Community Forum

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

Discontinuing TCM without notice is an outrage and the additional charge is unethical and dishonest. Everyone is talking about it in neighborhood associations , churches , clubs , civic asoociations , etc.

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

TCM Removed means that you just raised my bill $10
Cancel subscription!
Rip off Comcast
Lying reps blamed TCM-LIERS! and cheats
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TCM

They are shameless
Highlighted
New Poster

Return TCM to my current package

When will TCM be returned to my current packace???

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Return TCM to my current package

@JDITCM
You need to subscribe to the Sports Entertainment tier for that to happen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

@pressthisbet
Notice was in your August billing statement

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

TCM Protest/complaint

To whom it may concern: please view this message as a formal protest/complaint, of the decision to remove Turner Classic Movies from the channel line-up, (with no notice,or warning), and to group it into an additional cost sporting package. This decision will reflect on my renewal of services.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Loss of the best channel on TV and a reminder of our history

I don't know if this will be locked or deleted so their for I didn't put the word TCM in subjeect line. I am furious about Xfinity removing TCM from the line. When I switched from Dish to Xfinity my first question was if they had TCM. Yes of course! Well my contract is up in 3 months. No Christmas Thanksgiving or Halloween Scary movies to enjoy with my family and let's not forget the February oscar movie line up. Today I saw a show on PBS about Historical Facism by Rick Steves and it became obviously clear to me that this is one step closer to us losing our insight to historical past events! The movies from the 30 and 40 give us great education to who we were and what we overcame. The 50s and 60 an d 70s tackled american social issues. Lost is the educational opportunity. I'm not a senior citizen as desribed by the Comcast customer service rep explaining the audience of today. He was a fool to believe Comcast numbers. Fake news. Yesturday I was in Costco and they are promoting Atnt/Direct T.V. and on their basic tier is TCM. They even offered me money to switch right now. Thinking about it. I love the XFINITY internet but the TV wasn't as good as Dish so maybe it's time. Bring back TCM away froma sports package into standard packaging or loose one more customer. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Let's try this again.

I posted this once and had a few replies from other customers -- but no reply from Comcast AND my posting disappeared from public view (don't know why).  Might I have the courtesy of a reply from Comcast, or at least let me know why you didn't like my question?  Even a PM response would be fine.

What will I have?

I have the Digital Preferred Tier With Starz

I see on the new bill that Starz and Encore are being eliminated, and that Starz is being replaced by EPIX on, among other cable plans, the Digital Premier Tier.  Does that include the Digital Preferred Tier that I have since it includes Starz?  In other words, will EPIX be included in my Digital Preferred Tier in place of Starz?  I'd appreciate any information, thank you. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I agree! Everyone of ALL ages is furious. They make this a senior thing. You understand why the younger generation is only watching apps. 

When I switched from Dish to Xfinity my first question was if they had TCM. Yes of course! Well my contract is up in 3 months. No Christmas Thanksgiving or Halloween Scary movies to enjoy with my family and let's not forget the February oscar movie line up. Today I saw a show on PBS about Historical Fascism by Rick Steves and it became obviously clear to me that this is one step closer to us losing our insight to historical past events! The movies from the 30 and 40 give us great education to who we were and what we overcame. The 50s and 60 and 70s tackled American social issues. Lost is the educational opportunity. I'm not a senior citizen as described by the Comcast customer service rep explaining the audience of today. He was a fool to believe Comcast numbers. Fake news. Yesterday I was in Costco and they are promoting Atnt/Direct T.V. and one their basic tier is TCM. They even offered me money to switch right now. Thinking about it. I love the XFINITY internet but the TV wasn't as good as Dish so maybe it's time. Bring back TCM away from a sports package or lose one more customer. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Follow-Up To My 10-12-19 Post: TCM Removed from Previous Channel Line-Ups

I want to share with you the reply I received from Xfinity Corporate addressing my 10-12 post on this issue, and I am also sharing my reply back to them. THEIR REPLY:

Good morning  
My name is Ciera with the Office of Tom Karinshak and I appreciate you taking the time to contact us. I understand that you are upset due to Turner Classic Movies moving to our Sports and Entertainment Package. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that has been caused by this experience. As a consumer myself, I know how frustrating it can be to lose one of your favorite channels. I am more than happy to address your concerns.
 We provided notice to all of our customers that TCM would be moving on their August billing statements. Your statement printed on August 27, 2019 and you will see the notice on page 4 of 4. We highly recommend all of our customers review their billing statement as we put important notices such as channel changes and rate increased on your bill.  
All of our service agreements state the following: You will receive the Services listed in the Offer at the price(s) and subject to the conditions indicated in the Offer and as identified in the Order Confirmation. Other Services included in the Order Confirmation that are not part of the Offer are subject to the prices and terms for those Services as indicated in the Order Confirmation. Comcast may rearrange, delete, add to or otherwise change programming or features or offerings contained in its Services. You can view your service agreements at any time by logging in to Xfinity.com, going to settings, and then clicking on legal agreements on the left side of the screen.
 Every month, Comcast pays programmers like networks, local TV station owners and others, for the ability to bring their programming to you. We regularly review our programming and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering a wide variety of programming at the best value. We look at a variety of factors, including customer viewership and programming costs when making these decisions. Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this and contractual limitations on offering TCM a la carte, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package, which will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it.

While our Sports and Entertainment Package includes some popular sports channels, like NFL Red Zone and some college sports networks, in most areas, it also offers several non-sports channels, like Military History, Crime & Investigation and CM. I hope this information was helpful in understand why TCM was moved into the Sports and Entertainment package. 
I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us, and allowing us the opportunity to address your concerns. Thank you for being part of the Comcast family!
 Sincerely, 
Ciera H. 
Office of Tom Karinshak

MY REPLY BACK:

I appreciate your taking the time to reply to me, Ciera, and am sending you a brief follow-up reply. First, I regret that you basically repeated the canned, bromide rationale for moving TCM which I requested you to not repeat in my original email on this matter. Second, the fine legal print that you quote was in no way easily visible to us when we made the package deal with Xfinity; in any event, it is significant enough that it should be disclosed verbally. Third, I am being billed paperlessly, and my August online billing statement makes no mention of the TCM change. Fourth, and most importantly: where do you get this data that 90% of your customers view less than 2 movies per month??!! This appears to be unfortunate fake news. If it were true, why would I have STARZ included in my package and Showtime on a trial basis? You have countless pay-for-view movie offerings. This statistic that you state is suspiciously untrue, I would say.

So now I will consider whether to back out of the package agreement with Xfinity, and if I do so, it will be with no early termination fees, you can be sure.

What more can I say, folks, except that you all keep complaining about this.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Let's try this again.

Stick with your original thread and wait for a response there. It’s been escalated for a response. This is mainly a peer to peer forum. This thread is closed

Highlighted
New Poster

Return TCM to my channel lineup

I want to add my protest to the others regarding your arrogant and cavalier action.  I signed up for and am paying for a specific selection of channels.  If you don't like your deal any longer, you should renegotiate; not just make unilateral changes to try to manipulate me into giving you even more moiney.  I don't care about your fine print.  That should cover things outside your control; not changes you make at your own option. 

So I add my voice to the other extremely dissatisfied customers:  PUT IT BACK!!!

I'll remember this as other options develop for me.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Return TCM to my channel lineup

I agree.  Bring back TCM

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

TCM is not a sports channel!

Not a question. Just a major complaint about making TCM a premium channel and to add insult to injury, you have to pay for a sports package (!) to watch. I know Xfinity says not enough people watch TCM, but it is one of my favorite channels, and paying for sports channels that I have no interest in, so I can watch classic movies is inane.

An extremely bad & insensitve policy on Xfinity's part.

Highlighted
New Poster

Dropping of TCM-not good Xfinity!

Just want to express my disappointment over Xfinity dropping channel TCM in our line up of channels that we are already paying too much for.  It was one of the few channels that we regularly watched.  Now subscribers are told that to get it back it will be another $10 per month.  Really?  How can you take away something that we signed up and paid for?  We are already paying for Netflix since there is nothing of interest on Xfinity!  Very disappointed and will be cutting the cable as soon as possible.

Highlighted
New Poster

You couldn't have said it better...  totally agree!  If they are switching up channels in the lineup we are currently paying for- why not grandfather in those people in?  We are not getting what we signed up for!  Period.  Shame on Xfinity.

Highlighted
New Poster

Is anyone at Xfinity even listening to our protests about TCM being taken away from us?  I doubt it.  They only care about getting as much money as possible out of us.  Who at Xfinity is responsible for this decision?  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

TCM removal

Based on the number of complaints on this and other forums, it was a huge mistake to remove TCM from the digital starter package and move it to the Sports Entertainment package. TCM was the only commercial-free classic movie channel available to us, and we will NOT be paying an additional fee for the Sports package just to get TCM back. Please put it back where it belongs.

Highlighted
New Poster

I enjoy TBN which has been removed

For years my wife and I who are Seniors have enjoyed TBN and now to have it restored it it true we will have to have a new package that will have many more Sports Channels.  We have enough Sports Channels to watch and do not want anymore.  We would really like to be able to watch TBN and we like to watch TBN at least  3 or more times a week.  Please can we have TBN restored for we can watch many of our favorite movies from the past and ones we would like see agan. 

Thank you   Al and Rose Messick (age 86 both)

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

There 2 things I love to watch , old movies and baseball. Hat the heck did you do with TCM....?  Why would you not tell your customer s before a programming change..? Where the heck is it?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

@5361joey
Check your August statement, as of Oct 10, you’ll need the Sports and Entertainment tier for access to TCM

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Getting to the heart of TCM change

On indiewire.com, there was an article regarding the change Comcast made regarding TCM. According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, TCM is owned by AT&T and Warner Media, which will be hosting its own streaming service. The belief is this change has more to do with a Comcast competitor owning TCM than their supposed data of not many people watching the channel.
Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

Seems we are not an appreciated customer. Planned on switching other location to comcast but now I'm considering leaving them  and signing up for the streaming services rather. More flexibility and lower cost. 

This gor my wife completely against Comcast and favoring direct which we have elsewhere. If they don't lower price Comcast is gone. 

Sports I have no interest in beyond espn that we have .

Highlighted
New Poster

Agreed. Virtually no viewer who watches TCM is likely  to use the rest of the Sports Package. There ought to be an affinity among channels in a package. We shall begin tomorrow to shop for another provider.

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM removed from packages and is now a subscription! NO!!!!!

Comcast placing TCM in a subscription package is WRONG!! It has been part of the regular lineup for most or all of TMC’s life. I watch the channel often. I just ordered new service on October 8th at which TCM was part of the packages on my new three year contract. Now you want me to pay more!!!! Very disappointing Comcast. You are better that this. Please place a TCM back in the preferred, premier, premier plus line up.
Highlighted
New Poster

NO TCM????

I'm very upset that Comcast has chose to bundle TCM with a  Sports package! I may switch providers. I feel I pay too much already and I don't think people who watch sports channels are really going to watch TCM. If you have to take away , at least bundle it with other movie channels. I'll be waiting for a change, hope it is soon!

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM off

I have read a lot of the posts about the change, all negative, is Comcast going to do something about it?

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

<Edited> who thought it would be a good idea to fleece their customers by making them buy a sports package to get the TCM movie channel? <Edited> does a movie channel have to do with sports <Edited>

Regular Contributor

Not all of us received notice TCM was moving

We keep being told some version of:

"Check your August statement, as of Oct 10, you’ll need the Sports and Entertainment tier for access to TCM "

My August statement makes NO mention of TCM (see below). And neither do the September nor October statements.

I copied this directly from the PDF file of my August statement (and a search finds NO occurrence of "TCM") -

Account Number   removed

Billing Date     Aug 06, 2019

Services From    Aug 16, 2019 to Sep 15, 2019

Page3 of 3

Additional information

Please call Comcast at 1-800-934-6489 if you have any questions regarding the charges billed to your account.

Franchise Authority:  [removed]

Xfinity Account Updates: We have made updates to our billing system, and you have now received a new Xfinity account number. If you use online bill pay through your bank, please make sure to update your payment settings with your new account number. You can view your bill anytime on xfinity.com/myaccount.

Account Update: Effective with this bill, you may see some adjustments to your taxes and fees as a result of a billing system update.

Xfinity TV Update: Effective August 21, 2019, FX+ is discontinuing its service nationwide. You will only be billed through August 21st then we will automatically remove the service from your account.

You have 120 days from the date of this bill to dispute any charges included on this bill.

Moving? Visit xfinity.com/moving today to help you stay connected to all of your Xfinity services. Are you a business owner? Did you know Comcast offers a full array of Internet, Voice and Video products designed to help businesses meet all of their telecommunications needs? Visit http://business.comcast.com/ today for details about special offers and promotions. Not all products and services available inall areas. Certain restrictions apply.

Upcoming Programmer Contract Expirations: Information on upcoming programmer contract expirations can be found at http://my.xfinity.com/contractrenewals or by calling 1-866-216-8634.

Highlighted
New Poster

COMcast bosses:READ THIS

I'm a longtime contented COMcast customer;your agents have generaly been helpful and I've no issues with service or  even prices. But I hate your dropping TCM --- and offering it with a sports package. A very bad business decision and realy unfair to your customers. I am actively lookiing for other entertainment options now--as are hundreds if not thousands. Your best option: restore TCM. Quick.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Not all of us received notice TCM was moving

@ggeinec wrote: ... "Check your August statement, ...

Posters sometimes make the mistake of assuming that everyone's statement looks the same.

In South-Central PA, my statement for "Billing Date Aug 05, 2019 | Services From Aug 10, 2019 to Sep 09, 2019" includes the same FX+ notice you posted, and nothing about TCM. But the next statement, for "Billing Date Sep 05, 2019 | Services From Sep 10, 2019 to Oct 09, 2019" includes this:

Xfinity TV Update: Effective October 10, 2019, TCM will move to the Sports Entertainment Package and will no longer be available with Expanded Basic, Digital Preferred, Xfinity Economy Plus Latino TV, or Xfinity Starter Latino TV.

"No longer available" is kinda misleading, since it IS still available. But it's no longer INCLUDED with the plans listed.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

TCM

I would love an explanation concerning the removal of TCM from the standard channel line, and bundling it with a group of sports and military history channels. It would be my guess that the demographics for these three groupings are completely dissimilar. Please advise how this move fits into your concern to raise the public's view of customer service among subscribers. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TCM -Channel change

I will drop comcast, stream HULU. Lower cost, better picture, east and west coast feeds, a win win unless you work for comcast.   

<Edited>

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Why is Turner Classic Movies now going to cost ~$30/month more?

Am unhappy that Comcast has removed Turner Classic Movies from our basic package to be lumped in with sports. To make it worse, if you add the $9.95 sports package, am not able to get TCM  on the TV adapters. If you want to get TCM via the Sports package on your TV, you can only receive it on your VCR box. So, I would need to replace my two TV adapters with a Comcast VCR TV box — adding an addition $20 (above the $9.95) to my monthly bill. Aaaargh. Comcast doesn’t care–it doesn’t have to. 😞

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Why is Turner Classic Movies now going to cost ~$30/month more?

@jodell121890mi
You could use 2 Rokus and use the Xfinity Stream app and get rid of the DTAs instead of upgrading them.

Highlighted
New Poster

I could not agree more with you. The logic of moving it to the sports package escapes me. WTG Comcast.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: TMC

I've had enough! This is about saving Comcast/NBC/Universal (and their holdings/subsidiaries) vested interests in the “sports genre” and NOT about Comcast’s customers being given value for their money. One has to ask himself/herself: “What’s all this hoopla about cord-cutting??? Specifically adding TCM to a “sports package” doesn’t make sense and clearly is NOT a value to those who watch that (TCM) channel.... so WHY BOTHER even offering the channel at all if it (TCM) is such a hindrance to Comcast’s channel lineup??? It is well known and common knowledge that sports (comparatively speaking) remains as a big portion of Comcast’s revenue BUT the fact remains, sports viewership continues to decline. (I’m not going to get into a debate on here as to why sports viewership is declining… that’s an entirely different discussion). There was NO effort whatsoever from Comcast/NBC/Universal to prorate or refund customers in response to the cutback in programming.  To continually invalidate and “bundle” a channel every few months (and disrespect the paying customers watching those channels) is a feeble, short-sighted attempt to maximize revenue and to rescue/support  a declining sports viewership at the expense of  “non-sports” customers. Comcast’s lucrative “sports interests” surely does NOT need “meek and insignificant” TCM to survive… (or does it? …. just sayin’….)

Highlighted
New Poster

Tcm

Either I need to drop xfinity or they need to fix this,just lost tcm..

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Why is Turner Classic Movies now going to cost ~$30/m -- and why should I buy 2 Rokus at over $50"

Or, as an option suggested by CC Andrew, why is "using 2 Rokus" (at > $50) to replace my Xfinity TV adapters -- and then resort to streaming?
I'm sorry, but the extra cost and inconvenience is a bridge too far for me. 
Again, Comcast doesn’t care–it doesn’t have to. 😞
Highlighted
New Poster

Locked TCM thread: Alternatives

As Xfinity continues to mis-manage the fallout from taking TCM (Turner Classic Movies) away from thousands of its customers, including muzzling them by locking threads on its own forums, it's time to consider other options for communicating displeasure over its ill-conceived decision. They maintain a Twitter presence at @ComcastCares, @comcast and @2656463. There are also a number of other related Twitter accounts and hashtags at which complaints are being registered at a very high rate. You can also find xfinity and comcast, as well as other, related groups, on Facebook. Just type comcast or xfinity into Facebook Search. If you find you cannot post there, there is a blue Send Message button just below the banner image. And if you visit the corporate.comcast.com sitemap and click through Media Contacts, you'll find email addresses for a number of Directors, Vice Presidents, etc. for Corporate Communications.

Highlighted
New Poster

Another TCM thread to delete

I'm canceling.

$179 a month xfinity won't be getting from me anymore. Luckily, I live in Chattanooga, TN and we have fiber and TV through our local power company, so I don't care if I'm breaking contract. 

Good riddance. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Reduction is Services (TCM and local weather channel) Without Appropriate Reduction in Fee

Comcast has once again lowered my level of service without due compensation.  Sounds like grounds for a class actionj lawsuit.  Restore Turner Classic Movies and the local weather channel or commensurately reduce my fee.  I've spent alot of money on this company and it did like all companies do, dissappoint.  Hoping to unplug soon.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Reduction is Services (TCM and local weather channel) Without Appropriate Reduction in Fee

Same here. I'm done with this company. Filed a complaint with FTC and FCC.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Reduction is Services (TCM and local weather channel) Without Appropriate Reduction in Fee

Probably should read completely the documents provided when you signed up for service.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
New Poster

Dropped TCM from by entertainment package?

I will drop you, Comcast.  I have had enough of paying for worthless programming that I do not watch while you find ways to charge more for the few channels we do watch.

I see why cord cutting has become so popular among many former cable subscribers.  Now it's my turn to investigate how I can join their club.   Cable companies are no less than predators looking to offer customers the least and charge the most for it.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

TCM moved to Sports Entertainment- No!

Comcast moved TCM movie channel to the Sports Entertainment package.  Are you kidding me?  I had to change to that package losing 3 channels, FX, IFC & National Geographic for one, TCM @ a slightly higher rate.  Once again, TCM is a MOVIE CHANNEL, NOT SPORTS!  I’ve been a  customer since 2004. Put TCM back to its rightful home!

Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast takes away TCM from lineup

I am very angry to find out that my favorite channel TCM has been taken away from my lineup. I signed a 2 year agreement in May 2019 with Comcast with the understanding that TCM was in place for my viewing. Seems to me that they do not care about their loyal customers complaints concerning this. The utter nerve to now charge an additional fee for TCM that was part of the basic subscription. If they don't restore it to my lineup, then after 2 years I will look for another provider.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Comcast takes away TCM from lineup

I agree I can give them a list of channels I would give up to get TCM back.

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM Gone ???

So outraged! TCM replaced by another sports channel!!!
Time to stop subscribing to
Xfinity! We lost CMT and now another favorite movie channel. 😡 Comcast increased our monthly bill without notification. We will be canceling everything. We will purchase a digital antenna and we will stick with Netflix!
What an awful way to do business, Xfinity!