Tuesday, May 5th, 2020 2:00 PM

Closed

Can't send outgoing mail on IMAC from Comcast

@ Comcast tech on passwords, IMAC Macmail 

Contributor

• 

476 Messages

4 years ago

Are u using the mail app on your iMac or Xfinity connect?  If u haven't tried the native mail app it's easy to set up. Just open the envelope in your dock and go to mail preferences or system preferences, internet accounts.  It varies depending on which Mac OS you're using. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Hi linda,

I"m runningh High Sierra on a late 2013 iMAC Version  10.13.6 (I've got a bunch of Word 2011 stuff that's all 32 byte that won't work on new 64 byte tech.) I'm 83 and a real dunce-- so please be gentle (hahaha)  I just use the MacMail that comes on the machine- I'm a Florida snowbird, so I get some mail from G mail and Spectrum. Everything seems to come into the MACMail but I can't seem to get anything to send out of the MacMail site-- so I have to go back to Xfinity and it's a real drag. I keep changing passwords because my memory is shot and it never seems to recognize passwords. I don't know where to find the envelope you're speaking of. Could you repeat in baby talk sso I'd understandd. I would truly appreciate this. MB3

Contributor

• 

476 Messages

4 years ago

Okay, first thing is u can get an Microsoft Office 365 subscription for your iMac for around $60ish for a year. You'll then be 64 bit. I'm using a mid 2012 MacBook Pro with Mac OS Catalina. For your mail assuming your password is changed on your Xfinity account, open up mail from the dock.  At the top left next to the Apple, hit mail and choose preferences. Choose accounts, Comcast, under account information check enable this account.  On the server settings tab, make sure this is what u have. 
incoming server: your email, correct password, host is imap.comcast.net

outgoing server: account Comcast, email address, password,

host is smtp.comcast.net

check in box wherever it says automatically manage connection settings. Restart. Anytime change your Comcast password restart your Mac. 
you can also try to enter your email information thru system preferences, but I think your issue is the info for the smtp server. Thru system preferences, internet accounts, click Comcast, enter your first and last name and password. Wait for your iMac to connect to the Comcast server. Good luck. Nothing against Comcast techs but 1-800-275-2273 is Apple care. They'll help with software support and send u support documents. No charge. There may be a wait time as apple stores are currently closed. Good luck. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

thank you so much for your prompt reply (all of us sitting here at their computers) I"m printing it out to digest. Agree about Apple Care. They are the most patient sweetest most knowledgeable people in the entire digital world. Every one of them. But they remind me that Comcast is a third party and  they can't get into the innards to make this go away. Comcast won't go beyond repeated robots (you used to get Finipinos who just kept saying "I'm sorry" and couldn't do anyhting to fix it.

Contributor

• 

476 Messages

4 years ago

Are u able to send mail from Xfinity connect?  If so it's definitely your Mac mail settings. I would like to recommend Tech Talk America. A website and on You Tube. A teaching site for Mac users by David A Cox. There is an abundance of information there. Good luck. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have been troubleshooting the same issue for 2 days, on two different MacBooks. I have gone to the detail logs, and it’s clear that Comcast has done something on the SMTP servers which broke the STARTTLS protocol. The error returned by the mail client is invalid username or password, but the actual error is the TLS handshake is rejected by the Comcast server. And because their answer to all e-mail questions is “use the browser it’s more secure” they have no interest in actually solving the problem. If they would use OAUTH tokens on the other clients like they do on the iPhone we would not have these issues. They refuse to comply with internet standards, which will drive more people to Gmail which supports any and all mail clients, and has plenty of actual humans with technical knowledge to help. Comcast support has never been great, and their back-end systems are terrible. I swapped personal owned equipment for their X1 modem, and my account still shows my NetGear router months later. Give up, they will not help you

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

MASOOD 

I am having same issues, using outlook365 and spark mail client for different email ids, everything was working perfect till 2-3 weeks back, now I cant send receive mails, they daffinately have blocked some ports SSL or TSL, When I am connected to my cell phone hotspot everything works fine, when i am connected my brother's AT&T wifi everything works fine, the moment I connect to my home xfinity newest router, no email can be sent or receive. Only comcast.net email works or gamil etc.

I contacted xfnity dozens of time but their answer is "evrything is good from our side check your side" horseshit , hopeless answer each time, looks like talking to a robot. 

I am seriously thinking to switch.

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@user_d12876 Please start your own thread.  You've posted to a thread that is 16 months old.  I am closing this thread to further replies.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Contributor

• 

476 Messages

3 years ago

I don’t understand what you’re talking about but I can send email from my 2020 MacBook Pro. Granted I don’t send much email from my Mac as I’m retired now but I’ve scanned docs recently then emailed as attachments and sent from my MacBook Pro and received response from the other party. I just now sent a test email from my MacBook Pro Comcast.net account to my gmail account using the Mac’s native mail app. It was received at my gmail account and I replied to it. My email on my MacBook Pro looks slightly different in Mac OS Big Sur. Call Apple Care. They should be able to help you with your settings. Comcast tech support was never good with a non Windows support. Apple will help you even if your Apple Care has expired. Good luck.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here