glocamp's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, September 3rd, 2019 12:00 PM

Closed

How to delete emails older than a certain date

I want to reduce the size of a folder by selecting and deleting all emails older than a certain date. How is this done?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

5 years ago

Depending on how many messages you are talking about, there's a couple of ways to approach this.  If you mean you want to dump a couple of hundred emails or so, you could open the folder, and change the sort order to ascending by date.  Then, check the box to the left of the first one (the oldest one) and holding down the Shift key scroll down until you get to the more recent one you want to get rid of and check the box next to it.  Let go of the Shift key and everything in between the two you checked will be "selected".  Then hit the trash can icon in the toolbar.  OR-----

Open the folder and run a search for a date range like 01/02/2018-05/11/2018.  Then you could do as above to select all the search results and delete them.  

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Never mind. I figured it out. It's a manual process, but it works if the emails are sorted by date, newest at the top of the folder.

1. Select the first email to be deleted, based on your chosen date.

2. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the folder. Yeah, I know, that may take a while.

3. Holding down the Shift key, left-click the last email you want to delete. Now every email between the first and last emails will have their box checked (selected).

4. Click the Trash button.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Latoque, thank you for your help.  Your response confirmed I was on the right track.

Thanks again.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I can't find a way to set a date range?

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Mb209 wrote:

I can't find a way to set a date range?

You want to set a date range where?  To run a search?  If so did you try what I posted upthread back in September?

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I found where to put in a range, thanks.  My emails are out of control and my quota is reached. Somehow I put all my emails into trash folder. Im trying to move anythat are less than two years old back to my inbox.   I'm trying to delete all email older than two years. My son tried to help me set up filter rules for the emails in the trash I want moved back to inbox, and for the future to send any email older than two years into trash so I don't hit my quota ever again. Not sure we set them up right. I've been dealing with the quota for months but it's so slow and tedious to move them manually. Any help would be appreciated. They should just have a setting to say keep email for x months/years. Idk. Thanks 

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

5 years ago

Filters only work on incoming emails.  They would have no effect on anything already in the Inbox or other folders.  I suggest you run date-range searches for maybe 1 or 2 month time blocks.  When you have the search results in front of you use the toolbar Move icon to put them back where you want  them.  Use "All" at the top of the list to "Select all messages".  You may have to do that more than once depending on how many there are in that search.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here