rfb's profile

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

Saturday, May 16th, 2020 8:00 AM

Closed

Can't download emails from POP Server

In the last couple of months I have not been able to download emails. I get a time-out message. If I reboot my Windows 10 computer, I can download for a day or two, but then the problem reappears. I use the POP server mail.comcast.net port 995. Works okay on my phone and Kindle. Same exact settings for my spouse on another WIndow 10 desktop. I have turnoff the firewall and ran scanpst. When I try to switch to imap, I get a message that something went wrong, so I am stuck with POP.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

4 years ago

I'm curious---------what email client are you using on the pc?

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 years ago

Outlook 2016 and it is update. 

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 years ago

I have uninstalled KB4556799 and the problem seems to go away. However, the next time update runs, it will install again. I have paused updating, but it won't pause forever.

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

4 years ago

@rfb wrote:

I have uninstalled KB4556799 and the problem seems to go away. However, the next time update runs, it will install again. I have paused updating, but it won't pause forever.

You may want to read this article about that update.  And down at the bottom of the article it tells you about the Windows Update Troubleshooter, which will "proactively block KB4556799 to stop it from coming back".

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 years ago

Windows Troubleshooter Update sounds great, but the problem update was not selectable when I ran it?

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

4 years ago

@rfb wrote:

Windows Troubleshooter Update sounds great, but the problem update was not selectable when I ran it?

If you've uninstalled it, the troubleshooter won't find it.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here