Community Forum

Cannot send email!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Cannot send email!

Has Comcast done something different in the past couple of days that has caused my email to stop functioning?

Cannot send email. No changes have been made to the computer except normal MS updates (Windows 10). It was working fine until yesterday when I began getting popups from my email program that authentication was not needed, or password not accepted, or whatever. The password is fine because I was able to log in and get all my Inbox email. I notice that it logs in but then stalls on authentication and keeps asking for the password. I click the OK box and it just repeats the process over and over again, never connecting with the server to Send the email.

I have tried different SMTP settings and they make no difference. I had been using 465 for the port, but since it stopped working I changed it to 587. That too made no difference. Both POP3 and SMTP have the boxes checked for secure connection. And the log in page has the box checked for "My server requires authentication. I even tried it by unchecking that and that made no difference. I changed the server time out to 90 seconds and that made no difference.

I have tried 4 email programs; the new Outlook Express, OE Classic, Outlook 2016, and Incredimail, all with the same results. I did see that Incredimail failed in its initial attempt to Send a message, but later was able to Send it. Outlook 2016 is set up to SMTP, not IMAP.

I have to resort to using my phone to send email which takes forever, or to sign onto my Comcast account on the web and do email from there. That is not acceptable, but that's what I am forced to do.

WHY?

WHY?

WHY?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Cannot send email!

I have not been able to login into SMTP outgoing server despite numerous tries from Thunderbird.  Password correct, I suspect someting broken.  Password works fine for incoming mail.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I could send email from Comc early this morning but not now - 3 emails stuck in Outbox.

Highlighted
Contributor

a test message from android phone stuck in outbox. 

so that is IMAP and POP that is apparently broken.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have had trouble all morning, I have tried outlook, tried webmail through xfinity and my phone, nothing is working. Incoming emails are extremely slow as well. Keep getting the pop up asking for my outgoing password. Tried to live chat and got disconnected. Another strange thing is the automated assistant shows an alternate gmail email account as my preferred email address and that's not correct. Very frustrating trying to email clients. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem. It just started today. I can mysteriously send from the web client if I use that, but my iphone and windows 10 outlook 2010 will not send. Keep getting prompted for smtp password which has not changed. This is undoubtedly something on the comcast side, or somehow connected to ios 14 upgrade which occurred last night. Is anyone else who is having this problem also using iphone with upgrade to 14? 

Highlighted
Contributor

My family have had random problems for several days with THREE different Windows 10 computers, wireless and Ethernet-attached, different locations (different routers in different states), all with Mozilla Thunderbird and Windows Defender.

"Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.comcast.net timed out. Try again."

Port: 465
Authentication method: Normal password
Connection security: SSL/TLS

If I retry a few minutes later, sometimes it goes through.

It is a COMCAST problem.

Highlighted
New Poster

Same here using Outlook.  Inbound OK, Outbound intermittant.

Xfinity suppport says no problem there, call Microsoft.  🙂 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Same here - I waited an hour and this time 1 out of 3 went through..........tried again, finally the other 2 went through........what a PITA!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

IMAP AND POP3 are incoming mail. SMTP is outbound. That is what's broken. Hard to believe Comcast has let this go this long!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It's not the iPhone update. Look at all these responses and you can see it involves many different email clients and even different states! Incredible!

Highlighted
Contributor

I chatted with support for a while this afternoon. Described the problem in detail.  I was promised a telephone callback in 10 minutes... that was 90 minutes ago.

"I'll raise a ticket to the dedicated advanced repair team. be rest assured a senior technician will have this issue resolved over the call."

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue, as it seems many of us are. I've been unable to reach a human agent.

I spent several hours trying to solve the problem. I'm extremely busy and I have no more time to devote to this, so I'm going to drop Comcast if I can't find an answer within the next 12 hours or so.

I'd like to get Comcast's attention somehow, but I don't know how.  I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to proceed. I'm not willing to spend much more time on this.

The disruption of not being able to send email is the most important issue to me. I don't really care much how I spend, who provides the service, or much anything else.

In the short term, I need one of two things: A. a way to get through to a human agent at Comcast, or B. a company to move to, C. force Comcast to pay attention.

Since I've tried A without success, I'm looking for suggestions.

For B: Google Fiber, Spectrum, Verizon Fios,  and Utopia, don't service my area. Musk's Starlink isn't ready for prime time. I'm checking in soon with ATT and Kinetic.

If all other options come up empty, CenturyLink, here I come. But honestly, CenturyLink is not on top of its game.

Am I forgetting anything?

C: I'll elaborate what I mean later, if no other solutions emerge.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

You have covered all the bases just fine. This situation boggles my mind, the fact that it happened in the first place and then the fact that Comcast is doing nothing about it and some times has no idea what' s wrong but tries to blame it on Microsoft. Hello?!?!?!? I'm going to try a chat later. If I make any headway I'll be back and let you know.

Highlighted
Contributor

"In the short term, I need one of two things: A. a way to get through to a human agent at Comcast,"

What worked for me was using the "Chat" feature. I went around in circles for a while getting useless repsonses from some bot until I typed "representative" which connected me with a live person (on Chat).

Of course, the agent "Jason" promised me a phone call from advanced support, and that never happened. However, I haven't encountered the SMTP error for a little while, which may be coincidental.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Try shutting down your mail client and rebooting your computer AFTER rebooting your modem and router if you have one. Even though no one definitively got through the wall of silence at Comcast I believe they fixed whatever problem existed with their SMTP servers, so you may just have to refresh your connection to the service. You can start by just rebooting your computer to see if that fixes it before having to go through rebooting the modem and router.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I had tried the rebooting procedure along with everything else and it hadn't made any difference. I decided this AM to try an email again on my old Dell with Windows Mail- key word is again. I was surprised to find it worked! I went back to my Windows 10 laptop and tried it again there and it did not work. It kept asking for the password over and over. You know that routine. I knew it was right, but just as a last ditch effort, when the request for the password box came up again, instead of going through the endless routine of pressing OK, I deleted the password and typed it in again. And it WORKED! I didn't bother rebooting the modem since the email worked just fine on this old Dell. I hope this is the end of this SMTP problem. Try what you've read here and see if yours is working.

Have fun!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I got through to an agent at Comcast today, but they did not acknowledge the problem. (They told me I should contact the tech support of my email client.)

When I told them I would need to drop Comcast internet if they would not address the issue, they promptly transferred me to the billing department to cancel my Comcast internet account. It appears that they really had no concern whether I remained a customer or got the service they are supposed to provide.

It puts me in a bad situation because at the moment, the only real alternative at my address is CenturyLink, which is no better than Comcast and possibly worse. Fortunately, within 2 years, there will be at least 3 strong competitors in my area, so I won't have to live with CenturyLink forever and will certainly never have to go back to Comcast.

For anyone who's interested, I'd like to start an off-line discussion about ways we could financially damage Comcast to get their attention. If enough of us show interest, I think it's very doable.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm afraid it would be an exercise in futility to try to damage Comcast financially. I don't know what you may have tried based on the suggestions here, but if you haven' tried them, go that route first. My email is still working fine this morning. If you haven't rebooted the computer, go that route. And if that doesn't work, try the reboot of the modem procedure as described here. And don't forget- all I had to do was to delete the password in the box that came up requesting it again. Then I retyped it and it's been working fine ever since. Give it a go, the suggestions listed here, and you just may be back in business again. Don't give up!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

My email is still broken.

There are many, many ways to plausibly cause Comcast financial damage. Don't give up hope. This is very doable and we could cause a ton of financial damage.

I just spoke with an experienced class action attorney. There's possibly a good case here if the situation persists, and it would be self-perpetuating because the lawyers typically have a large financial incentive to pursue it to a settlement. I going to keep on it. Others here should do the same.

Everyone here should record what you are and have experienced. It's very important that you write down *now* the following:

1. what plan you have with Comcast. Keep a copy of all of the contracts and documentation related to your Comcast service. If it's convenient, make a video in which you talk aloud as you try to resolve the problem, using materials published by Comcast.

2. what happened, and how it failed your service agreements with Comcast

3. what you tried to resolve the problem

4. how you tried to reach Comcast

5. how much time you spent

6. how it affected your job, your career, your personal life, etc.

7. If anyone is using their Comcast service for a business whose operations have been disrupted, that's obviously important to note.

This is only one of a number of possible approaches.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm curious to see how many that posted here are able to send email now and how many are not. I hope everyone responds to that question so we can see how widespread failure still exists or how widespread success is.

Highlighted
Expert

@RMMM_XF wrote:

I got through to an agent at Comcast today, but they did not acknowledge the problem. (They told me I should contact the tech support of my email client.)

When I told them I would need to drop Comcast internet if they would not address the issue, they promptly transferred me to the billing department to cancel my Comcast internet account. It appears that they really had no concern whether I remained a customer or got the service they are supposed to provide.

It puts me in a bad situation because at the moment, the only real alternative at my address is CenturyLink, which is no better than Comcast and possibly worse. Fortunately, within 2 years, there will be at least 3 strong competitors in my area, so I won't have to live with CenturyLink forever and will certainly never have to go back to Comcast.

For anyone who's interested, I'd like to start an off-line discussion about ways we could financially damage Comcast to get their attention. If enough of us show interest, I think it's very doable.

No one ever said that you have to use Comcast email.  Why not use Gmail instead?  Many customers do not use Comcast email.  My primary email address is with Gmail.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

RKelly wrote: "I'm curious to see how many that posted here are able to send email now and how many are not."

In the past 24 hours, three people in my family have sent email from their Comcast accounts through Comcast SMTP servers with NO delay or problems of any sort.

To the person who suggested we use a Gmail account, that is not a bad suggestion, except that Google reads your email for advertising purposes (or it used to) and Comcast doesn't (that I know of).

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am still experiencing issues with outgoing email. I do use gmail as a backup but I have used my email address for many years and it is an established point of contact with my clients, to tell me to just switch over simplifies the situation. I shouldn't have to switch to another email, I pay Comcast for a service, email support is included in that service and it should be, welll, supported. Instead there is no acknowledgement of any responsvilitiy and a lot of passing the blame to the email client when clearly it is not the email client that is the issue. 

Highlighted
Expert

@crawfordtn wrote:

I am still experiencing issues with outgoing email. I do use gmail as a backup but I have used my email address for many years and it is an established point of contact with my clients, to tell me to just switch over simplifies the situation. I shouldn't have to switch to another email, I pay Comcast for a service, email support is included in that service and it should be, welll, supported. Instead there is no acknowledgement of any responsvilitiy and a lot of passing the blame to the email client when clearly it is not the email client that is the issue. 

• You actually don't pay for email service/support.  Email is a freebie.
  • If you're using residential email for business purposes you should consider using something else.
  • Webmail is not an email client.
  • Consider using Google Workspace for your business email.  It's far superior to Comcast residential email - and you DO pay for it [$6 per month per user] - and you get a lot more for your $$.
    • 24/7 support
    • 30GB cloud storage
    • file sharing
    • video conferencing
    • 99.9% uptime on email
  • You can have a customized email address.

I completely understand it's not something you want to hear, but you may end up being a lot happier and secure.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks so much NOT a Comcast employee for your advice, but again, oversimplifying the situation.  And it doesn't matter if there isn't a specific itemized fee for email, it's part of the package that I pay for, so yes, I expect it to function properly. I never said webmail was an email client, it was just one way that I tried to send email that failed, in addition to my email client. So not sure where you got that from, but again.. thanks so much for your input. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Like most people, I have a gmail account. I also have an account at an institution that employs me.

However, I also have an account associated with my online business and it requires an email server.  I've had it at the same address for 20 years. For obvious reasons, I can't use my work email or my gmail account for my business.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Another interesting development ... I visited an Xfinity store and spoke with two of the employees about the situation. At first, they expressed surprise I was having a problem, and also surprise that I was cancelling my Comcast service on account of this. However, a few minutes later, they admitted that they are aware of Comcast customers having this problem for as long as they have been working there (several years each). They claimed that not every customer has the problem, and speculated about the conditions that cause it, but also admitted that when the problem arises, nobody knows how to solve it.

I recorded the conversation on my cell phone. It is legal in my state, and I believe in most states in the US, to record a conversation as long as you have the consent of one party. That means you can lawfully record any conversation to you yourself are in, and it's admissible in court. I suggest that everyone here record your conversations with Comcast employees going forward, and that you specifically ask about the issue of email and how long it's been a problem.

The longer this has persisted, the more vulnerable Comast is in a class action suit. Damages would be determined based on how many customers are affected, for how long, and to what extent.

Another important consequence of this, is that Comcast can't solve the problem, which makes them even more vulnerable. We can discuss this problem freely and openly wherever we want and Comcast has no response. If they were capable of fixing the problem, they presumably would have done so years ago.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I encountered this recently as well and here is what fixed it for me:

1) Log into your email on the web via https://connect.xfinity.com/

2) Hit the gear icon in the upper right and goto Email Settings

3) Goto the Security menu

4) Check the box under "Third Party Access Security" if it isn't checked.

It appears that this "feature" intentionally blocks access by apps like Outlook unless the user opts-in.

I looks like this was added in September 2020. It says that the box should be checked by default. But it somehow become unchecked for me without me ever knowing it existed.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/third-party-email-access

Highlighted
Contributor

@Ryan2845 wrote:

I encountered this recently as well and here is what fixed it for me:

1) Log into your email on the web via https://connect.xfinity.com/

2) Hit the gear icon in the upper right and goto Email Settings

3) Goto the Security menu

4) Check the box under "Third Party Access Security" if it isn't checked.

It appears that this "feature" intentionally blocks access by apps like Outlook unless the user opts-in.

I looks like this was added in September 2020. It says that the box should be checked by default. But it somehow become unchecked for me without me ever knowing it existed.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/third-party-email-access

The above is a very good suggestion.  Unfortunately, it has not solved my own problem with delays involved in establishing communications with both Comcast's SMTP (outgoing-mail) server and Comcast's incoming-mail server.

There is something strange going on with Comcast's mail servers.  There are many threads in this forum about this situation.  Not everyone is affected.  In my case, and in the cases of at least some other subscribers, the problem appears to come and to go without a discernible pattern.

It is very frustrating.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I hadn't thought about the Security setting as described here. It is a good tip, but didn't reflect my situation at all. As some others found, Comcast did something to help and whatever it was, it cleared up the mess and my email started working again on its own.  I just hope it doesn't start failing all over again because help with correct answers were not coming from Comcast at all. Thus that avenue does not offer much help in getting anything solved on this particular issue.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Do not install the latest Windows update. I installed last night and now my Outlook is not sending again. Could be coincidental, but I doubt it. Tried from my iphone and it is working.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have the latest update too, came in Monday, version 20H2, and my email is working fine. I'm certainly thankful for that! Now if they could only get the battery issue working. 🙂

rk

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

There have been many good theories put forward in this thread, but there seems to be no verified cause or a solution that works for everyone. Something is definitely affecting Xfinity (Comcast) email service to third party email client applications running on Windows.

My wife and I use Outlook (latest Office 365 version) running on Windows 10. Our Comcast.com email service was working fine until yesterday (Nov 10). We lost service between roughly 8:30 am and 3:15 pm Eastern Time. Service then remained solid until late last night, but we could no longer send or receive email from Outlook early this morning and it has been out all day. We can still access email at Comcast.net in a browser or using email apps on our Apple phones (IOS).

I have seen postings on the internet claiming that security protocol registry settings in Windows may have been changed by a new OS release. Our service was fine until November 10, so I did a system restore to November 9. That had no effect. I also then installed the latest updates to Outlook and the Office 365 apps, and that didn't work, either.

There is some chatter that a Windows registry setting for the TLS 1.3 protocol needs to be enabled. There is no such node in our registry settings now, enabled or disabled. The fact that our service comes back intermittently seems to shoot down that theory - at least in our case.

I cannot call Xfinity customer support because we are no longer paying customers. After years of Comcast internet service, we continue to use Comcast email. However, I did spend over an hour yesterday on the phone with Microsoft technical support. The support rep was competent and very helpful. He tried everything he could think of and concluded that the connection problem is on the Comcast side. He even tried to reach Xfinity tech support on my behalf, saying that they would probably talk to him. (That's really going the extra mile. Microsoft Support sure has changed in the last few years.)

I know that the problem is not in our email account settings in Outlook, because those same settings work fine on two different machines when service comes back. 

If any of you folks are paying Xfinity customers, I hope you will put the pressure on!  😎

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

How did you retain your Comcast email account without being a paying Comcast customer? I have always wondered if there is a way to keep the email account without being a broadband customer.

And your analysis is spot on - there is something happening on the Comcast side and as customers we can do nothing but hope they resolve it. It could be connected to Windows updates but that is not a given. I have noticed that it seems to be attachments which block outgoing connections. If Comcast was a more efficient and well managed company there would be someone from the tech side monitoring this thread and interacting with us. And there may be but they apparently have to remain silent. This is NOT user error or a user configuration problem - it is too widespread and over too diverse an array of clients for it to be anything other than a Comcast SMTP originiating issue.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity and most ISPs allow former customers to keep their email addresses and email service indefinitely without having an active billing account. I can actually log in to our old Xfinity account to see past billing information, but I cannot contact customer service by phone or chat. As long as there is no 90-day lapse in email activity, the email account will remain active.

Apparently, the cost of carrying those email accounts is offset by brand visibility (@comcast.com) and general goodwill.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I even wondered if pressure was being put on parties using email clients to do all their email from the web where it could be monitored better! I knew from the get-go that it was not a Microsoft problem. As mentioned earlier, I even tried sending email from my old Dell laptop with Windows 7 and it too did not send. It's working now, thank the Lord! and has been since the 3rd day after it quit- that's called resurrection! Worked on the 3rd day. 🙂

Highlighted
Contributor

@pipesdma wrote:

There have been many good theories put forward in this thread, but there seems to be no verified cause or a solution that works for everyone. Something is definitely affecting Xfinity (Comcast) email service to third party email client applications running on Windows.  [....]

It is not just Windows users.  I am having problems (gross delays in the handshaking process when sending mail and when receiving mail) with a third-party email program on my Macintosh computer. The problem is intermittent.  Sometimes, it is completely gone.  Then, without warning, it comes back, and stays for hours.

I have been a paying Comcast subscriber since ~ 2000.  I signed up for service in my former neighborhood, and when I moved to my current residence, I paid Comcast a healthy chuck of change to run cable almost 1000 feet so that I could continue to enjoy high-speed Internet connectivity via Comcast.

These problems of grossly delayed handshaking and even of timeouts arose without warning several months ago.  They come and go with no discernible pattern.  Sometimes they last for some number of minutes, other times they last an hour or two or even several hours, and yet other times they last for days.

Very frustrating!  Hardly Comcastic!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Comcastic- cute. 🙂 I Noticed that also about the slow handshaking process. Must be the Wuhan Virus. Yup. Has to be.

Highlighted
Contributor

@RKelly5327 wrote:

I even wondered if pressure was being put on parties using email clients to do all their email from the web where it could be monitored better! I knew from the get-go that it was not a Microsoft problem. As mentioned earlier, I even tried sending email from my old Dell laptop with Windows 7 and it too did not send. It's working now, thank the Lord! and has been since the 3rd day after it quit- that's called resurrection! Worked on the 3rd day. 🙂

The Comcast web-mail is no substitute for a well-designed email client.

I use the Comcast web-mail portal when I have to do so.... e.g., when my email client cannot successfully complete handshaking with the Comcast mail servers.  However, there are all sorts of things that I do with my email client that I cannot do with the Comcast web-mail portal.  E.g., I have a number of mail boxes for email lists to which I subscribe, and for similar purposes, and I have constructed filters to route various email messages to various mail boxes automatically and with no intervention on my part, and the messages that those mail boxes contain remains readable regardless of whether I am on-line or off-line.  Furthermore, with a simple mouse click, I can cause mail to be displayed in chronological order, in reverse chronological order, by sender, etc., etc.  Unless I am overlooking something, the Comcast web-mail portal does not allow for such.

Also, my third-party email program has powerful Boolean seaching capabilities that allow me to almost instantaneously find an elusive email that I remeber having received from someone a couple of years ago that relates to a particular topic.  Unless I am missing something, the Comcast web-mail portal does not do anything like that.

In no way to I consider the Comcast web-mail portal an adequate replacement for a well-designed, third-party email client.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Well, here is some anecdotal information. We could not send or receive Comcast emails in Outlook today (Nov 11) until around 7:00 pm Eastern Time. Service returned about 3:15 pm yesterday.

It is interesting that the reported outages vary so much by dates and by symptoms. We are not seeing evidence of timeout errors, for example - only a failure to connect to POP and SMTP servers. 

Also, since we are no longer paying Xfinity customers I could only fill out a web form to send a message with a compliment or complaint to the office of Tom Karinshak in customer service. Lo and behold, I got a reply and have been assured that they are "actively investigating" my concerns. Hang in there, everyone!

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@leojn wrote: ... How did you retain your Comcast email account without being a paying Comcast customer? ...

Please see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-only-faqs
and https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-email-only

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

With regard to ...

Please see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-only-faqs
and https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-email-only

Thank you for your kind response. I already know all of that, though. I have no problem with continuing to use the email accounts. However, I cannot get live or chat Xfinity support because I am no longer a paying customer. Those articles suggest that I can, but not true. I have to provide the last four digits of the payment method currently on file for my Xfinity account to reach phone or chat support. If there is a back door workaround I'm not aware of it.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@pipesdma wrote: ... Thank you for your kind response. I already know all of that, though. ... I cannot get live or chat Xfinity support because I am no longer a paying customer. ...

Please note that my reply was addressed to @leojn and was specific the question "How did you retain your Comcast email account without being a paying Comcast customer?".

You stated that you had reached office of Tom Karinshak. Information from that office is, in my experience, approximately as good (or as bad) as that supplied by the phone and chat reps. If you can't get help from that office, nor the phone nor chat reps, the only other thing I can think of is visiting a Comcast Service Center or Xfinity Store. Check locations and hours at https://www.xfinity.com/support/service-center-locations.

Highlighted
Contributor

@pipesdma wrote:

Well, here is some anecdotal information. We could not send or receive Comcast emails in Outlook today (Nov 11) until around 7:00 pm Eastern Time. Service returned about 3:15 pm yesterday.

It is interesting that the reported outages vary so much by dates and by symptoms. We are not seeing evidence of timeout errors, for example - only a failure to connect to POP and SMTP servers. 

Also, since we are no longer paying Xfinity customers I could only fill out a web form to send a message with a compliment or complaint to the office of Tom Karinshak in customer service. Lo and behold, I got a reply and have been assured that they are "actively investigating" my concerns. Hang in there, everyone!

This topic has now been marked as "Answered," but we really do not know what the solution to the (widely) reported problem is.

It is good that you have received at least some form of response, and that the problem has, for you, gone away... at least temporarily, but hopefully permanently.  For others of us, including paying subscribers such as me, the handshaking problems continue, and the mystery remains.

The response that you have received from Comcast does not answer the essential questions:

•  why are these delays happening; and
  • when will Comcast identify and eliminate their cause?

The problem is not limited to the use of one particular Operating System, or one particular email client.  This clearly indicates that the cause of the problem that subscribers (and others such as yourself) are experiencing lies on the Comcast side of the communications link.

Finally, I respectfully suggest that whoever has denoted this thread as Answered remove that designation.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm also a former Comcast customer for many years and elected to keep my comcast.net address after we moved to a "non-comcast" location.  for the last month or so I'm getting intermittent email sending failures (receive is fine).  I get 2-3 differnt messages but always involve the SMTP server.

Then some time later it work fine.  Interestingly, when the failure occurs, I can connect to my PC to my phone hotspot and it works fine.  so, I thought it was an issue on my end with my current ISP -- their tech support could not find an issue.

So, like you, I can't get help from Xfinity since I'm not a paying customer.  I really don't want to go through email address changes but may be forced to do so.

Highlighted
New Poster

That did it for me!  I'm on a Mac.

Highlighted
New Poster

I was experiencing the same problems with my email as has been reported over the past week and a half.  It appears that Comcast has finally taken action to correct whatever was broken.  I was able to respond to emails this morning (added CC, changed the Subject line and send the email).  Whatever they did....FINALLY seems to have worked.