Community Forum

Cannot send email... ESMTP server temporarily not available message

Highlighted
New Poster

Cannot send email... ESMTP server temporarily not available message

I am a former xfinity subscriber that kept my email address.  I access my email through Thunderbird and recently I started to get this error message when I attempt to send messages --

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  resomta-ch2-15v.sys.comcast.net resomta-ch2-15v.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available, please contact support.

I have ensured that the outgoing email password is correct and I have even deleted the password and resubmitted it which allows the system to send messages for a day or two then returns back to this error message and the email does not send.  What else can I do to prevent this issue?

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Cannot send email... ESMTP server temporarily not available message

If @ComcastCSAEmail or another employee doesn't reply to your message here, Comcast Security Assurance should be able to help. You can reach them at 1-888-565-4329 (from https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers.

The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful, so you may need to be persistent and keep at them until you get a satisfactory answer.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@OSUFan2000 Appears the issue is referenced directly in the error message you received. There is an instance failing authentication. Meaning a wrong password. Due to this the server placed an automated block on connections. This can be resolved by resolcing any issues in configuration with devices linked with the email account. (this means anything from email clients, security systems, log reporting systems, etc.)

I'm sending you a PM to get more information and see if I can find anything else for you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have a similar issue that occurs every two days. Once I change my password, update my outlook password, all is well. When I receive the failure message, I start over. So every two days I have to reset my password. Why? No one in customer support nor technical support has been able to correct this. Yesterday was day 12. Six different passwords. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you. I figured it was something like that. Guess I’ll have to figure out what app or program is doing this.
<Edited>

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your assistance. Im not familar with the PM features and still show an unread message.  I have turned off my Nortons VPN on my iphone to see if this solves the issue. On day three with email service. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

I think i may have identified what was causing this issue and put a fix in place, if you continue to have issues, feel free to PM me directly with the details. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks so much for your help 🙂