Community Forum

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

New Poster

Re: WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

You have just created another cord cutter.  I am also selling the shares of comcastcast stock I inheirited.  I only invest in companies I beleive in and support. Bye. 

New Poster

If TCM viewership is so low, why did the guy at the Comcast store I just left tell me that they had received multiple repeated complaints about this bad move. if it's a such a money loser, why don't you get rid of some of the things I never watch. Like foreign language channels. I should be able to opt out of any channel that broadcast in a language that I don't speak. I don't watch sports. I should be able to opt out of all sports channels if I want to and I certainly shouldn't have to pay a regional sports fee. I don't understand why you don't want to keep the loyal customers you have.
Frequent Visitor

TMC Removal

Since Comcast has removed TMC and failed to inform all of us they were doing so, I think whoever doesn't agree with this move should request paper billing. Comcast will have to pay to generate the bill and mail it to us, and will have to pay someone to process the check sent in......this will cause them to have to hire more people.....<Edited>. It will also stimulate the economy, by creating more jobs. <Edited>

I don't think we realize how much money we've saved Crumbcast over the years having our credit cards billed, instead of paying by check.

New Poster

Re: TCM BEING SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER

In June of this year, I paid for a higher priced package which included TCM in a two year contract.  I’ve been an fan of TCM for over 20 years.  Like many others, I also don’t believe that TCM had low viewership.  I will not be upgrading my plan to a sports package when I don’t watch sports.  TCM was among basically four other channels I watch regularly on cable.  The only reason I didn’t “cut the cord” was to keep TCM.  I will be looking into downgrading my service until my contract expires.  My source for viewing old classic movies will now be Prime video, YouTube, ok.ru and other online resources.  I also have DVD and VCR collections of my favorite old movies.  Still, I’m very disappointed that Comcast made this decision. I hope it will soon be reversed. 

Regular Visitor

TCM Moving to Sports Package

The reason Comcast is moving TCM to a Sports Package is simple...to make more money. If you are among the many who are justifiably upset and disturbed by this change, I suggest registering a complaint with the FCC. You purchased a service for a set price and now the terms of that "contract" have been changed. So, if new subscribers are willing to pay for the TCM/Sports Package (what a joke!), that's fine. But your complaint to the FCC should be that existing customers need to be grandfathered so that they continue to have access to TCM without paying more for additional channels they are unlikely to want. To file a complaint with the FCC, search for: FCC Consumer Complaint Center.

New Poster

Re: TCM

This is so absurd. My bill has more than doubled and now they're pulling one of the best things. We are moving in the spring and there is NO WAY we will sign with Comcast. Just a bunch of Pirates.
Contributor

Re: Turner Classic Movies

@hepuesta wrote:

It is well known and common knowledge that sports (comparatively speaking) remains as a big portion of Comcast’s revenue BUT the fact remains, sports viewership continues to decline. (I’m not going to get into a debate on here as to why sports viewership is declining… that’s an entirely different discussion). To continually invalidate and “bundle” a channel every few months (and disrespect the paying customers watching those channels) is a feeble, short-sighted attempt to maximize revenue and to rescue/support  a declining sports viewership at the expense of  “non-sports” customers. Comcast’s lucrative “sports interests” surely does NOT need “meek and insignificant” TCM to survive… (or does it?)

Outstanding post! You took the words right out of my mouth and wrote them in a much easier understood manner than I would have.

It has ALWAYS griped me when they began adding the "Regional Sports Fee" and "Broadcast TV Fee" to our bills. First, why are we forced to subsidize the numerous and varied sports interests of others? If you are a TRUE fan of a particular sport or team, pay for a package like we do from MLB.tv for the one team we are fans of? Why force everyone to pay for the others who think they are entitled to 100 channels (or whatever the number may be) of sports entertainment?

I could care less about regional sports and most likely, the vast majority of viewers in the region feel the same way but still I have to pay $8.25 a month so others can keep up with their interests.

Same goes for Broadcast TV Fee - maybe I do not quite understand this one but I could care less about getting my major networks like NBC, CBS or ABC from a local provider. Get it directly from the network, if I want local news, I will check the local broadcasting networks website or our Daughter will tell us about it. Yet another $8.75 a month and ever increasing, just like the regional sports fee.

For the Marketing geniuses at Comcast - why don't you get a focus group of over age 60 and find out what they want to watch and make a Senior Citizen Package available to them instead of continually foisting your every increasing fees, number of unwanted channels upon us?

For other Comcast subscribers with contracts - BEWARE - earlier in this thread I recall someone who was going to change their plan to just internet for $79.95 (I believe it was) but Comcast offered them a big lineup of channels for an additional $5.00 for a total of $84.95.

BEWARE: $84.95 is just the beginning - on top of that you have the $17 (or more) in Regional Sports and Broadcast TV fees + Franchise Fees - $4.36 (at least in our area) + Service to additional TV - $6.99 + Service Protection Plan - $5.95 (yes, I knowt this one is optional) - so in reality you must add another $34.30 to your monthly bill which adds up to over $400.00 additional a year...that is at least 4 weeks of groceries for my Wife and I.

From now to the time my contract is up next March I will be investing in my own infastructure, i.e., equipment necessary to cut the cord, at least for the TV. I figure saving $400 next year will more than offset any equipment investment I will make but pay me the long term dividends over the years to come.

Contributor

@JSC51 wrote:

Ok, so as to keep beating this dead horse, I'll chime in as well. It's fairly obvious that the sports and entertainment package wasn't selling. TCM is a staple in our house (7 TV's) and some days it's all we watch. If it weren't very popular they'd have left it alone and moved something else to force us into an additional $10 per month. My current bill with cable, Internet and phone bundled is $250 per month which is our limit. We like most of you are looking for alternatives to be free of Comcast and as soon as we've figured a way out we're dumping them.

Truer words. 

New Poster

There obviously is no logic to it.  Placing TCM in a sports package is ridiculous.  My bill goes up inch by inch, a couple dollars here and there just about every other month, but it's "going up because of improvements?"  Not really.  Sounds like many of us are getting tired of price hikes and stupid moves like this.  Comcast is NOT customer friendly.

Contributor

One thing you can do is look around the house and see if you have any Comcast equipment you don't need.  Renting a modem?  Buy one.  Extra little used cable adapters?  Return them.

Contributor

@statenisland wrote:

The whole idea of tying it to sports is really insane. I'm wondering whether money is involved in this crazy idea.

It's ALWAYS about the Benjamins.

New Poster

TCM is one of the only channels we watch on our already $195 monthly bill.  We too have hung in there with rate hikes, bad service, and more.  :-(   So, so, so, angry, and frustrated.  It's always one thing after another.  Thank you Comcast for providing the motivation to finally cut the cord.  There's nothing worth watching on your lousy line up.

New Poster

You are right time to go. We need to stand up. I love TCM but I will not be held hostage. Instead of getting me for $10 more they will lose $200. I hope enough people boycott what is nothing but corrupt business practices. Since Customers are getting reduced services & losing channels where is the rebate? My price went up 6% and now getting less than I signed up for. COMCAST is charging you a $10 free TV FEE. Be sure to sign up for the class action suit.
New Poster

Re: TCM GONE COMCAST TOO

I posted earlier, that I believe those of us who primarily watch TCM, are loyal customers. With so many young people cutting cable for streaming., They've got to squeeze the most out of those who are left. I also mentioned when I called yesterday I was told that TCM was responsible for this. Not buying that one. I am like the rest of you, tolerated alot for cable for many many years...this is really a slap in the face, and an obvious example of greed and taking advantage of a specific population. Shame on Comcast.
New Poster

There are several internet services that provide TCM as part of their packages. If your only high speed internet option is from comcast you will still have to pay them for interent to use this services. You can read more info here:  https://flixed.io/watch-tcm-without-cable/

New Poster

There are several internet services that provide TCM as part of their packages. If your only high speed internet option is from comcast you will still have to pay them for interent to use this services. You can read more info here:  https://flixed.io/watch-tcm-without-cable/

This website will also help you cut the cord. I will be using it to figure out what I am going to do. I just wish there was a non-comcast high-speed internet service where I live. 

New Poster

Re: TCM change

I can’t believe after 30+ years of paying extra for Comcast cable they take away the one channel I truly value. It seems like I’m going to be forced to cut the wire now...

ken 

New Poster

I agree. I didn’t realize this had happened until I tried to watch TCM this afternoon. I’m so frustrated. TCM has been a go to channel for us for 15 years. It shouldn’t be a premium option. It’s basic cable stuff. I’m going to the Google fiber store this week to check my options.
New Poster

I too am VERY upset about this extortion and will be dumping everything but my internet connection, which I only have because you have a monopoly. Oh, and I may cancel my mobile account, too, I’m so insulted by this blatant disregard for your customers.
Frequent Visitor

Re: First Cinemax is removed, now TCM, Bio's are still gone, Customer Service Lacks

With TCM moved to a "sports package" , where is my ala carte option to just keep TCM? Are you also dropping the cost of my over $260 package as well? ( Only a double play subscription). You didn't discount my subscription when cinemax was removed. What is my discount for dropping HITZ which isn't really a channel? You really know how to move a customer to take drastic actions...
New Poster

After 17+ years I switched to Comcast Cable to save money (in a package deal).  In that time I have had the following problems (since May 2019)

• More outages and technical problems than I every recall having with DishTV in the 17 years I have had them.
  • When trying to remove billing for a second TV Comcast accomplished this  C omcast acomplished this by changing me to a different package, with less channels than what I was contracted for.
  • Problems getting HD programming, even though I am paying for it.
  • Loosing Starz, WGN America and a number of other channels which i had previously
  • Lossing TCM, which I had previously.

There is NO doubt in my mind that when I move I am going back to DishTV!  There is no doubt in my mind that I ma canceling the security system, (which was part of my cost savings package and which offers lousy service compared to ADT)

I am also planning to do the following and I suggest any of you who are as most disturbed about Comcast as I am also do:

• Filing a complaint with my state's attorney general's office.  Even though Comcast is a national company they still have to abide my state laws and regulations.
  • Filing a complaint with the FCC (Federal Communications Commision).  

Make your voices heard.  Heck, I might even write a letter to Donald Trump!  He has a reputation for telling folks what he thinks!.

New Poster

TCM programming

I don't have a question .... I have a statement.

Making TCM part of a sports package is ridiculous. I watch TCM regularly and have no interest in supporting sports channels or the associated overpayed sports personalities at all.

Xfinity is going to force me to start looking into streaming services whether I want to or not. It is hard for me to see this as anything other than an attempt to get more people to pay for sports networks that are way overpriced ... even though the offical statement would make you believe the opposite.

Xfinity is going to lose customers ... just accelerating the trend away from the wire.

New Poster

This is so absurd. My bill has more than doubled and now they're pulling one of the best things. We are moving in the spring and there is NO WAY we will sign with Comcast. Just a bunch of Pirates.
New Poster

I don't watch sports. I watch TCM. Thanks a lot Comcast and keep the prices going up.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the pretty, meaningless, words.

New Poster

I NEVER received a notice that TCM was being removed from my channels. When I called the woman read me a reply from management why the change. Had to stop her when she said TCM was receiving low viewership. Which does not make sense There are channels like viceland, axstv and MiND tv that I never watch and yet they are on my channel list. Comcast if you are reading this. STOP IT before you lose more members. Just because you want to make an extra $10 a month from your members will not justify the lost of revenue from members that are leaving you for Hulu or Direct TV
New Poster

Just found out that Comcast has done the classic bait and switch.  Can't wait for my current subscription to expire so I can dump it.

Regular Visitor

Re: WHY IS TMC BEING GROUPED IN WITH A SPORTS CHANEL??? THIS IS NOT GOOD !!!

This is just another dumb idea from Comcast to get more money for less service.  I just resigned but am willing to pay the cancel fee just to dump them. 

New Poster

TCM removed from tier to more expensive SPORTS PACKAGE?

This is ridiculous and one more way to get you to pay more additionally each month without providing more or better service for the cost.  The writing is on the wall...cord cutting is starting to hurt them...this is not the way to keep customers.

New Poster

why change my package.<br>What does TMC have to do with sports . Not happy here
New Poster

I agree. Why! TCM and sports don't go together. 

Marijane

New Poster

Re: TCM Being Placed in Extra Cost Tier

We live in Doylestown and we received our notice Friday. It is not making anyone happy.

Regular Visitor

At least you got a notice

Frequent Visitor

This is OUTRAGEOUS!
This is cause after ten years of being a loyal customer to just say “ENOUGH” to move over to DISH! They have a better quality pictures more channels and a special .$55/mo for two years

Screw Comcast and their Greed!
Regular Visitor

Comcast raises prices on us on the slide.They know older folks like to watch TMC.Now they can get another $10 bucks out of us.They never reduce prices from the package they removed it from.Remember when we got free adapters for our extra tv’s.They raise the price on that a little at a time.
New Poster

Where is TCM

This is absurd. We sign up for a package for a price. Did they add a replacement channel? How do they just ‘remove’ a channel for which we have paid? Our monthly $ should go down if they are deleting channels. Outrageous, wrong, shame on you!!!!!
Regular Visitor

I am retired, living on a  fixed income.  Social Security is increasing next year by only 1.6%.  Comcast's increases will be much more than that you can be sure.  Now they're  hitting us with a 5% increase just to watch TCM (which was originally part of the package I subscribed to - bate and switch?)

I'll have to make a move to another provider soon.  The sooner the better.

New Poster

MOVING TCM

This is not fair, we pay $180+ a month for our cable to be able to watch decent programming and good classic movies, I as well as my father in law and wife enjoy this channel, and sure as heck you won't lower the prices to compensate for this, but probably raise them higjer, ourselves as well as others are seriously considering cancelling our subscription
New Poster

Contract

I ordered digital preferred to get TCM and have a 2…year contract. Taking away TCM and putting it on a sports tier  is not following what I was promised. It may be worth it to me to pay  the penalty due to this and get another server. This kind of sneaky business is not a consumer friendly one and I am extremely unhappy I do not even watch sports.  Today I will research another server. Not cool doing this at all. Shame on you. 

New Poster

When my contract is up I am done.  To remove a channel from people who have a contract is just bad.  

New Poster

I am sure it has all been said so my comment is TCM took away my 25 year love affair with vintage movies.  Robert Osbourne, Ben and all of the guests and hosts I looked forward to and for what?  What is really absurd is a "SPORTS PACKAGE"  you cheap people?  Ted who is running the show there?  I am sad forever over this blunder!

Frequent Visitor

Piling on to keep frustrations alive....the TCM move to a sports package, absent of any real explanation or facts to help justify (yes, we know the ‘best answer’ to this thread is weak at best) completely disrespects customers. 

We all realize costs increase and invariably get passed on to customers, especially when services grow in popularity. Netflix and Amazon Prime are good examples, both have had numerous cost increases as service popularity grew which no customer is happy with, although are usually accompanied by some sort of explanation to help the pill go down a bit easier. Yes Xfinity, programming costs go up, it is the way you approach passing them along to your customers that frustrates everyone. 

Sidebar: The whole cable TV structure as it currently exists is not sustainable, with more and more internet streaming options available Xfinity’s days of TV over coax are numbered. You can see it now with their beta streaming app on platforms like Roku, they are teeing up to compete with the likes of Hulu/others and most likely shift their focus on being a primary ISP to then implement take data caps (yes, just like cellular providers), just look at how much their standalone 300mb up/10mb down internet costs now, $90+per month.

Believe me, I am not advocating on behalf of Xfinity although TCM is most likely not an innocent victim here. It is likely Xfinity and TCM went through a contract negotiation where TCM demanded increase of X due to the extreme popularity of their channel among Xfinity customers and instead of Xfinity management using logic and real analytics they disrespected its customer base by not being transparent. 

Choosing to add a near hidden blurb on page x of an august bill that TCM will move to a sports package, most likely as an attempt to provide CPR to a package that is failing, is wrong by anyone’s logic. It would have been far less painful if Xfinity would have a) been transparent on the rational for moving TCM (I am not referring to the weak, canned answer provided to this thread or in the media) and b) offering TCM as a stand-alone subscription channel for $5.99 per month (similar services like acorn tv). 

Bottom line, despite customer outrage there will be no compassionate, customer first response to move TCM back. TCM diehards now need to make difficult choices, either give in to Xfinity or seek alternatives. However, if your sole high speed ISP option is currently Xfinity then it is inevitable they will eventually get back any saving + more when the cord is cut....I personally am expecting it.
Highlighted
Contributor

I just wanted to let Comcast know that I too am disapointed that they have moved TCM to a sport package that I'm not interested in.   Isn't there a better solution? 

New Poster

Lame excuses by Comcast. With all the new streaming services, they may be writing their own epitaph by making it harder to go to them for basic services. When contracts are up, they may find more are leaving their once all encompassing service for the ones we can get elsewhere. I may love to watch TCM, but I won’t be strong-armed to pay more for something that was included for the longest time, especially when you have their premium tier already. I can always buy the movies I love to watch, pay the one fee and not worry about the TCM channel. Comcast’s loss for being more interested in money grabbing than customer service. And I would love to see their data that shows only a 10% usage by customers. However, even so, putting it in a sports package is utterly ridiculous. What do they have in common? Sounds to me that the Sports package wasn’t selling. So let’s put a popular channel like TCM in that so we sell more. Just my opinion but my money won’t be wasted. Sorry, Comcast, not buying the story nor the added cost.
New Poster

TCM gone!

Learn about the most common financial frauds and scams targeting seniors...make the watchers of TCM pay for a sports package they will not watch???

New Poster

GIVE US BACK TCM!!!

I am adding my voice to the many others speaking up this week who find the move of the TCM network to some upgraded sports bundle it is ridiculous and unfair!!

Those of us who never watch sports have already had to swallow the absurd regional sports fee you levy on us every month, and now some genius has decided to extort us even further by hijacking one of the few commercial free movie channels and lump it in with a bunch more sports channels we do not want and will not watch to the tune of $10 more per month. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Cable companies like Comcast need to wake up and stop punishing those of us customers who have chosen to remain with them. With so many other non-cable options available, you need to evolve with the times and replace these non-sensical channel bundles and packaged price deals that some out-of-touch executive devises in a vacuum, without customer input, and start offering a la carte bundles that allow users to customize which channels we want to pay for.

After years of resisting moving my phone and internet to a single provider, I finally broke down and chose Comcast a couple of years ago. I had been happy with the triple play bundle pricing, but with those prices going up and the channel selection going down, rest assured I will be reconsidering this decision.

It's a shame that the highly compensated corporate executives do not see the short-sightedness of putting profits ahead of customers' satisfaction. Come on Comcast!! Your customers are speaking up loud and clear - can you hear?? Do you care??

GIVE US BACK TCM!!!

New Poster

Re: SPORTS PACKAGE CHANNELS

I agree this is ridiculous they should have put it with other movie channels not sports!!
New Poster

TCM

Comcast taking advantage of seniors again! To group TCM with sports channels and make it a package so they can charge $9.99 more is criminal. Someone should sue them !
New Poster

TCM removal...

I'm extremely disappointed by the removal of TCM from my package; it us utterly ridiculous to attch it to some huge 'Sports Package' that I have literally NO interest in purchasing. C'mon guys; put it back....its one of the primary reasons I agreed to the package I have. Totally UNFAIR to do this....
Frequent Visitor

I am adding my comments to this thread as the mega-thread is not allowing replys.

I have been a Comcast customer since 2005 but this latest scam of removing TCM from the Digital Preferred Package and moving to an additional monthly fee package smacks of arrogance on Comcast's part.  They claim low viewership but given the comments flowing in this appears to be a bogus argument.  This is all about more money from their customers.  My current monthly bill is over $150 and I cringe every month paying because I don't feel I get anywhere near the value for what they are charging me.  I already have dozens of channels in the package that I never watch yet the one that my wife and I watch almost daily is the one they pull.  Well Comcast, guess what, you are about to loose a long time customer.  Fortunately, I live in an area with more than one high-speed Internet offering and with over-the-air, Sling TV, YouTube TV, Hulu and others, cutting the cord is looking like a better way to go.  Once my two-year contract expires it is adios to Comcast.  There is a reason cord cutting is becoming the best option for many and this is just a perfect example.