Community Forum

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

Regular Visitor

Re: WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

The answer to the question as to why they put the popular channel  TCM in a sports package is they want to reach deeper into our pockets to buy something we don't want to be able to watch what we have paid for, in my case 32years. Yet if you ask for the triple play special of $159.99 for 2 years and a $100 visa card they will say you can't change your contract. These greedy thieves have it both ways. I suggest everyone call them at least 3 times a day for at least a month to complain. 

Regular Visitor

People! Call and keep calling! Flood the service lines! My wife called and the rep laughed!
New Poster

Re: TCM

I agree, I never received anything , Comcast is horrible and this is the dumbest move they have made to date.  Way to go Concash

New Poster

Re: THOUSANDS WANT TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE CHANNEL LEFT ALONE AND NOT SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE

Haha. I was told it a sports and ENTERTAINMENT package. I think she said there was two movie channels included. Haha. And one was probably TCM. So sad.
New Poster

I AM FURIOUS!!!!! They remove TCM which is the ONLY REASON I got Comcast, and to get some cable news (FOX mainly) and NOW I HAVE TO PAY MORE FOR JUNK!!!!!!  I NEVER WATCH SPORTS.   Xfinity says only a FEW people watch TCM so it has to be EXTRA.   WHY NOT PUT IT INTO A MOVIE BUNDLE----STUPID move COMCAST INFINITY. 

New Poster

Re: TCM Being Placed in Extra Cost Tier

This is truly sad! It's just one more reason to cut the cable and use other streaming services and/or go back to reading books. We looked forward to Saturday mornings with the old serials. Obviously we older customers on fixed incomes don't mean enough to Comcast. NO SHAME! NO LOYALTY!

New Poster

What really ticks me off is I had no idea that they were doing this. I have spoken with 2 different techs today who seemed to be just baffled as to why I couldn't get TCM AND they're sending out a tech on Saturday. Neither of them ever mentioned TCM being moved. I'm am beyond livid.
Frequent Visitor

Re: THOUSANDS WANT TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE CHANNEL LEFT ALONE AND NOT SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE

Loosing TCM give me one more reason to disconnect and go to free tv. I believe I’ll have more channels. The only reason to have cable is the SIFI, Hist and Dis. TCM is a great lose to me.

New Poster

YES I agree with you.    TCM, Fox News, Discovery, History Channel and that is it.  I would like SCIENCE channel too but that costs over $30 more!!

TCM is the reason why I have Comcast/Xfinity......my tenant/roomate is a retired vet and he watches TCM all the time, and I do sometimes.    

I am already paying $120 per month.    Perhaps Verizon is cheaper.....  

@Thomasharris202 wrote:

Loosing TCM give me one more reason to disconnect and go to free tv. I believe I’ll have more channels. The only reason to have cable is the SIFI, Hist and Dis. TCM is a great lose to me.

New Poster

Simply no logic in moving TCM to a sports package except to collect extra bucks. I will drop Comcast if TCM is not returned. More money fewer channels.
New Poster

TCM

So you’ve moved a non-premium channel (TCM) to a higher tier!  Why?  I am retired and on a fixed income and a senior citizen, which let’s face it, is the majority of those interested in this channel, and u put it in with the sports tier just to make even more money!  This can be considered ageism!  Shame on YOU!

New Poster

I've been a very satisfied COMCAST customer since 1984 and I've always appreciated COMCAST customer service. I must say however losing TCM today took me quite by surprise! I missed the notification that I would lose my favourite cable channel. I am very sad. I do not care for sports so there will be no sports package at this residence. Have you thought about offering TCM with a BRITBOX package? That would be absolutely fabulous! Well worth the added fee. Please give another option aside from the sports package which is a no go for many of us.
I should hate to leave my wonderful COMCAST!
Thank you ever so.
New Poster

We get a whole bunch of garbage stations we never watch like sports and foreign language stations because we have a "package".  Many years ago comcast did away with local 24 hour weather radar that I looked at daily..  Then they moved other stations we watch into "packages'.  Now they're putting a station we watch all the time (TCM) into a "sports" package?  i watch the Olympics every 4 years and the Army-Navy game every year..  Everyone else in sports is overpaid.  Who wants to watch that?

Comcast - go screw yourselves.  I've been a customer for a very long time, but I'm looking around.  Next time you hear from me it'll be to cancel phone, TV,. and internet..

Have a nice day.

New Poster

Disapointing.  It probably is a niche channel, but large enough for them to move to a fledgling sports package to defray costs.  Probably is time to cut the cord.  ~$200/mo would more than cover viewing in other streaming packages.  Probably the push out of the nest my wife and I needed

Regular Visitor

Like everything else with Comcast I found a hidden way to contact them direclty. On your account page go to Contact Us. At the bottom you will see a picture of probably not a real person Tom Karinstak who is some big wig in Customer Service. You see a link that says Read Tom's Letter, when you access that another link near the bottom of the letter says contact me. That will get you to a feedback form that supposedly goes to his team. I submitted my thoughts about TCM-gate and got an email response that assured me someone from Tom's team will contact me within 24hrs. I suggest everyone give it a try and flood him with complaints. I am sure it will be some kind of auto generated form response with the same blah blah blah in the Comcast Employee forum posts which are computer generated but figured it was worth a try. 

Regular Visitor

I am tired of this nonsense and greed. I only watch TCM, not sports. They just lost a 30 year customer. If I can get TCM on streaming I will. Comcast you will be getting my boxes back soon. Thanks for screwing your loyal customers.
New Poster

Agree! 100 0/0

Tcm and Sports package? Who wants the sports package!! Not me!

Greed greed greed
Contributor

We're just talking to each other on this forum. So, consider taking your comlaints to your local media or creating a video that you could post. It might go viral. November is a TV ratings month, and a local TV station might find this to be newsworthy.

Plus, Comcast is regulated in each state, and the name and address of the state regulator is buried in the fine print on your bill. Write to them with your complaints; it might not change anything, but it might make you feel better and if they get enough complaints, they might ask enough questions of Comcast to put them on the spot.

New Poster

COMCAST hates their customers.

Contributor

Apparently posts get deleted if you even abbreviate a curse so I'm reposting this without the abbreviations or any real curses.

WHAT THE HECK COMCAST?!?!

I literally just found this out by TRYING TO TURN ON TCM!

So let me get this straight, I now have to pay for MORE sports channels to add to the current sports channels THAT I NEVER WATCH, so I can get a ONECHANNEL THAT I WATCH DAILY FOR HOURS.

VERIZON HERE I COME!! Chatting with them right now as I repost.

New Poster

Why were we given no notice of this change? We are a homeowners association with more that 500 members.  What are you thinking?

New Poster

Huge mistake to take away TCM, I dont thing your analytics are correct, half of the channels you offer are in other languages or have things tht repeat same programming over and over. TCM ws the reason we stayed with this comcast package. We have the sreaming tv and will most likely go with that for everything now. The price keeps going up but the selection of tv has been terible. We live in an area of a lot of snowbirds and retiress and they all watch that channel. Ive has comcast for 37 years here so it wil be an adjustment but this is forced at this point. Sure cant pay more than we are now!

Frequent Visitor

I just got my rear chew out by my wife, why did they remove TCM from my pakage

and move it to a paid service which I don't watch and don't want.

New Poster

I couldn't agree more!!! I'm sure it's a way to get people to pay more. Shame on you, COMCAST! I've been a faithful subscriber for a long time. TCM is one of my favorite channels. I get enough sports channels. I doubt the viewers married to the Sports pkg are watching TCM!! For goodness sakes...STOP the madness and give us back what we signed up for and have been paying for. STOP making AUTOCRATIC decisions at the expense of your viewers. I have never considered using another cable/internet provider...but I am now.  

@mbg71 wrote:

I just received a notice from Comcast that they are removing TCM, Turner Classic Movies, from all current packages and moving it to the SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE?    What possible logic is there to that brilliant change?  TCM is widely viewed by many Comcast subscribers on their regular packages--NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE!  I URGE COMCAST TO LEAVE TCM WHERE IT IS.  I am seriously considering cancelling my Comcast subscription over this.  <Edited>  Get real Comcast and leave TCM alone.  Seriously!

Regular Visitor

The bottom line here is that for any subscriber who wants to keep Turner Classic Movies, someone has just reached out and taken a bit over $120 out of your pocket, to be collected over the course of a year. You'll get nothing in return that you didn't have already except for a sports package that you probably didn't want to begin withbut that does allow it to be asserted that you did in fact get something, and did in fact want it or you wouldn't have ordered it.   Complain all you want, but your only real alternative is to forget about the thing you want to keep. 

Somebody mentioned the FCC.   Forget about that, too.  The pitch  for regulatory rollback was that competition would result in better things at lower priceswhich of course was only another story.  Besides, when you order the Sports and Entertainment package to keep your TMC, the government gets a cut of the take that comes to something just under $1 per month per person.  There are additional fees and taxes associated with this package. 

How many subscribers nation-wide want TCM?   As of 2003, TCM reached 63 million homes.  Let's estimate 1 million subscribers nationwide are TCM fans who want to keep it.  Do the arithmetic.  This minor rearrangement could pull in around $120,000,000 per year, with minimal related costs over what the company was already paying.   Somebody may get a bonus.   For my $120, I have gotten an elevated level of cynicism.  

New Poster

Comcast's decision to remove TCM from the Basic channel line-up is outrageous and unacceptable.  TCM is one of the very few worthwhile channels in the entire line-up.  I would gladly relinquish 85% of the channels included to have TCM back -- because 85% of the channels offered are worthless.  Hallmark?  Please.  The decision to remove TCM is a money-grubbing connivance.  I will consider options that will allow me to dump Comcast.  I certainly will never consider getting internet from the company, and I will dissuade people from using the company.  Bad decision.  Restore TCM. 

Regular Visitor

I paying through the nose for Comcast now and they are going make me pay more for TMC,  one of my favorite channels!  Wrong! There is precious little on the way it is. This will be the last straw in a series of this kind of shenanigans.  This has nothing to do with the Sports!

Contributor

Just emailed the consumer reporters for NBC4 & WUSA9 in DC.

They may ignore me, they may not, I hope they don't. If nothing else maybe they'll get a better answer than that garbage "90%" answer.

Yes, I know NBC is part of the huge conglomerate that owns this place & is part of the problem, but still, I had to do it.

[QUOTE]This minor rearrangement could pull in around $120,000,000 per year, with minimal related costs over what the company was already paying. [/QUOTE]

This only happens if we all stay & pay. Some of us will, many of us won't.  Granted, it's probably a drop in the bucket for the execs, even if every single TCM fan bailed on Comcast, but it would send a message.

Would anyone mind this if it were bundled with other movie channels? I'd find that a tiny bit more appealing. But screw sports. I don't need more channels I don't watch.

Contributor

@Marcus3344 wrote:

We're just talking to each other on this forum. So, consider taking your comlaints to your local media or creating a video that you could post. It might go viral. November is a TV ratings month, and a local TV station might find this to be newsworthy.

Plus, Comcast is regulated in each state, and the name and address of the state regulator is buried in the fine print on your bill. Write to them with your complaints; it might not change anything, but it might make you feel better and if they get enough complaints, they might ask enough questions of Comcast to put them on the spot.

I'm glad to see so many posts on this thread since TCM actually disappeared today.

However, it seems that the Comcast phone representatives are either completely clueless or continuing their phony claims of concern and appreciation in addition to the "doublespeak" excuses, which change daily.  I can identify with many of the comments I've read.  In my previous post, I forgot to mention that, when I called CS, I lied to the automated system just so I could talk to a person.  I told the rep. that I lied too!  It's a shame I have to resort to things like that since the rep. often can't solve my problem -- she transferred me to the "Customer Loyalty" dept.  What a joke.  Comcast has done NOTHING to earn my loyalty.

Judging from previous incidents like this with other channels, Comcast is going to do whatever it wants and try to increase its profits, regardless of how many comments we post.  They just don't give a rat's --ss what customers think, as long as the bill gets paid.  But we can still make our feelings known.  Write to your state regulator or the FCC.  Calling CS just wastes your own time going through menus, but maybe, if enough people write directly to Customer Service, their server will crash! Smiley Wink  A Comcast executive with no computer access would be a lovely sight, but I have little hope that even a boycott would make them change their minds.  Rather than admit they are wrong, they will keep channels arranged in ridiculously, high-priced packages even if it means going out of business . . . . . . . and it might.  Time to go.

New Poster

Comcast’s action in moving TCM to a sports tier is totally unacceptable. It has been continuously available for as long as we’ve had our subscription – nearly twenty years. Our condominium association has been considering eliminating cable and I will now support that move.
New Poster

Not happy about this here. The only reason we buy the expensive tier we do is for TCM and SCI. If we lose one of those, it lessens the reason to buy the expensive tier. Hence, we can drop to a lower tier of Comcast service. They are shooting themselves in the foot with us, plus burning good will.

New Poster

Thats just it,  THEY do know who watches TCM.  That is why they now "packaged" it in with the Sports Pkg.........and don't forget the Military History channels are there too!!!  $$$$$$$$$$  That is the only reason

Frequent Visitor

Show me the data!

Frequent Visitor

Hmm...offering to  remove Hitz but not offering to put TCM back! big deal. Not.

Regular Visitor

Re: TCM & Cable bills & $28 billion

Consumer Reports finds that nearly 1/4 of your cable bill is a bunch of baloney fees and add-ons. Cable industry makes $28 billion a year on this. They make as much as $450 per yr per customer from these fees. Does anybody regulate these firms? These fees have gone up 600% in five years, says CR. Thank you Consumer Reports, too bad Congress, FCC, NOBODY(?) is looking out for consumers. 

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zmjqa5/24-of-your-cable-tv-bill-is-just-bogus-fees-study-says

New Poster

Guess this makes up my mind to cancel cable and so are my parents.
Most Valued Poster

I have had Comcast since 1996 with TCM always included. Today the channel was blocked. I called Comcast and just like everyone else was told that TCM decided they wanted to raise their rates and to be on the Sport and Entertainment Package at $10. None of the other channels that are part of that package I would watch, so would be spending $120/year extra just for TCM which is crazy as it was always part of the regular plans. I am not happy about this one bit! Bad move by TCM and Comcast!

If it were up to me, TCM should have shown some backbone and stood-up to Comcast and said that if Comcast doesn't want TCM in their regular plans, that have it as $5 a-la-carte, or TCM would drop Comcast as a carrier. I bet if TCM would of done this, then they would still be included in the plans.

New Poster

Probably 75% of the regular viewers of TCM are over 45, and a big prcentage of those are retired and on fixed incomes (honestly - how may Gen X and Millenials  watch films from the 40's, 50's and 60's??) So you are penalizing a large group who have limited resources and you want them to fork over for a premium package including sports and 'entertainment'.  Those channels aren't compatible with the main demographic for TCM.  

Just a really stoooopid decision IMO.  Either greedy,  or stupid, or both.

New Poster

Since we don’t get paper we didn’t get the notice that TCM is being removed from the channel option.  Time to move away from cable.  Amen.

New Poster

I have the Sports Package. I get every channel having to do with sports and it has nothing to do with this gambit. One of the channels I get is the NFL NETWORK, which has the Sunday Game Day, which shows me the highlights of every game being played.

This 'new' so called Sports and Entertainment Package has that same feature but they call it by a new name. I lost TCM yesterday, and if I sign up for this extortion, I will be paying TWICE for the same service! Oh, they also have the OUTDOORS channel,  CMT and a few other ones, but calling them ENTERTAINMENT is spreading it pretty thin. 

Hmm...doesn't ATT now own TCM..?

Frequent Visitor

I too am considering leaving Comcast. Are they trying to get more people to leave? As it is, hundreds of people leave them monthly. COMCAST PUT BACK TCM CHANNEL!!!!!!!!

Frequent Visitor

Really??? Great customer service??? Try talking to someone in their call center in India for an hour who doesn't understand what you are trying to say!

New Poster

Same thing happened to me. The tech informed me that nobody in their department was aware until callers brought up the TCM issue.   As well, did you know that if you take the phone survey following your call and give the rep the highest ratings but leave a non-complimentary comment indicating dissatisfaction with the company at large the employee will hear about  having not fullfilled their duty to create a happy customer?  Who knows!  The whole company seems to be conjurers playing with smoke and mirrors. Abracadabra, now you see it, now you don't.

Frequent Visitor

Viewership of TCM IS NOT LOW!!!  Not good that you are lying about it too!

Frequent Visitor

Re: TCM BEING SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER

I am urging everyone I know that is a customer to bombard the company with complaints. start calling to headquartes, also call TCM directly.

Regular Contributor

I am livid about this.  LIVID. Make sure and tweet to comcast and tcm. raise heck on this.

New Poster

I came home an hour ago, excited to watch a Halloween horror movie marathon until dawn, and what do I find?

Thanks Comcast/Xfinity for depriving me of the one channel I would watch every single day. 

Well done. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Turner Classic Movies

One more reason I can't wait for our 2 year greement to end so I can drop Comcast.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Turner Classic Movies

I haven't seen this many coments since a few months ago when Comcast got rid of the Weatherscan channel 101, and they never added it back. I highly doubt that no matter how many of us complain, Comcast will keep TCM on the S&E Package to force an extra $10 from those willing to pay it. Maybe they think, TCM Viewers are 'older' and 'have money' since they can pay for the TCM Backlot membership (I don't) and can spend thousands to go on the TCM Classic Cruises (I've thoght about it, but would cost $5000-6000 for 2). I've watched TCM since I was in teen-ager, and now in my late 30s still watch it.

Regular Visitor

I'm seriously thinking of ditching Comcast altogether over this - which will mean no TV at all, unless I go to satellite.  But it might be for the best.  Ironic - I'm one of the baby boomer generation that grew up on TV and help make it what it's become - going back to the days of my dad, sitting in the backyard listening to baseball over the radio.  I would keep the computer connection - but $171/month for less and less shows me that Comcast gives not a rat's rear for what we feel, like all monopolies.  They know they have us where they want us and they can ride their regal carriage over our toes, knowing they're fully protected by law for insult and injury.  I was bald-faced lied to by an Xfinity Walmart rep who told me that there was a "customer loyalty desk" that could help me reduce my monthly bill considering the thirty years I've been a subscriber.  HA!  I assure you that desk is vacant.  There is no company loyalty.