rjg_sftwr_eng's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, March 7th, 2020 9:00 PM

Closed

How can you view the tags that were set into an incoming email by a filter action, i.e., "Flag Mail

How can you view the tags that were set into an incoming email by a filter action, i.e., "Flag Mail With", followed on the right by a text entry  box that is supposed to contain words or phrases describing the e-mail. Is there a syntax to these words and phrases?  How do you tell the e-mail system to display these?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

4 years ago

The only flagging action you can set up in the filters is for different color flags.  To find them use the "Sort" function at the top of the message list, and click on "color" in the list.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

When I said "Flag Mail With", that was a typographical error. I meant "Tag Mail With", which is an allowed option for an Xfinity email filter action. So, the question  remains: How can you view the tags that were set into an incoming email by the filter action "Tag Mail With",  which is followed on the right by a text entry box that is supposed to contain words or phrases describing the e-mail. Is there a syntax to these words and phrases that must be followed in order to successfully enter them? How do you tell the e-mail system to display these tags after they've been entered? Can these tags  be displayed if the filter moves the email to another folder?

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

4 years ago

@rjg_sftwr_eng wrote:

When I said "Flag Mail With", that was a typographical error. I meant "Tag Mail With", which is an allowed option for an Xfinity email filter action. So, the question  remains: How can you view the tags that were set into an incoming email by the filter action "Tag Mail With",  which is followed on the right by a text entry box that is supposed to contain words or phrases describing the e-mail. Is there a syntax to these words and phrases that must be followed in order to successfully enter them? How do you tell the e-mail system to display these tags after they've been entered? Can these tags  be displayed if the filter moves the email to another folder?

I'm kicking a question about this to Comcast.  I can't see where putting in a tag does anything.  Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.  I'll post back if I get an answer.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Having viewable AND searchable  tags would do a lot of things.  Perhaps most important, it would make it  possible to identify which rule caused something to happen to an email.  While this can be done with email flag colors, there are only about 10 colors.  The universe of possible tags is almost limitless because there are many, many more tags that can be made-up from various combinations of letters, numbers, underscores and other alllowable tag characters.  But, again, this only matters if an email's tags are viewable AND searchable and it is EASY to see where to click for these capabilities.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

4 years ago

@rjg_sftwr_eng Are you possibly referring to our proprietary internal spam filtering? 

Or are you referring to the email filtering service you can manually enable on a mailbox, which follows conditions or "tags" for:
Sender/From, Subject, To, CC, Header, Envelope, Size, Any recipient, Mailing list, Content, Current Date, Address in, Attachment, Is in read receipt, Calendar invite, Nested condition. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

@ComcastCSAEmail wrote: ... Sender/From, Subject, To, CC, Header, Envelope, Size, Any recipient, Mailing list, Content, Current Date, Address in, Attachment, Is in read receipt, Calendar invite, Nested condition.

After the webmail filter Conditions you listed, one of the Actions that can be specified is "Tag Mail With" followed by a user specified character string. But the "Tag Mail With" Action doesn't seem to do anything.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

4 years ago

@BruceW wrote:

@ComcastCSAEmail wrote: ... Sender/From, Subject, To, CC, Header, Envelope, Size, Any recipient, Mailing list, Content, Current Date, Address in, Attachment, Is in read receipt, Calendar invite, Nested condition.

After the webmail filter Conditions you listed, one of the Actions that can be specified is "Tag Mail With" followed by a user specified character string. But the "Tag Mail With" Action doesn't seem to do anything.

ahh I now see what you are referring to. I did a test and it appears to do nothing for me as well... I'm creating a ticket with the engineers about this one and see what they get back to me with in regards to its function as i dont see it extensively documented. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

@ComcastCSAEmail wrote: ... I'm creating a ticket with the engineers about this ...

Thank you!

... i dont see it extensively documented. 

I would be nice if Comcast or Open-Xchange would document the Appsuite filter options beyond a few of the most elementary ones.   Smiley Happy

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

4 years ago

So i heard back, it appears to be a decomissioned feature and is pending removal from the filter rule set. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I tried the feature and it does nothing.  This "decommissioned feature" is still there over a year later.  Given the fact that the IOS app is going away, it would be great to clean up the browser version.  Also, I agree with earlier comment about the need for better documentation of all of the features.

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

Closing a one-year old thread.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here