virginiabuckeye's profile

Contributor

• 

43 Messages

Friday, April 19th, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

Can't Send Email - started this morning

I have not been able to send email today. I get my email, but can't send. Using Thunderbird 60.6.1 on Windows 10. Using smtp.comcast.net on Port 465. Have also tried Port 587. Security SSL, Normal Password. Message is: Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.comcast.net timed out. Try again.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

43 Messages

5 years ago

I never send emails from the Xfinity website and rarely from my iPhone. The last emails I sent from my iPhone were probably when I was on vacation last summer. I did not have a problem, but the timeout issue is sporadic so I can't say that says anything about the issue. I will go months with no problem on my computer, then go many days in a row where I can't send emails.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

5 years ago

@virginiabuckeye - If you get an error message, could you please let me know right away? I will check if we have any issues with the server at that moment. 

@tolsen35 - Got you. Do you have any recent examples? I would greatly appreciate it. 

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

Hi:

Answer is yes to both. SMTP is sporadic with third party or on xfinity directly.

Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

5 years ago

@jiminindy - Thank you for letting me know. To address any issues with the server, we will need to get some examples. Would you please send me examples when you get them? 

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

@CCElla When I go to send the email It states:  'No Network Connection.  your email will be sent the next time you connect to a network'.  It then sits in the outbox until it magically connects and randomly sends.  It could be hours, days or over a week in some cases.  

This just occurred, yet I was able to send some emails an hour ago and I haven't moved.  

If I go into the settings - server settings - it processes the checking incoming server settings with no issue but then it gets hung up on the 'checking outgoing server settings' until an error pops up that states "Unable to connect to email server to verify your account information.   No response from server."

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

5 years ago

@tolsen35 - Could you please send me a private message with your first and last name, email address? 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

5 years ago

@jiminindy - Oh, no worries at all. I'm sorry I was not clear. Examples of when you try to send an email and you get an error message, or it sits in Outbox longer than it supposes to. 

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

I'm sorry....just what examples? 'Not trying to be flip...I just don't understand.

@CCElla wrote:

@jiminindy - Thank you for letting me know. To address any issues with the server, we will need to get some examples. Would you please send me examples when you get them? 

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

5 years ago

you had, but Hi @rbpettit1

Welcome to the Xfinity Forums. Thank you for sharing the experience you had when you were not able to send email messages. We apologize for the inconvenience but are very happy you were able to find a resolution when changing your Thunderbird security settings. We appreciate you providing your feedback and the steps you took to fix things on your end. We hope this is will be helpful to others who are still having problems. Thank you. 

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I started having this exact same problem with Thunderbird on my PC as of yesterday morning (May 6), having made absolutely no changes in my Thunderbird settings. I could receive emails but could no longer send them. When I'd try to send, I'd get the same error message about the server having timed out. I called Comcast, and the agent was of no help whatsoever, just wanted to tell me that it was not Comcast's fault, but Thunderbird's fault and he couldn't do anything for me.  I changed port numbers back and forth, but no difference. Tonight, on a whim, I switched the connection security setting on my outgoing SMTP server from SSL/TLS to STARTTLS. Lo and behold, I can now send e-mails again! I have no idea why it worked, nor do I know what difference the security settings make, but I now have successfully restored Thunderbird's ability to send  e-mails. Perhpas it's worth it for others to try.

Contributor

• 

43 Messages

5 years ago

rbpettit, I hope you read this thread from beginning to end, but I doubt it.  If you had, you'd know that this is an issue that comes and goes. I hope you'll come back in a day or two or a week and tell us whether your "solution" continues to work. We try things on our end, including the one you just described, and lo and behold, it's a miracle (sorry, I love quoting one of my favorite movies) only to find it doesn't work a day or week or month later. We're pretty convinced this is a Comcast server issue. ComcastElla, please continue to try to work this issue on your end.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I'm monitoring it daily,. I'll let you know if there's a relapse. Thanks for the warning.

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

@CCElla wrote:

@jiminindy - Oh, no worries at all. I'm sorry I was not clear. Examples of when you try to send an email and you get an error message, or it sits in Outbox longer than it supposes to. 

Hi, Ella:

Just a few minutes ago, 1140 our time, it took about 15 seconds to send a simple text email to an eastlink.ca address. No errors, just very slow. I realize this is out of country, but is typical even for local traffic. 'Haven't had a total failure recently.

Thanks,

jim

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

Of course, it is working flawlessly right now, with the exception of once in a while it takes several seconds to send. !!!

Thanks.

@CCElla wrote:

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

Let us know if that changes!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here