Danica123's profile

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

Saturday, June 20th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

Being asked to type in CAPTCHA letters as well as password to get into my e-mail????

ScreenShot118429.jpg

Why am I getting locked out of my e-mail for the first time in over 15 years???  This screen appearsI then I  type in the letters and it doesn't work, it bouces back to this screen.   Then when I use the audio challenge it finally works.  WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?   I am an old man on a desktop computer, what gives here?  Please inform.    My screenshot of this  doesn't seem to be showing.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

4 years ago

screenshot of  what I describescreenshot of what I describe

Its my email and password box then a  capcha check with moving  letters underneath this , I don't understand why the photo is not showing here?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Me too.  Started the same day of your post ... and to add insult to injury, it acts like I've typed in the wrong letters and sends me back to login screen.  Again, again, and again.  This is a security feature some genius at Xfinity devised that obviously isn't ready for prime time, and a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

4 years ago

OK, so this is not just me.

I have been a Comcast customer for OVER 15 YEARS with the same  three e-mail addresses.

There has never been a problem.  EVER! They are constantly asking for a phone number, when obviously they have my phone number from my account.     If I am in London on business and this happened it would be a nightmare because I have a different phone when I'm away on business in the UK.  So they couldn't text me anyway.

COMCAST PLEASE FIX THIS THING.  PLEASE!

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have a slight variation.  When I access email from my phone, CAPTCHA fails, so authentication does not complete.  However, when using my laptop, CAPTCHA succeeds. 

I have tried numerous times with my iPhone and authentication fails.  Does Comcast offer rebates when services are not available?

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Hi @Danica123 @YellowLabrador @jxc2 

closing the loop from the other thread:

Last weekday we had a root cause analysis meeting hosted by our Reliability Engineering group with the product owners of the functionality around why this happened and what we can do to prevent it from happening again.

For background, you’ve probably experienced Captcha on many websites you’ve visited, the goal is to ensure you’re a human by answering the letters in a way that typically only humans can, and to stop bots from brute forcing their way into your account by trying different password combinations/permutations until they successfully guess your password. This is why we recommend two-step verification and NOT using secret questions and answers, so even if there was no captcha and they could brute force past the password, they’d still need access to your phone or email or your Xfinity Authenticator App to sign in.

If you’ve forgotten your password or mistyped it, that is typically the trigger for Captcha, perfectly fine when it’s functioning normally.

In a nutshell we made some back end API tweaks which required an increase in thread pull count (like putting in new plumbing and needing to know the water pressure to support the new plumbing), the proper alerting wasn’t in place. We’ve been assured that any future integrations with these APIs will have the proper alerting before they impact customers (similar to checking for leaks after a new plumbing job is installed). Had the alerting been in place we would have been able to catch the issue in the first go around.

Thanks again everyone for your patience, I’m personally committed to ensuring things like this are one-offs and that there’s continuous improvement to create a smoother and more reliable experience. Feel free to reply or PM if you have any further questions.

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

4 years ago

Comcast/Xfinity please understand that many older consumers do not have smart phones and have never sent or recieved a text even on a basic phone.  Please understand this and make note of this ...... in this case Two-step verify to a phone is NOT  going to work. 

Do you have any idea how many of your customers are over 65 years of age or older and can't two-step verify through a phone??????

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Hi @Danica123 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, we are aware that there are small pockets of users who do not use mobile texting services, however we know over 83.28% of the US population use smartphones and the text-only eligible penetration is higher. 

Two step verification is optional.

To be clear, we want everyone on two-step verification, and are exploring ways to enable a single factor (eg email only, without SMS) to be valid for two-step enrollment. So in the future, as long as anyone has a third party non-Comcast.net email, they will be able to get a confirmation in their emails.

When that comes we'll open ways for non-texters to have a secure path to sign in on top of just a password.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here