Community Forum

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM Question Redux

Have to ask again why TCM was moved to a sports package? Since all the other forum topics re: this category appear to be locked it has to be asked again.

I have no interest in any additional sports options but want to watch TCM

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: TCM Question Redux

Discontinuing TCM without notice is an outrage and the additional charge is unethical and dishonest. Everyone is talking about it in neighborhood associations , churches , clubs , civic asoociations , and newspapers etc.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: TCM Question Redux

Because TCM shows a lot of sports movies like Raging Bull, Field of Dreams, The Natural, Slap Shot, Chariots of Fire, The Pride of the Yankees,  Rocky, Knute Rocne, All American, Father Was a Fullback, Jim Thorpe-All-American, Brian's Songs, Semi-Touch, All the Right Moves, The Bob Mathias Story, Angels in the Outfield, etc.  The list is endless.  About 80% of the movies TCM shows are sports related.  I was waiting for Xfinity to move TCM to the sports package.  Finally.  Now I can unsubscribe from all the streaming sports services I do and get all my sports-viewing needs from Xfinity. 

But really.  Sure, they can put TCM in its own package but you will still have to pay 9.99 for it because that's what they think TCM viewers are willing to pay.  So to make the deal more attractive, they stuck it in a package with some sports channels.  For those who like sports, it's a plus; for those who don't, oh well.  Is TCM worth $9.99 a month extra to you?  It is to me and I paid it. 

I don't know why people are so hung-up with the name of the package. It's Sports & Entertainment package, not Sports package.  It could be called Entertainment & Sports package, would that make people happier?  I don't care if the package they moved it to had kiddie animation channels in it.  That's beside the point. Call it the TCM package. They want 9.99 for it whether you watch sports or don't.  It's like people think if they point out the illogic of moving it to a package with sports channels, Xfinity will come to their senses and move it back?  Not gonna happen for that reason.  If they lose enough customers over this, maybe, or a price decrease.

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

Comcast has moved TCM to get more money. Will be moving to another provided that does not constantly change their lineups simply out of greed
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

TCM

I subscribed to this forum for any entries regarding TCM being moved to a sports package. I was just notified of an entry titled "tcm to be put back in digital prefferd package", but when I click on it, access is denied. Does anyone know if this is true? I bought the sports package just to keep TCM, and will start calling Comcast like crazy if it is Thanks

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

I'm looking at cutting the cord after they dropped TCM. I would guess that most people who watch TCM are not sports fans, so this was a cruel corporate move.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Comcast perpetrates fraud

You perpetrated fraud when you changed my channel line up while in contract with you.   I will be contacting a lawyer. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Why do you lock out every TCM thread?

I get Kudos from TCM threads that are locked out. How does that happen. And why does every thread that mentions TCM get locked out.?

less 4 more

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

Since when is TCM a sports channel? I don’t watch sports so there is no way I’m going to buy that package. Rest assured that when my contract is up I’ll be switching ALL my services. Nothing but a greedy company. I’ve had it.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TCM

Agreed

Highlighted
New Poster

100% agree.  With thousands of garbage, low use channels, they decide to move this into an additional $10/mo sports package for even their Premier subscribers because it is low use.  Hardly.  Stupid cynical move to raise revenue that won't work with me.  Will be reducing my subscription and then moving.

Highlighted
New Poster

Not Paying more money to Comcast Re TCM

1. This household does not like sports!  Already mad we are forced to pay the sports fee.  Why would I pay more money for it just to get TCM, which was in a channel tier that was above what I could afford, but was willing to pay to enjoy the TCM channel.  Apparently Comcast has forgotten about people on fixed incomes.  Well now all Comcast has done is forced older Americans to move with the younger generation and drop them and move onto other affordable services that are a la carte, that way I can get what I pay for within my budget.  I have also read they are going to drop Starz/Encore next.  So maybe this was the kick in the butt people need to stop the monopolization of these big corporations and being forced to pay more money for services they don't want. Thank you Comcast for making this American see the light!  
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Not Paying more money to Comcast Re TCM

We are all already paying too much money for ever declining programming that is enjoyable.  TCM is one of the few channels my husband and I watch.  The other channels are Starz/encore.  We have been long time customers of Comcast, at one point even having three accounts.  That certainly will be coming to an end if the greed continues.  My bill now is almost $250/month to watch sitcoms from my childhood or local news.  Many older adults enjoy watching the movies on TCM and Comcast is again gouging people on limited incomes.  TCM should be put back where it was immediately!

Highlighted
New Poster

Turner Classic Movies

Return TCM to its original package! Who made this decision? Guess how many people who watch TCM also want to watch obscure sports? Or shows about the military. Somebody really made a mistake here. I'm writing to the FCC.

Highlighted
New Poster

programing

why bundle TCM with a sports package???  Charge a $9.95 fee???  How stupid is this???

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

Seriously going to cut the cable over the dumbest move of moving TCM to a SPORTS package. Really? Just ANOTHER way to squeeze more $$$ out of their customers. I REFUSE.
Highlighted
New Poster

My husband watches that Chanel all the time, he is 85 with end of life health and he found that to be his favorite channel.  We don't need or want a sports package, but it suddenly disappeared from our package.  It makes me very angry and after being with Comcast for 26 years we may just switch.  At this age every cent counts, shame on Xfinity!

Highlighted
New Poster

Dropping TCM? I think I will now drop YOU!

Well, you guys have done it again! An adroit move if ever I saw one. I watch six channels out of the hundreds you provide to my home. You have just reduced it to five. I signed a two year contract and had I known you were going make this decision, my decision would have been to go in another direction. If you can pull programs at will from the line up I contracted to - then what is next? What else will you yank from my lineup? It is a one way street with you guys. I don't believe your stated reasons for the switch. It is just another example of greed. I can assure you that as soon as I am able I shall be "cutting the cord, or cable, as it were. I don't appreciate being treated in this manner. Your industry is changing dramatically and there are many other options out there and maybe some of those know how to treat their customers more respectfully. 

Highlighted
New Poster

losing channels

I am very angry with comcast. They took away TCM. I called Sunday and Monday. Monday because changes did not take. I asked to add TCM. That costs an additional 9.95 per month then I asked if you could lower my bill so I wouldn't have to play the game and cancel service and you give me a better offer. I save a big 12 dollars per month. I told the representative I did not want to lose any channels. On Wednesday I see ID is gone. I call and am told I cant get it back because I lost it when I made the change. On Sunday I called to add channels not to take more away. Why can I not go back to previous price plus the 9.95. ie give you back your 12 and another 9.95 per month and get my channels back. At the end of each call I am thanked for being a customer for years. My reward for being a customer for 24 years is to take away my channels. 

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: losing channels

@stevensj812 wrote:

I am very angry with comcast. They took away TCM. I called Sunday and Monday. Monday because changes did not take. I asked to add TCM. That costs an additional 9.95 per month then I asked if you could lower my bill so I wouldn't have to play the game and cancel service and you give me a better offer. I save a big 12 dollars per month. I told the representative I did not want to lose any channels. On Wednesday I see ID is gone. I call and am told I cant get it back because I lost it when I made the change. On Sunday I called to add channels not to take more away. Why can I not go back to previous price plus the 9.95. ie give you back your 12 and another 9.95 per month and get my channels back. At the end of each call I am thanked for being a customer for years. My reward for being a customer for 24 years is to take away my channels. 

I understand if we are paying for STARZ, it is going to be dropped also.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/starz-changes?CMP=KNC-43700049088819429-GOOGLE-391331815166...

I suspect more changes are coming with "+" products like Apple TV+.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Tcm Removal

I have a CONTRACT with Comcast. If you change the terms of the agreement during that term should I not be able to renegotiate the terms of the agreement. E.g. change the amount I pay for the service each month? If not then I don't have a contract?  Please credit my account with the $9.95 that you want me pay for a channel I already paid for under the terms of my contract.! I am sure you will agree that if ai decided to pay 50% of my contract amount you would claim I broke my contract. What is the didderence? Can you show me where in my contract it says you can drop channels at any time? Thanks

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Tcm Removal

Quote: 

"Can you show me where in my contract it says you can drop channels at any time?"

Well.... if you look at https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement :

"CHANGES TO SERVICES
Subject to applicable law, we have the right to change our Service(s), Xfinity Equipment, rates and charges, at any time with or without notice to you. We also may rearrange, delete, add to, or otherwise change programming or features or offerings contained in the Service(s), including, but not limited to, content, functionality, hours of availability, equipment requirements, speed, and upstream and downstream rate limitations. We may deliver any notice concerning changes to the Service(s) and our relationship with you, including notice of any change to this Agreement, in any one or more of the following ways, as determined in our sole discretion: (1) by posting it on www.xfinity.com or any other website about which you have been notified; (2) by mail or hand delivery to your Premises; (3) by e-mail to the e-mail address for your account in our records; or (4) by including the information on or with your bill for Service(s). You agree that any one of the foregoing will constitute sufficient and effective notice under this Agreement. Because we may from time to time notify you about important information regarding the Service(s) and this Agreement by these methods, you agree it is your responsibility to regularly check your postal mail, e-mail, service texts, and all postings at www.xfinity.com or any other website about which you have been notified. If any material change negatively affects your Service(s), you have the right to cancel your Service(s). Your continued receipt of the Service(s) for more than 30 days after the change, however, will constitute your acceptance of the change.
"

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: tcm

No use talking to Customer Service or writing to VP of programing because you will get a Form answer or form letter explaining why it is important to them to move the TCM to a Sports Channel line up for an additional Approx 10 buck. I tried both and commersierated on the TCM facebook with other outraged non Senior and Senior members. In a way this is age discrimination. We get the cartoons but not the sophisticated programing such as TCM. There is no other channel like TCM. It should always be a standard on programing along with PBS and the 4 networks. 

You choice is to pay up, or move on. Move on to Direct/ATnT and for one TV through Costco it will cost approx  64 to 70 bucks and you get TCM on first Tier. Dish has it on thier 2nd tier (more programing) for 3 TV's they quoted $94. You Tube using Roku or Apple has TCM for 49.50 per month. I'm not sure about all the other programers such as Cox, or Spectrum. It's ok to move on.  I'm looking to going back to Dish. I had them for 20 something years and then tried Comcast for the last almost 2. 

Good luck!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

TCM moved to sports for extra

Comcast has apparently went totally crazy. Moving TCM to sports pachage with worthless claim that TCM is rarely viewed, less that two movies a month. All independent polling shows TCM ONE of most viewed channel on cable systems, charter, Comcast, Direct etc. <Edited> I called and they said it was TCM that was changing it. Speaking with a TCM executive, they said otherwise and I believe them. The sports premium channel is failing so they are using TCM  to support <Edited> sports. 
They are losing customers, many in my area, that are reducing their subscriptions to bare minimum, which i am now in process of doing. After the run around by Comcast and fact checking, <Edited>

if you haven't notice, much of Comcast recent ads are pushing sports P, so they are punishing the vast majority of viewers for poor business decisions!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: TCM moved to sports for extra

@Tribilogy1 wrote:

Comcast has apparently went totally crazy. Moving TCM to sports pachage with worthless claim that TCM is rarely viewed, less that two movies a month. All independent polling shows TCM ONE of most viewed channel on cable systems, charter, Comcast, Direct etc. the Comcast stance is baloney! I called and they said it was TCM that was changing it. Speaking with a TCM executive, they said otherwise and I believe them. The sports premium channel is failing so they are using TCM  to support stupid sports. 
They are losing customers, many in my area, that are reducing their subscriptions to bare minimum, which i am now in process of doing. After the run around by Comcast and fact checking, they are just using TCM to save another premium grouping that is failing.

if you haven't notice, much of Comcast recent ads are pushing sports P, so they are punishing the vast majority of viewers for poor business decisions!

I agree with you.  I recently called and got the same stupid answer.  Also, Starz is going to be dropped from Xfinity.  I was told it's because Starz and Xfinity couldn't work out an agreeable contract.  So, I will be dropping Xfinity and asking for a refund for dropping Starz.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Tcm Removal

Have to agree. I look at TCM every night. It was part of the package sold to me. Bring it back, please!

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

I have had several cable providers over the years.....seems most people can find something to complain about with their providers......but, this is the first time I am angry enough to write ....Moving TCM to a <Edited> SPORTS package to force customers to purchase <Edited> they don't want is obscene <Edited>.

<Edited>. Needless to say, when my term expires I will be looking to alternatives to Comcast...<Edited>

<Edited>

Highlighted
New Poster

channel

If TCM is not returned soon, I will be dropping Xfinity service and changing to DirectTv

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: tcm

putting tcm in this ridiculous sports package demonstrates why cable needs regulating.  all the dross channels i get that i never watch and comcast moves tcm, one of the 15 channels i watch, into a 100 rubbish sports package bundle.  what are they thinking!!!  i want to pick and choose!  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

TCM

Removed by me for violating forum guidelinesI know full well you have answered this question.  Your answer is not sufficient.  Originally, Turner Classic Movies was Ted Turner's gift to the cable users to keep old movies alive.  He didn't charge for it, like CNN originally (his brain child as well).  
You percieve low viewship, based on ratings?  What demographic are looking at. 
<Edited>.  Oh I have choices for streaming, well goodie for me, I can spend more somewhere else on top of it.
Face, when you live a an area and or place where you no choice, I don't care about bells and whistles.  You took something you had no reason to.  Problem renewing your contract because a network wants more money, as a business person I get it.  But this little old channel you just take away but I am lucky to have the "Jewelry Channel" that is for sure. 
You can right a wrong.  You can say sorry, we did realize there was viewers of the channel.
<Edited>

Highlighted
Contributor

TCM

I guess the short answer is really in the Service Agreement:

"If any material change negatively affects your Service(s), you have the right to cancel your Service(s). Your continued receipt of the Service(s) for more than 30 days after the change, however, will constitute your acceptance of the change."

So your choices are really:

1. Pay the money, enjoy TCM.  Maybe return uneeded adapters, buy a modem to help amortize costs.

2. Don't pay the money, keep the service.

3. Cancel and keep Internet and start streaming

4. Cancel service and get another provider.

Open to other suggestions.

Highlighted
New Poster

Turner Classic Movies

Add me to the viewers who will be cutting the cord. If I had competitors like YouTube or Dish, I would pay a lot more attention to what my customers are telling me they want!!

So much junk, and they need to charge more for one of the few channels with ad-free quality programming? And not bother to tell us about the change until it shows up when I try to tune in to the channel? And lock all discussions about it in the forum? Do you really need TCM to subsidize your sports package?

Your survey ("2 movies per month") is just ridiculous. <Edited>

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I want TCM back and don't get rid of STARZ

Since the other TCM thread won't let me add a reply, I am adding my comment in a new thread. I LOVE TCM. I pay a lot of money for cable (and internet and phone and extra boxes). I am a perfect example of what Comcast wants as a customer. I prefer to watch live TV vs. stream. I like LOTS of channels, which is why I subscribe to an expensive package. I would rather have cable than satellite or online services (like Sling). Seems like Comcast is trying to get rid of loyal customers like me. If I am forced to pay a la carte, then I will be getting rid of cable because it won't be worth it any longer.

I want TCM back (don't let them fool you; it is a very popular channel). And I pay extra for STARZ - more than what I would pay if I subscribed outside of Comcast. First they took away the app, and now they are getting rid of the channel, or at a minimum, the subchannels, which are as important to me as the channel since I like to scroll through the live programming.

And FYI - HITZ are not real channels. They look like real channels in the guide, but no mwtter what you select, they go to On Demand. I don't need more old movies in On Demand. That is why I had a package that included Cinemax. Thank goodness I was able to change to a less expensive and better package so I could stopped paying for MAX once it was taken away. Another bad move from Comcast.

What a shame that they want to get rid of their customers.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: I want TCM back and don't get rid of STARZ

I'm with you all the way on this. Outside of news programs during the early evening, TCM is my go-to choice. Am very disappointed it was moved to a higher tier. Listen, you greedy so-and-sos, TCM broadcasts primarily old movies, and very little original programming. I cannot see the need for Comcast to now charge customers extra - and to do so on the QT. It can only mean Comcast corporate is looking to squeeze more from their customers. Well folks, with this stunt, I am very strongly considering pulling the plug. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

TCM fans - Free classic tv and movies

I was upset when TCM was moved into an "extra" package. In fact I still am upset enough that I haven't purchased that package. However, when I went to ON DEMAND>NETWORKS, I found "Free classic TV and movies". There are hundreds of pre-1970 movies, many I have never even heard of before. Also many old TV series. It isn't a replacement for TCM, but it helps somewhat.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TCM fans - Free classic tv and movies

When we subscribe to a group of channels, you don't expect them to pick out the ones you watch and move them to another package and force peope to pay more. What I pay already is outrageous.

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

I was in the habit of recording Noir Alley every week and watching it later in the week at an earlier time in the evening. I don't give a flying <Edited> about sports but I do LOVE Noir Alley.
I would pay extra to see Noir Alley, but I am not even a little interested in the Comcast "Sports Package!." 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: TCM fans - Free classic tv and movies

I agree! I've lost Cinemax AND TCM. I don't feel like paying extra to get them, either. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Channel lineup

Please, who is in charge of delegating which TV channels apply to certain 'packages'? Why were they allowed to select Turner Classic ey as a SPORTS  line up? The classic old movies have NIL to qualify for the line up. I desire that my movie channel lineup be restored, the very reason I choose the 'bundle' was to watch TCM!
Highlighted
New Poster

Turner Classic Movie rip off

Just got off the phone with representative...no satisfactory answer to why they want an extra $10 for TCM... according to them only between 5 and 10 percent of their customers use that channel...very hard to believe . And IF they are going to move to a "pay" bundle move it with ACTUAL entertainment/movie channels...not redundant sports junk. Maybe then I would be willing to fork over another $5 or $10...maybe. But they did throw me a bone with 6 month free Showtime 🙄
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

TCM - Still Waiting - Still Angry

FOR COMCAST: It's been ~2 weeks since my TCM has been moved from my agreed upon contractual package. Please put it back! I have placed a deadline on this. If TCM is not returned to my lineup by that deadline, I will be cancelling my service, including internet.

FOR OTHER POSTERS: I purchased an Amazon 4K Fire Stick this weekend and signed up for YouTube TV. I am able to LIVE stream everything that I want--including TCM--with this service (watched TCM live this weekend in fact). It works wonderfully! Highly recommend. I also have an Apple TV connected to another television but need to upgrade to a newer version since its first generation and its capabilities are limited.

It's hard to believe that Comcast/Xfinity is intent on pushing customers like me away. I have an expensive package that I would have been content to keep paying for until this TCM bonehead move. I am upset that Cinemax has been removed from my package. I am upset that TCM has been removed from my package. I am upset that Starz is about to be removed from my package.

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM's change in status

I was surprised to find that TCM is now a subscription service and even more surprised to see it lumped into a sports subscription package.

What gives with that Xfinity?

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM moved to a Sports Package.... your kidding right???!!!

90% of customers watch less than 2 movies a month..... I find that hard to believe.... did Comcast forget to include all the retired senior citizens in their study, the one's  who love old movies??  You claim the move was to generate more value for your customers, but I really wonder if it was to create more value for Comcast.   Moving it to a "Sports Package," since when does a classic movie channel have any business being in a "Sports Package?"  I noticed you changed the name of the package from a "Sports Package" to a "Sports and Entertainment Package."  Nice forethought Comcast, did you think we wouldn't pick-up on your  guile,  deceit?  Am I angry and upset at this move, YES, I am.  Apart from the local news channels I only watch and enjoy about a dozen channels per month even though we have the Select package of 210+ channels.  It was bad enough that you kept stepping all over us and hiking the price up every month to parallel that of a car payment!  As far as I can remember TCM was part of the base or limited package, ever since the early 1970's, when we first subscribed to Comcast upon institution in CT,  and the only movie channel in the line-up dedicated classic movies and one of the reasons we subscribed to the package.  I read on one of your websites that customer satisfaction was first and foremost to you. is this the way you treat loyal customer's who helped you build the company and have never missed a payment since the 1970's, when I might add that the monthly fee was $9.00, or was it $12.00, a month!  Seems like the upper echelon at Comcast don't care who they step on as long as it improves their market share.  Maybe this is why their still number 2 in this respect.......

Highlighted
New Poster

TMC

I used to be able to watch movies on TMC.  Now all of a sudden I get a message saying that I need to buy a subscription to watch TMC.  The monthly bill goes up, the services go down.  The Xfinity way, I suppose.  When is Xfinity going to let us pick and choose the exact channels we want to watch?  I don't watch much TV - news, MASH reruns, NHRA drag racing, and old movies.  Now you have taken one of my choices away, and all for the amazing price of $225 a month!

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM Moving

WHY would you think classic movies and sports go together better than classic movies and all movie channels? PLEASE bring TCM back!!!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Programming

Removed by me for violating forum guidelinesXfinity Assistant

Hi, Steve. I'm the Xfinity Assistant, here to help you with your services.

I can help answer questions about your Xfinity services or troubleshoot problems. You can say things like: how much is my bill, troubleshoot TV, or when's my appointment.

Give me my TCM back - why <Edited>; claim low viewership and then put TCM in a Premium Package. It's Business 101 - you don't put lesser demand channels (as you claim with TCM) in a Sports Package with NHL, NBA, NFL, and MLB programming which clearly have a high demand; thus requiring premium cost to the consumer. <Edited> - no response is need; unless you're prepared to turn my TCM back on!

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

Give us TCM back..you know it's not viewership..its money..stop lying to customers
Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

Give us TCM back..you know it's not viewership..its money..stop lying to customers
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I would even pay an extra dollar for it on its own instead of as part of a Sports Package for $10
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

THE TCM HOMESICK BLUES

As I wrote weeks ago, I was able to get Comcast to give me two months free ($20 credit) of TCM before I would have to pay the $10.00 monthly TCM/Sports upgrade charge (end of November).
My current bill of course included the TCM/Sports package upcharge and not a penny's worth of the credit promised. Plus, I was charged a second time for a movie (John Wick) I watched in September and PAID for at the end of September billing cycle.
So after a phone call with a live customer service rep was I able to correct an erroneous $231 bill down to its proper $202 area.
Now I just got an Xfinity email indicating I must pay the balance of $29 on the $231 bill since I only paid $202 or else.
My love for TCM as well as Comcast in general is now rapidly fading.
TCM was wonderful in my origin program layout. I don't want any sports package to continue TCM and believe it or not , I truly do not mind paying Comcast bills that are correct and do not require 60-90 minutes of negotiations.
My TCM Homesick Blues is now my Comcast/Xfinity Homesick Blues.