Community Forum

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

Contributor

Re: TCM for no extra charge on your mobile device or computer - here's how

@alanh220 wrote:

I'd wanted to reply to the main message thread on the topic of TCM except Comcast in their wisdom posted "Thanks for the feedback, this topic is now closed and locked". I guess they feel they are above criticism.

I thought the same thing.  When I noticed the thread was locked, I tried to post on a different thread, and that thread disappeared.  Then I tried to start a new topic with the same post, and that disappeared!  Finally I posted the message on yet another thread, noting that the others had been deleted.  However, I recently received a reply from an "expert" saying that my posts weren't deleted.  They were just moved to the main thread.  But the main thread is locked.  I understand that to mean "no more messages".

So now I guess I have 3 of the same post floating around this forum.  If they're just going to move people's comments, why not let them keep posting on the original thread?  Stupid.

Contributor

Re: COMCAST HAS LOCKED THE TCM THREAD

I could still watch it on my web browser, but I just didn't say anything because I knew once Comcast realized customers were doing that, they would put a stop to it.

Somebody must have blabbed.

Frequent Visitor

Re: COMCAST HAS LOCKED THE TCM THREAD

@baz123 wrote:

I could still watch it on my web browser, but I just didn't say anything because I knew once Comcast realized customers were doing that, they would put a stop to it.

Somebody must have blabbed.

Yep, I wasn't going to say a thing, but apparently someone let the cat out of the bag.  Looks like it's time for plan "c"...

Regular Visitor

Lost TCM

I guess I am one of the few people that still watch it. I am connected to Xfinity every way possible and will pay whatever penalty there is to get out of this bovine discharge.

New Poster

TCM moved to sports package

Obviously the sports package wasn't selling for you to make an awful decision to move TCM to it.  I am really disappointed in Comcast for making this move.  What an awful thing to do to your customers.  I don't want a sports package because I don't care about sports at that level.  I have to rethink my cable options.

Frequent Visitor

Re: This is why everyone hates Comcast

I quite agree! Comcast's disingenuous explanation is that TCM is a channel with low viewer numbers, and is being moved to the Sports package to help defray costs.

Why would you move a channel with low viewer numbers to a higher-tier offering? Instead, you'd move a channel with more numbers to a package with less draw, and thereby increase the desire of TCM fans to purchase the package for an extra $9.99. It's essentially a middle finger to Comcast customers, especially the TCM viewers.

For years I've had Comcast primarily for TCM. I do not like sports and have no intention of purchasing their Sports package just to get TCM. I will, however, start looking at the offerings of their competitors...

Regular Contributor

TCM Move to Sports Entertainment?

Who made the decision to move TCM to Sports Entertainment? This does not sit well in my house!

We have one of those two year deals. When I signed up TCM did not cost extra. Now we have to finish out our two years without TCM.  Also, TCM has been offered with the basic package as far as I can remember, we've had it for 20+ years.

.Net Programmer
Frequent Visitor

Thank you

New Poster

Tcm and sports package?

This is the most ridiculous change I’ve ever heard of!  What!  You’re not getting enough money from your subscribers so you’ve added one more fee for nothing!  

New Poster

Re: Comcast's removal of TCM from my channel lineup.

I absolutely agree. Seems like a backdoor to force us to buy the sports package. Really dislike this kind of marketing decision.

New Poster

TCM

my mom watches TCM all the time and now has to pay extra for it.  I think our bill is outrageous $270+  and now another $10 bucks.  wow comcast.  I can't beleive it. 

New Poster

Re: Comcast's removal of TCM from my channel lineup.

I am furious that comcast has dropped tcm from basic service. it will now cost me $10 a month to get tcm in the sports package which I don't want. As soon as my contract is up I will drop them like a hot potato. $244 a month they will lose for this fiasco.
Frequent Visitor

Lied to Again from Comcast: TCM

Just got off the phone with Comcast because they removed TCM from my tier. I was told just last month that TCM will remain in my Extended plan. This is now not the case.  I was told they removed TCM from ALL tiers and you need to spend $10 more for one channel I want and others I don't want. You cannot get the Standard plan and buy the S&E package either. You NEED to be in the higher tiers. Why is that? This is simple remapping of channels. This can be done easily. The infrastructure is already in place.

Comcast: how about you remove a channel I never watch and replace it with TCM? You never asked yet I know you have the abilility to do this. I will be cancelling my services.

Contributor

In case you can't tell TCM WATCHERS AREN'T BIG SPORTS FANS.

So Comcast's answer is just to lock customer threads instead of being helpful. When we start leaving in droves maybe they'll get it but by then we'll all be done with them.

I understand that Verizon offers TCM as do many other providers.

Apparently they think we're going away or that we're just going to pony up an extra $120 a year for ONE channel with a bunch of other garbage we don't watch.

We don't want your sports garbage, we want Turner Classic Movies.

Why not offer it with other movie channels? Many of us wouldn't mind that nearly as much. In case you can't tell TCM WATCHERS AREN'T BIG SPORTS FANS.

New Poster

TCM is going to cost $9 more a month?!? REVOLT!

This is extortion!  Everyone needs to write to Brian Roberts, the CEO of Comcast, to complain and to revolt!  ("Comcastcares" twitter would not give me his address or phone number with the excuse it was considered "Personal" information.  Assuming the CEO works out of the Comcast HQ, the address is:  PO Box 70219, Philadelphia, PA 19176.   According to the ceoemail.com website, his email is:  brian_roberts@comcast.com (weird, since my email ends in comcast.net...)   Comcastcares twitter also said that according to their research over 90% of comcast subscribers watch less than 2 movies a month which is why they moved TCM to the sports package (?!?).  When I challenged this, and asked for the stats, they said it was considered private.  Note that your current monthly fee will NOT be reduced to reflect the loss of TCM!  You, the Customer, are not receiving the services you signed up for!  

New Poster

Very upset customer TCM channel upgrade

This is so disappointing for Comcast to be able to just take away a channel!!!! When you sign an agreement on service and channels you expect for both parties to hold up they end of the deal. We are in a 2 year agreement with the channel line up we agreed upon and pay for! Comcast has broken their side of the agreement- this should mean the whole contract agreement is broken and that we should be charged LESS for the channel that is no longer available. Since they want to charge more for the channel. I don’t understand how this can be okay and this is what is wrong with these kinds of companies that can have little thin lines on contracts. After our agreement is believe we will no longer be a Comcast customer. This should be illegal for business to be able to break their commitments. Comcast you are doing bad business !!!
New Poster

We pay over 200.00 a month.
We watch TCM as much as we can. Fond memories watching older movies. I expect more from Comcast. We have been with comcast since 1972. Please understand our Feelings. Our Money doesn't Grow on Trees!!!
New Poster

I just noticed this evening that TCM was moved. TCM is a 'basic' service on almost every cable/satellite system I know of. I only watch maybe 10 different channels and TCM has always been my favorite.  I am very dissapointed in this move by Comcast. Hopefully they will change their minds and make the adjustment and put the chanel back.

Contributor

Re: TCM is going to cost $9 more a month?!? REVOLT!

Oh people are truly P.O'd about this & are raging to customer service, to TCM, & on every bit of social media for both.

Of course their answer is to lock every thread about it like we're going away.

Once we all bolt for another company maybe they'll get it but by then it will be too late.

Bet this thread & the second one I started will be locked in 3...2...1....

New Poster

TCM

You took away TCM without any warning. I signed a 2 year agreement that included TCM and you just take it away. How about I just pay less on my bill? Am I allowed to do that? NO. You are a repugannant compnay that makes so much money you have no idea what to do with it. You have unhealthy influence onver legislators so you can monopolize things and have ZERO consequences. So give me a refund since you violated my agreement or add TCM back to my package.

New Poster

TCM channel

I am so disgusted with comcast and the removal of TCM channel! We pay way too much for so few enjoyable channels worth watching anymore.  It is-was- one channel that had the best movies ever! We are not sports fans, nor do we have kids. ENOUGH of the gluttony for more money and less entertaining tv. When my "contract" ends, we will be looking at other tv alternatives.  That's another thing: all of a sudden we have to be locked into a 2 year contract with comcast! I've had Comcast from the beginning, and now these changes are getting out of hand! We have no control over our choices of programs,  but to spend more for less. Shame on you Comcast for thinking more about your wallet and not your customers!

New Poster

TCM

What were you thinking? If you're going to move TCM, why to a sports channel? Then charge additional fee! I know that with all the brain power at Comcast, you can move TCM and not charge $10. You should rethink this. In case you can't , I will start looking for other options.

Kaytee

Contributor

Serious question

Why are you locking all the threads about losing TCM? You're just making us angrier & it's not a good look for the company either.

Unlock the big thread & move all the others into it so people can vent & you can take a break.  I understand you don't want 50 redundant threads, but you should leave at least one thread so people can voice their opinions on this particular programming choice.

Also since there happens to be so many threads about it, it sorta proves that this may not have been a good move for the company.

So even if you choose to lock & move this one, could I at least get an honest answer?

Thread lock in 3...2...1....

Contributor

Re: TCM

Many of us are doing just that, looking into other options.

Also I'm sure as I type my response they'll be locking this thread too.

Regular Contributor

Why did you delete my TCM post?

I commented on the TCM travesty. Why was my post deleted?

.Net Programmer
New Poster

LOSS of TCM has created a Nightmare of over 2 hours on the phone!

I have been on the phone for over 2 hours just to get answers to my questions and a new package to include channels in a package I and Comcast contractually agreed to! I pay my bill for services they are suppose to provide😠
Now 2 hours later I have been transferred and transferred and lost and now on hold! WOW! And I have been a customer for over 20 years!

Thanks so much for the abuse that I pay for for!
New Poster

TCM

Really frustrating Comcast! I have really enjoyed watching TCM but I am NOT about to give you more money . I think you have finally made my decision for me to switch to dish
Expert

Re: Why did you delete my TCM post?

@Biff-Tannon wrote:

I commented on the TCM travesty. Why was my post deleted?

It wasn't deleted; it was merged with the mega-thread.  You can click on your name and find all of the posts that you have made.

Locking this.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Hey Again

I'm what's been called a loyal customer and I prefer to have my threads left unmerged.

Thank You!

.Net Programmer
Expert

Re: LOSS of TCM has created a Nightmare of over 2 hours on the phone!

@Asmith86 wrote:
I have been on the phone for over 2 hours just to get answers to my questions and a new package to include channels in a package I and Comcast contractually agreed to! I pay my bill for services they are suppose to provide😠
Now 2 hours later I have been transferred and transferred and lost and now on hold! WOW! And I have been a customer for over 20 years!

Thanks so much for the abuse that I pay for for!

my guess is that turner wants to support the sports channels. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Hey Again

Yeah that's such fun. Then they lock anything that even vaguely mentions their stupid TCM move.

Regular Contributor

Is there another forum to discuss this TCM thing?

Is there another form somewhere where you can discuss this without having your thread merged or locked?

.Net Programmer
Contributor

So you're not gonna answer my question?

You're just going to merge everyting into ONE LOCKED TCM THREAD & then LOCK EVERY THREAD ABOUT TCM.

Why can't we discuss the programming choices here? Isn't that the entire point of this place?

My guess is you think you've already answered the question so you're not letting anyone voice their opinions. Since this is your board you run it however the heck you want to run it.

So merged then locked in 3...2...1....

Guess this is just another thing I'll add to my convo with the local NBC consumer reporter that actually called & emailed me back.
New Poster

TCM teir move

Comcast...this is the most stupid chnage to date.  Old movies going to sports tier.  Whats the connection other than money.

I don't care for sportrs channels or home shopping channels. 

For a monoploy service you lost your original purpose.

Give the customer what they want.. 

Contributor

Re: Is there another forum to discuss this TCM thing?

Seriously. Apparently they feel they've already answered this question so just screw the customers.

New Poster

TCM

Why did you remove TCM?!

I pay for MLB and don't mind paying for that because I feel I can watch any baseball game when I want.   I am not excited about paying for sports channels in order to watch TCM.
I pay over $200 for Comcast channels and basically watch 5 main channels and TCM is one of them.   This extra cost per month would give me even less value per dollar spent.   
I don't want DISH, I don't want HULU and all those extra sources.   I have been a Comcast customer forever because I live outside a Major market and I have to pay for it if I want to watch the news.   If I could go back to watching only 4 channels like I did 50 years ago... I would.   That's basically what I'm paying for now.

Contributor

TCM has a message board:

http://forums.tcm.com/?ecid=mainnav4community#

Maybe there?

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the link!

.Net Programmer
Frequent Visitor

"Just screw the customers" appears to be Comcast's motto.  First Cinemax, now TCM, when we are already paying way too much for the service.  In Connecticut, every region has a regional cable council that oversees cable providers.  I'm going to be recommending that Comcast be stripped of their franchise and another provider selected.  I urge everyone else who finds this behavior outrageous to do likewise.

Contributor

Regular Contributor

Pete,

Same thing happeened to the military channel a few years ago.

.Net Programmer
Frequent Visitor

Re: TCM teir move

It's 100% about fleecing Comcast customers out of as much money as possible.  It is dishonest (of COURSE this has nothing to do with sports!), disingenuous and outrageous.  Don't stop with calling Customer Service.  Call your state regulators and report this as an outrageous violation of the public trust (dishonestly folding a classic movie channel in with sports programming so they can charge you for a ton of channels you don't want).  If your area has a cable advisory council, contact them too.  Between this move and what they did with Cinemax, we will be petitioning to have Comcast's franchise revoked in our area and to have the franchise rebid.

New Poster

Comcast self-destruction over TCM?

Comcast has made a fatal error like the new coke years ago with their decision to shaft their long-time customers by removing TCM from the more expensive plans and essentially adding it to an unwanted package for another $10.  Intuit did the same thing  with Turbo tax and sent millions of customers to HRBlock.  This will make just another Harvard Business School case study on how some bushy tailed young MBA at Comcast managed to kill the goose that lays golden eggs.  Can't wait to read it.  RIP Comcast cable TV.  Your subscriptions are shrinking already.  You just threw gas on the fire and shifted the exodus into overdrive.

New Poster

Why is Comcast <Edited> (re: Turner Classic Movies)

I have lived in Texas for over forty years. Where Comcast was available, we subscribed to it (<Edoted>.) Usually we didn't have a choice. Now we do. When our house burned down and forced us into temporary housing, we tried out AT&T for ten months and didn't like it any better than Comcast. In some ways, AT&T was worse. Its line-up was jammed full of infomercials instead of actual entertainment.

So we returned to Comcast (cable only, <Edited>.) We picked the bundle based on the availability of our favorite channel: Turner Classic Movies. TCM has always been the first channel I check when turning on the TV and the last channel I check before going to bed (which sometimes kept me up very late when a good movie was showing.)

This week, I turned it on to find I no longer have TCM. The channel I'd been paying for was gone (although of course I was still paying Comcast's <Edited>.)  TCM is one of the few channels with genuinely good entertainment. And now it's only available in a sports package? Are you <Edited> kidding me?

I don't want your <Edited> sports package. I don't watch the sports channels I currently have. I have zero interest in them. You're already making me pay a fee for "local" sports channels and I don't watch those either! Now you want to make me pay an additional ten dollars every month just so I can get TCM back? <Edited>

<Edited>

I'm going over now to check and see if AT&T has a better deal that will provide me with TCM. I don't like AT&T (<Edited>) but I may be willing  to return to AT&T Cable just to get away from you <Edited>

<Edited>

I like old movies and I'm going to find a way to keep watching them, even if it means dumping Comcast <Edited>

<Edited>

To paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara, I'm so angry and disgusted, I can't think of anything bad enough to call you.

New Poster

TCM

I am beyond mad that this was taken from the line up.   But, why cannot I not see what the complete channelline up is for the upgrade?  Is it like Obamacare, I need to buy it to find out what is in it?  

New Poster

TCM Moved to Sports Package

I’m am so upset about this outrageous move by Comcast. They can change my contract package and charge more to get what I had included before. But I don’t get a refund for losing TCM. I cannot cancel until my contract is up, but I will be leaving Comcast ASAP. This is nothing more than a scam to get more money out of the older generation that enjoy watching classics. The best way to express our disappointment is to leave this cable company and go elsewhere. Hope many people do this. I know I am done with Comcast and their ripoff polices.
New Poster

TCM

Gotta say some interesting moves on this one Comcast. Agents read the script and everything else gets locked down with no response. First Cinemax over the summer, TCM today, and my understanding is Starz is gonna do the same thing soon. Plus I'm in Colorado so I'm stuck without a way to watch half the pro sports. What are you going to do besides ignore us as customers Comcast?
New Poster

Moving TCM off Extended Basic

I was just beginning to think that Comcast had gotten the message: treating customers like dirt is bad business.

I was wrong.

Comcast, pulling TCM off Extended Basic was a bad idea, and your "explanations" don't make sense.  If no one watches it, why are there HUNDREDS of forum posts on the issue just over the last few days?

It sure looks like just another money grab.

Bill

Regular Visitor

WHY IS TMC BEING GROUPED IN WITH A SPORTS CHANEL??? THIS IS NOT GOOD !!!

W have been watching TCM for as long as its been on TV. We were shocked to see this pm that it is no longer available on our existing plan.  NOW WE HAVE TO GET A SPORTS PACKAGE???

NOT HAPPENING!!! I will continue to complain and call TCM as well.  What is wrong with COMCAST? THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!

INA SUE

New Poster

tcm

what happened to tcm??