Community Forum

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

Regular Visitor

Re: TCM Being Placed in Extra Cost Tier

<Edited> I am looking at about 30 channels I would bet no one watches. I already have a ridiculous amount of sports channels that I have never tuned into even once. I have an over abundance of Spanish language channels I have no need of. I have 5 channels showing the same programming. I have several PBS channels that run the same shows over and over again; and comcast is trying to tell us that TCM is being moved because of low viewership?! Then comcast puts it with even MORE sports channels?! <Edited> TCM has experienced a surge in popularity and NOT just with the middle aged and seniors. <Edited>. I didn't even know about this, because I'm the fool who does automatic payments, so my payment is never late. That will change. Comcast may have actually shot themselves in the foot this time. All fools, like me, do have a breaking point. I intend on removing all extras, getting this useless sports entertainment package to hold me over while I cut the cord. One day, when another big company sees the opportunity and enters the market to truly be competitive, <Edited> I have had the triple package since it existed, almost 20 years ago; but no more! Then I'll have to go through the relentless hard sell when I try to cancel. Have you ever noticed that you can add services via the internet, but when you want to cancel, you receive an error message telling you the service is down so CALL customer support. <Edited>. But until we leave Comcast nothing will change. I have never really minded the hassle or even the price increases, because it had what I wanted, <Edited>

Regular Visitor

Re: WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

Just noticed that TCM was removed from my already expensive cable package and am furious.  Upon contacting Comcast, I  was informed that this was a "business decision" and occasionally it is "necessary to make changes to channel lineups". 

So much for customer service.  What in heaven's name do TCM, Military History or CMT have to do with Sports?  What is the rationale to include those channels in this package?  Might part of it be competition with other media corps.?

Seems odd that Comcast feels compelled to move so many channels to a sports package for an additional fee, yet none of those channels that I could see are ones owned by Comcast-NBC.  TCM is owned by Turner, Military History Channel by A&E, ESPN News by Disney, CBS Sports Net by CBS, CMT by Viacom...but nothing owned by NBC.  So, all the NBC nets remain the price but a viewer needs to spend more to receive these other nets.

Comcast's decision to move these channels to a tier with an additional charge (a not insignificant $9.95) will reduce viewership to these channels, channels which compete with Comcast's own channels.  This is one of the big issues when a cable system (Comcast) buys a broadcast Corporation (NBC Universal).  Abusing their power to further their own properties with little regard for their loyal viewing customers.

Really, Comcast?  Is it smart to do this in an era of increasing cord-cutting?  I have been a mostly-satisfied, loyal Comcast customer for over 15 years, ever since my AT&T Cable became part of Comcast.  Never have I been as angry about a Comcast "business decision" as I am now. 

I am not ready to cut any cords yet...but have just been shoved closer.  This camel's back is getting woefully overloaded with straws.

TCM is a favorite channel of my family's and I am extremely disappointed Comcast felt the need to demonstrate such utter disregard to its loyal customer base, which tends to be older than the average cord-cutter and thus more likely to watch TCM.  It is a shameless abuse of their power.

New Poster

Moving TCM

I have the extra package needed to get TCM a channel that I watch on a daily basis. I don't understand the move to a sports package. It's enough I pay all these extra sports fees and now you want me to add a sports package I would NEVER watch.  I added the HD package to get the MGM movie channel and that was dropped. Less channels more money doesn't make sense. Please bring back TCM to where it belongs.

New Poster

I'm disconnecting Comcast and going with YouTube TV where TCM is in the $50 per month package! After paying $220 a month for years, <edited>

New Poster

I just got off the phone. The rep was very nice and let me vent my displeasure. I know they record all calls, and hopefully someone will listen to us. But, I doubt that.

If I were the folks at TCM, I'd see this as a golden opportunity to launch a TCM streaming service. Folks would pay $10 or $15 a month for TCM; it would be worth it to not have to skip over all the others useless channels on XFinity (and Uverse, by the way).

New Poster

The decision by Comcast to move TCM to a sports package is very disappointing to say the least. We have been long-time loyal subscribers who enjoy the TCM programming, but this is the last straw. As soon as our contractual obligations are met we are done with Comcast. Sorry, but your poor decision has backfired.
New Poster

TCM

Being a senior female I am not the least bit interested in sports, but I do love Turner Classic Movies.  Love the nostalgia of bygone days.  Xfinity you have made a big mistake.  TCM at one point was part of a basic cable lineup.

Contributor

I've been with comcast for 15+ years. This change is beyond me ......... <Edited>
I no longer questioning my loyalty to comcast ........ a final straw....
Contract up in Feb - Cancelling all my services (Quad 4) if they don't move TCM back to where it was how it was.

New Poster

Why has Turner Classic Movies disappeared from all Channel Tiers?

I have the Preferred Channel Tier and used to have Turner Classic Movies up until yesterday (or so). I checked the Channel List to see if it had moved to a Pay Channel tier but it doesn’t show up as existing on any tier available to me in Maple Grove, MN. Why is it gone and is it coming back?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Why has Turner Classic Movies disappeared from all Channel Tiers?

It’s gone, you need to add the Sports and Entertainment tier.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

TCM Move to Sports Package

I am so totally disgusted with Comcast.  Every year there is a price increase of some sort or they sneak a channel that is liked by a lot of people into a package that you have to pay extra for.  They did this a couple of years back with the show Nashville and the network CMT.  That was moved into the sports package as well and now they moved Turner Classic Movies into their sports package.  <edited>

New Poster

TCM channel taken away??

Without any advance notification, this morning I find TCM no longer available. According to other postings, it's now being added to a 'Sports Entertainment' package for another $10 a month??  I would bet that the typical TCM customer would have absolutely no interest in anything else in the 'Sports and Entertainment' package besides TCM. What's the rationale behind this except charging your customers more?? Very disappointed in Comcast for doing somnething like this, just when after years of frustration, I was beginning to actually applaud the vast improvement in customer service. If you're going to do this, you may as well just move TCM to your 'Premium Channel' listing and be done with it,  versus trying to make it look like we're getting a bargain having access to several other channels of no interest to us, in addtion to CM. 

New Poster

The Preferred Tier is the same as the Sports Package Tier. When I go to the Shop/Upgrade section of Xfinity and look at ALL the Tier Channel Lineups, TCM does not show up as an option for any tier in my area.

New Poster

I agree wholeheartedly. TCM is one of the main reasons to watch TV. Dish tv is starting to look pretty good.
New Poster

I was just in the local Comcast store about my bill. I found that to basically keep the channels I have I need to pay the higher price. This includes TCM!  I watch it daily. It’s my go-to station after PBS and now it’s gone. No mention of this when I was in the store literally days ago. I don’t watch sports so have no need for the “sports tier.”  Is that why it was moved?  So I’d pay extra to get it?  Sorry, it won’t work. In fact, if it wasn’t for the channel I get out of Canada I would cancel Comcast which I’ve had since the 80’s if not before. 

New Poster

Re: Turner Classic Movies

I'd like to thank Comcast for taking this channel away from my 89 year old mother who watches it all the time. No wonder people hate this company.

New Poster

Corporate greed. It's especially appalling because when you log on to Comcast the first thing you see is a smarmy letter in which the VP of Customer service babbles about how much they care.

@mbg71 wrote:

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.  <Edited>  Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

New Poster

Re: TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES <edited>

"Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this and contractual limitations on offering TCM a la carte, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package, which will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it."

I find it hard to believe that 90% of TCM viewers only watch two movies per month.  <Edited>  There are a LOT of people upset with this <Edited> move. 

I signed into a 2 year agreement where you locked me into a certain price with a certain channel line up.  You just removed one of the prime channels we watch.  That's why we subscribe to a premium channel.  <Edited>

New Poster

<Edited>  We have a contract in our condo building with Comcast and TCM was included in that contract.  How can it now be changed to a sports package for a charge? I watched and taped most of my movies from that channel. Its always been included in cable lineups everywhere free of charge. Comcast  inundates us with crummy channels that no one watches, yet take away one of the most enjoyable channels in their lineup <edited>
Put TCM back in the lineup. You can take away my included HBO for all I care. I have no interest at all in the sports package.  Really bad move.

New Poster

"Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this and contractual limitations on offering TCM a la carte, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package, which will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it."

I find it hard to believe that 90% of TCM viewers only watch two movies per month.  Heck, we watch two movies a night some nights on TCM.   Xfinity Programming and Marking people.  you are fu%king up big time.  There are a LOT of people upset with this stupid move. 

I signed into a 2 year agreement where you locked me into a certain price with a certain channel line up.  You just removed one of the prime channels we watch.  That's why we subscribe to a premium channel.  You broke the agreement.   I get to break the 2 year subscription.   What a bunch of twits. 

New Poster

Turner classic movies

Can not believe we have to pay an extra $10.00 per month to watch Turner Classic Movies. I'm not interested in the sport channels. Comcast should deduct $10.00 from our monthly bill
My husband and I are on a fixed income. unfortunately I just got Comcast 3 months ago and paid extra for the package that included TMC. Would cancel, but am under contract
New Poster

TCM Channel

I’m incredulous that TCM has been moved to the sports package. Removing the weatherscan channel and now this....definitely looking at other options—-especially with new services in my area! I encourage everyone to pass along your disappointment.
New Poster

TCM should be in your Premium Package.  Give me a break.  Those of us who DO watch TCM watch it a lot.  That you have offered it to other tier users who DON'T use it dilutes the numbers for those of us who do.  We are generally NOT going to buy an extra sports package to get this channel.  <Edited>.   You programming folks at Xfinity really DON'T know your customers.

New Poster

Re: Turner Classic Movies

It was only a month ago I switched after 19 yrs with DirectTV to Comcast/xfinity.  I told the rep I only cared about 4 channels...with TCM being one of them.  He said "no problem"  it is on the "Starter Package"  NOW IT IS NOT THERE!  I read I must pay for a "sports package" to get TCM.  I am outraged!!!  This is not what I paid for.  I am 72 and living on social security.  On reason I switched was a good price offered to me "unsolicited".  I feel like I have been duped!!!  Comcast must have known this was coming a month ago.  I was not informed.  I mailed back all my DirectTV boxes and I FEEL CHEATED!!  If this does not get resolved in the next few days, I am cancelling Comcast. No wonder cable TV has such a bad reputation.  DO SOMETHING COMCAST!!

Frequent Visitor

TMC Folded into a Sports Package nobody wants?

If Comcast needed another $1.50 month for me to have TMC then they should have asked. <Edited>. I pay almost $10,000 every for years for cable services with comcast and you probably do too at $200 a month. I not paying one penny more to watch these boy/men sports guys act like they are on a reality show and want to be the star. Put TMC back where it was.

New Poster

So <Edited> Comcast corporate seem to think that a channel that they claim has low viewership (<Edited>) will somehow yield more revenues if they charge extra for it? Do they think that people who ostensibly aren't watching it will choose to pay more for something they won't watch? As a rationale, it makes no sense. It only penalizes TCM viewers, which are legion.

And to lump it in with sports programming is absurd. What percentage of classic movie fans are big sports fans? Did they look at those numbers? I'll hazard a guess that it's not a significant overlap. 

The reason I chose the cable package I have is because TCM is offered among its programming -- along with a couple of Discovery channels, it's the primary channel I watch. Now I am paying the same money for less content. This is a stupid move that will drive people away from cable and toward streaming services. I'm looking at those options now.

My brother was in an Xfinity store today to address this and they are getting a ton of complaints, many of them not very civil. <Edited>

New Poster

Re: TCM

Add my voice to chorus of outrage at this move Comcast.
TCM is in my top 10 of favorite channels.
Its one of the only places that still has quality programming 24/7
BBC America was that way too until they began showing all the star treks and movies they get from AMC
COMCAST...... put TCM back to the old package
Thanks.....
Diamond Problem Solver

@Meglizar
You may have to call in to change, it’s all relatively new.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: TCM BEING SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER

I'm wondering if Comcast will retreat from this folly after the deluge of criticism finally brings them to their senses. People are not happy about this.

New Poster

This is insane!  I watch TCM every day and now they moved it to an expensive sports subscription. Greedy corporate nonsense!  We are already paying a fortune for Xfinity.  This is like a kick in the gut.

New Poster

Re: THOUSANDS WANT TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE CHANNEL LEFT ALONE AND NOT SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE

I have been busy this past week with work, out-of-town guests, and dealing with a sick dog, so did not notice Turner Classic Movies missing from my channel lineup, until today, Saturday morning.  I am majorly displeased that I no longer have access to TCM. 

Dear Comcast, please reconsider this.  I am a senior on a limited income and have always cherished Turner Classic Movies.  This is an outrage.

New Poster

I can’t believe this change either. Bring back TCM under the basic package.

New Poster

We’ve been thinking about ending tv I think this might be the last straw!
New Poster

And pay $10 more a month for a package you don't want. Ha Ha Ha Ha

New Poster

Please add my name to the lengthy list of customers outraged by what Xfinityh has done with TCM. It has nothing to do with the other channels in that package. Shame on Comcast!

Also, we receive frequent/daily emails from Comcast about nifty new uses for the remote or pay per view programs promotion. When they do have important info to relay to customers, such as this TCM change, they bury it in the fine print of their bills. Their obvious goal is to minimize the notice given, so shame on Comcast for that too!

New Poster

I've got enough sports channels and not enough classic movie channels.  (Thanks God for YouTube).  Just got an email regarding my next bill and it is the same amount as last month but now I get less channel selection for the same dollars.  To me, this is a sneaky price increase to make up for lost revenues due to cord cutting.  And by most accounts in consumer surveys, Comcast is one of the most hated companies in America.  No surprise here after their latest stunt with TCM.

New Poster

Couldn't agree more.  I've cut back on premium extra's like HBO, etc. each time my contract is due to be renewed to hold down my costs and just renewed two months ago with TCM as part of my package.  It is was great watching all those old movies!  This is nothing but greed and in my opinion a bait and switch scam.  I've added Amazon and Netflix's and its time to cut the cord. 

Frequent Visitor

TCM no longer available only with sports package

SHAME on Comcast. What has TCM have to do with sports? Absolutely nothing.

How dare Comcast do this to their customers. TCM is very popular with senior citizens as well as others.  Seniors on a fixed income cannot afford another $10 a month.

if Comcast truly cared About their customers they would reverse their decision.

<Edited>

New Poster

We'll pass it along but you will comply or leave. We don't really care what you want, it's all about extra money for us.

New Poster

Re: THOUSANDS WANT TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE CHANNEL LEFT ALONE AND NOT SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE

And that's the propaganda we're told to tell you people. The truth is our executives want larger bonuses and you get to give it to them.

@Comcast_Support wrote:

Hello All! The cost of programming generally continues to rise - in fact, our programming costs have more than doubled since 2006 - which can affect your bill. We absorb a large portion of these cost increases and are doing our best to manage them while still giving you the best value we can. While this change won’t cause the prices to go down on existing packages, it will help reduce the speed at which they go up. We have passed along everyones feedback regarding this as well.

We appreciate and value you all for choosing Comcast as your service provider. We can't thank you enough for your loyalty and we hope to continue our relationship with all of you for many years to come.

Thank you for reaching out to our Forums!

New Poster

I could not agree more with Comcast's insidious ways of squeezing more money from its subscribers. I am now a senior on a fixed income who has been with Comcast for 20 years. It is a constant fight to be able to afford their services. Cannot the FCC look into their business practices?

New Poster

Sports and TCMovies??????? I think they WANT me to look in other providers. It's bad enough you have to pay that sports fee, and I don't even  like sports. SMH

New Poster

And if you don't like that answer, go somewhere else. We don't really card what you think. We just worry about our profits.

New Poster

Been waiting to talk to costumer service for over 4 hours about TCM! Totally disgusted with xfinity 

Frequent Visitor

No warning on this. I had shows set up to record that did not record. I signed a two year agreement a little over a year ago. My rates have gone up twice in that time, and now they are screwing with the channel line up (removing TCM). Seems like their contracts are a one-way affair. Is this legal? I already pay well over $200 a month of their services. I have been dragging my feet on looking for an alternative (their competition recently ran fiber through my front yard). This is just the motivation I need to find an alternative carrier.

New Poster

I don't believe for a second that viewership of TCM is low. We watch it all the time. One of the ONLY reasons we have cable tv is so that we can watch TCM.  What you have done, you lying POS is take a very popular channel and moved it to a dying tier Sports. Everyone who has kept up with the news on the downward spiral of ESPN viewership and it's ilk knows this is the true reason you moved it. Trying to prop up a package that is dying a slow but sure death.  I'm sure it has never occurred to you to lower prices and keep them low to entice cord cutters back. But you will find that you cannot stem the tide of cord cutters. By making this kind of move you are ensuring that MORE people go. We now no longer have a reason to keep cable. We are NOT going to increase our package as it is already MORE than we can afford.  We are looking to cut our costs everywhere and if TCM is available to stream without a subscription through xfinity/comcast, we will cut the cord as soon as our sentence is up. Which I believe is in March. Sayonara baby!

New Poster

I find this very upsetting...I loved the fact I could watch timeless classic movies at any time & listen to the stories behind the movie making.

Very disappointing that comcast has turned into a nickel and dime operation...I will not pay a dime more for stations...

Will look into other services and consider the cable cutting.

@mbg71 wrote:

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.  <Edited>  Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

New Poster

Why bombard Comcast with questions about TMC, just rid them. They are an absolutely worthless cashcow who pray on the ignorant. 

New Poster

I've been paying $200/month for voice, internet and cable and have been with Comcast/Xfinity since 1998!  They are the only cable company in my area so they can extort whatever they want.  The only TV I watch with any regularity is TCM and if it was available another way, I would ditch the Xfinity thieves in a moment.  Yesterday I caved and added the Sports Package for $10 MORE per month.  Found out today that I can only watch TCM on main set, not on bedroom tv because my "cable box is too old" and Xfinity will be happy to upgrade it for me for an additional $10 a month.  Yeah, right. Not happening.  Xfinity, I am researching streaming options and when I get it set up-  we are FINISHED with you and your extortion.   https://flixed.io/watch-tcm-without-cable/

New Poster

Turner Classic Movies TCM move is a BAD decision

Read on another thread that the move was due to "low viewership" I don't believe for a second that viewership of TCM is low. We watch it all the time. One of the ONLY reasons we have cable tv is so that we can watch TCM.  What you have done,  is take a very popular channel and moved it to a dying tier called Sports. Everyone who has kept up with the news on the downward spiral of ESPN viewership and it's ilk knows this is the true reason you moved it. Trying to prop up a package that is dying a slow but sure death.  I'm sure it has never occurred to you to lower prices and keep them low to entice cord cutters back. But you will find that you cannot stem the tide of cord cutters. By making this kind of move you are ensuring that MORE people go. We now no longer have a reason to keep cable. We are NOT going to increase our package as it is already MORE than we can afford.  We are looking to cut our costs everywhere and if TCM is available to stream without a subscription through xfinity/comcast, we will cut the cord as soon as our sentence is up. Which I believe is in March. Sayonara baby!