferred email address is the main contact method for your account. Your personal email can also be used to sign in and to regain access if you forget your password. Manage Alerts & Notifications

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@debrae wrote:

I recently changed my password for mail. However, now my mail isn't downloading on my desktop and when I enter the new password it doesn't recognize it yet my other devices do recognize the new password. I think the problem is that that Comcast lists my preferred email as one thing as the Xfinity Assistant says it's listed as a different email as preferred. Could that be the problem? Do I have to go in and change all passwords again or will that confuse the system?

Are you using the web site for email on your desktop or an app, e.g. Outlook?

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I'm using my Comcast mail.  Oops it won't let me upload the screen shot showing the difference b the preferred emails.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@debrae wrote:

I'm using my Comcast mail.  Oops it won't let me upload the screen shot showing the difference b the preferred emails.

I understand you're using Comcast mail, but HOW are you accessing it?  The Comcast web site via a browser or a desktop app like Outlook?  If via a browser, what is the web address you're using and do you log into your main account first or directly after selecting the mail envelope icon?

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Sorry, I guess that was a dumb answer. I use my Mac Mail program to access my Comcast mail. I'm not exactly sure when you ask my web address? Where would that be, please? I l click directly into my mail icon on Mac desktop and it normally downloads my mail. As I mentioned, I think Comcast is confused and thinks my second email is my preferred and that's why it's not downloading at desktop? THanks so much for your help.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Well shoot, I thought that would do the trick but no. In settings, I changed the password in Internet Accounts that lists Comcast and my name and Mail is clicked. I tested by sending an email but it still didn't download to desktop. Grrrr. Do you think I have to restart the computer for things to take effect? 

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Yeah!!! Something worked after I re-started my computer and now mail is downloading to the desktop. Thanks Jav for all your help.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@debrae wrote:

Yeah!!! Something worked after I re-started my computer and now mail is downloading to the desktop. Thanks Jav for all your help.

Restarting your computer probably caused the Mac Mail app to retry logging in, this time using your updated credentials successfully, and synchronized your email.  You might mark your post about rebooting after fixing your password as CORRECT ANSWER.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here