oandroido's profile

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

Thursday, May 14th, 2020 7:00 AM

Closed

Can anyone explain how to kill wavedir.com spam?

I have set up filters but they're not working... at all.

Total spam & I can't imagine ANYONE responding to these. Just annoying.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Hamphouse - as for the reason for the reject you can just key in what you want. You can put in there, "Because I Hate YOU" and leave that as the reason for the rejection. Personally I want to put a couple other statements in there, but they wouldn't be appropriate for this venue.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

I came here with the same problem. Some were being filtered, but some not. I realized my mistake was I was filtering by wavedir in the Subject, not the From field. Hopefully changing it to that will fix it!

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Well, without reading this whole thread, has anyone yet received a useful answer to this question?  I am open to any kind of legal counter attack.  I'm just sayin'

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Just on a whim, in a dangerous act of desparation, I performed a web search for each of the web addresses that were mentioned in the body of one of the MANY messages that I have received from wavedir.com.

I was not very surprised to find that neither of the two addresses listed in the most recent mail I received from wavedir were valid.

Dear Comcast,

Surely there are some legal avenues that you could pursue on our behalf to minimize this harrassing invasion.  Please Do!

Regular Visitor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

Guys. I haven't had wavedir mail in a week now. Not even filtered to my junk. I'm not saying this is the answer because I have no clue, really, but it's the only thing I think I am doing differently than you all. IN ADDITION to creating junk rules that send wavedir to junk, I would visit the junk box each day and forward each wavedir email AS AN ATTACHMENT to missed-spam@comcast.net. That way you are informing Comcast directly about each and every piece of junk. I think if everyone flooded this box with their wavedir spam, wouldn't they be more inclined to work on this problem in an expeditious manner? Just try it. It's a PITA but for now mine has stopped. I'll report back if it starts back up again.

Oh, and I never once tried unsubscribing. I didn't want to risk it.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

That's what I meant by "useful answer".

THANK YOU!

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

If they are a legitimate company why don't they mail from a wavedir.com account.  I got the same advertisement from 5 different addresses.  That seems to be the definition of SPAM to me.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Hahaha...

I did as rhino suggested, and by chance, I still had 20-30 wavedir messages still in my trash.  I started sending each of them to the comcast mail address that rhino shared.  I don't recall how far down the list I got, but comcast sent me a message that I've never seen before, saying that I had reached the maximum messages sent for "this session".

I wonder if wavedir has ever seen that message from its provider (I know the answer).

Anyway, I'm having fun with this, as long as I can continue to avoid real malicious damage.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

My wife has been having the problem for about three or four days and came to me with the issue. Here is what I did this morning and it seems to work. We use Outlook and so I set up a few rules to move the message into the "Junk" folder when it arrives. If you look at the url of the incoming emails, I selected a few common "words" and by clicking on the message with the right mouse button, selecting "Rules" and then selecting the message options you can create a list of those words (apparently some are foreign) that are in the sending url data. Some seem to be in each one I looked at near the beginning. I then ran the rule against the emails sitting in the inbox and it removed all of them. If you don't know how to use the "Rules" function use your search engine or go to Microsoft if you have Outlook. In addition, you might, very carefully, pick words that are in the Subject line and set rules to remove them as well but you might accidentally block other emails you would want to get if this rule is applied generally. I would not recommend doing this for most people.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks, Ken,

I have acted on your advise... we'll see how it turns out.

I also did the same to those pesky Amazon Aws blasts.

Do you know of any reason why I would possibly desire any messages from this hidden reply address?

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

4 years ago

The solution @Diesel8859 gave is working for me.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

The problem with filters is that the company will continue to send mail to your address forever. I was getting messages everybday on every conceivable topic and I finally just unsubscribed through their link from my cell. It has been two weeks and not a single new message. If it did not work for you, it may be that you are getting ads from different subsidiaries of the same parent company. Unsubscribe from all until you get zero. There were no traps, worms or other consequences from doing this!! Much easier and then they know you don't want them. If they are a legit company (as appears to e the case) there are official FTC consequences for ignoring 'Unsubscribe' directives, and you have recourse if they do not stop. If all you do is filter, you will still be on their list and if they sell their list, other companies will then have your email. This obviously does not work for illicit spammers whose links you should never click on.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

If you are suggesting we click on the unsubscribe link in their email - that is the number one way to get your computer hacked. Never click on anything in an email unless you are sure who sent it and what it is.  

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

same problem ... inbox

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, I agree, but if you read the message from the Comcast employee above, they investigated and found that they are a legitimate company. A very annoying one with doubtful marketing techniques, but an actual company.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here